Exhaust questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Exhaust questions

These seem to be a very expensive mod, typically $500. Are they worth it?

How much of a real difference does this make in performance? Also is there an after market alternative that is not irritatingly loud and legal in places that have noise restrictions? Also does the stock exhaust contain a catalytic converter or is it just a muffler? I can't see spending this kind of money to get a different exhaust sound but if it makes a significant difference in performance and/or mileage ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
These seem to be a very expensive mod, typically $500. Are they worth it?

How much of a real difference does this make in performance? Also is there an after market alternative that is not irritatingly loud and legal in places that have noise restrictions? Also does the stock exhaust contain a catalytic converter or is it just a muffler? I can't see spending this kind of money to get a different exhaust sound but if it makes a significant difference in performance and/or mileage ...
I got an aftermarket exhaust to get a better sound and for looks and its about 10lbs lighter than stock. For performance if it did anything i didn't notice it, not worth the money if thats the reason you want one. Stock can has a catalytic converter.

I just dug the old stock headers out of the garage to put back on for change.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've been eyeing various aftermarket exhausts.. I haven't found a single one that is $500. I've seen some as low as $71, a high of $467, but most are in the $180-$300 range. Loudness measured as db (decibels) range from as quiet as stock to straight pipe race exhausts that will make your ears bleed (not really).

Performance ratings are all over the board, some claim as much as 10hp difference over stock. Most of the real world reviews are the same as Weljo's... barely noticeable. I'm pretty sure most of the so called performance gain is from the weight reduction and not really the design of the silencer.

The main difference you get for your money is getting rid of the sewing machine weak stock sound. If you are satisfied with how your V sounds, then no real need to bother.

May the road always curve in front of you.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 04:18 PM

Garage
I have an Arrow slip on, the dark aluminum one. I love it, with the db killer in its perfect for long trips and the like, with it out its very hooliganistic!

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 09:08 PM

I love the way my Leo Vince looks and sounds... but it was on the bike when I got it. It's kinda loud. I would probably never spend the money to do it myself-
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 09:59 PM

I'm happy with my stock muffler... sound and performance. But then again, I'm a dinosaur.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 10:00 PM

I am running a Two Brothers V.A.L.E. slip on, but I would have to say it is in the top 3 for loud. (from what I have seen and heard) Performance wise I didn't find a noticeable difference from my stock pipe with the catalytic converter bypassed, it just seems better from the massive throaty noise! I ride a lot of trails and ended up fabricating an internal spark arrestor for it to avoid starting a forest fire or the large fines for running without one. With the addition of the spark arrestor, the sound is much more bearable and compares to an Arrow pipe. My vote, modify the stocker (which can be done quite easily) and save some money, unless you want to shed the extra weight.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Yoshimura for look and sound.

Perfomance not much to shout about.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Generally, a slip-on won't add much power. It'll weigh less, and look and sound better.

A full system, with a properly tuned Powercommander, Bazzazz, or some other fuel management system, will add horsepower.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 11:29 PM

I scored a second hand yoshi in perfect condition for $250AUD. It sounds fricken cool without the baffle! Since I do some early shifts, i leave the baffle in most of the time.

I feels like the bike has more power but thats probably in my head because of the sound it now makes. Or the fact that i'm gunning it everywhere i go just to hear the v grumble and crackle!

I've never ridden through so many tunnels on purpose in my life, hehehe!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
I've been eyeing various aftermarket exhausts.. I haven't found a single one that is $500. I've seen some as low as $71, a high of $467, but most are in the $180-$300 range. Loudness measured as db (decibels) range from as quiet as stock to straight pipe race exhausts that will make your ears bleed (not really).

Performance ratings are all over the board, some claim as much as 10hp difference over stock. Most of the real world reviews are the same as Weljo's... barely noticeable. I'm pretty sure most of the so called performance gain is from the weight reduction and not really the design of the silencer.

The main difference you get for your money is getting rid of the sewing machine weak stock sound. If you are satisfied with how your V sounds, then no real need to bother.
If its loud it must be faster
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 01:44 PM
djg

After years of loud bikes and tinnitus in my right (exhaust side) ear, I just love my stock exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode