HELP: Can't insert key in ignition - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
HELP: Can't insert key in ignition

When I went out to the garage to get the Versys out to go for a ride today I could not insert the ignition key. It would only go in about ˝ way. I have 2 steel keys besides the 2 aluminum stock key, none will work and none of them show any chips or pieces having broken off. I took a needle and pushed it into the switch and I can feel something at about the depth where the key stops that covers about ˝ of the opening. The needle will go down all the way on the other side. Has anyone ever experienced this on any bike? Any ideas how to fix it? I want to ride and the shop where I bought the bike (Big St. Charles Motorsports) said that they would call me sometime next week to arrange to pick it up. I would much rather fix it myself to avoid the possible damage towing might have on it as well as I really don’t want to miss a couple weeks riding time. Also I checked the service manual for how to remove the ignition switch and didn’t find anything. I could use some help here also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 03:02 PM

Pegasus,

Have you tried, gently, very gently, turning the key when you have it partially inserted?

Your lock cylinders might be out of alignment, and you might just need to gget them lined back up.

I'd use the stronger steel key for this, the worst thing you could do is snap the key and leave half of it stuck in the ignition.

You might also try moving the handlebars a bit as you attempt to insert the key. I know I have to jiggle the bars occasionally to get the key out.

Good luck,

Monte

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, but I have already tried that.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 03:40 PM

Little squirt of WD40...Sounds like one of the pins is jammed...Let me know

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 06:56 PM

Try WD40 as Contractor said. Few drops of oil can be good too, had this problem before.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Yup, tried the WD40 also, no luck.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 07:45 PM

could be somebody who is offeded by the existance of the new UJM stuck a tooth pic in your ignition. A common occurance in Milwaukee.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 07:45 PM

At this point youve probably tried it all...Probably one of the tumblers got loose and is just plain ol stuck where the key is supposed to go....What a bitch....Wish I had more wisdom to bring forward so you could avoid the tow job... I wish you luck...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 08:18 PM

I would be trying to stick a thin nail file down the key hole and try to push the tumbler back in place, But as said before spray the snot out of it with WD40 before poking away. That would be my suggestion. Waiting till next week for service is no custumer suppose in my opinion! Good luck.

Regards,

Dave

2009 Versys (Metallic Moon dust Gray) Speedy lowering pegs, Speedy Kick stand pad, Speedy Mirror extensions, Vario Windshield, Oxford heated grips and SW-Motech Engine Guards.

2008 KLR (Red) - Sold
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 10:58 PM

Is yout key bent?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 05:19 AM

This is funny. I thought it was my tread as I had the same problem last year. Also put it up on the forum. the solution: I did spray some WD in the hole and then waited. But it was very cold and wet so I guess some ice formed. But just keep on wiggling the key in. Turn the key around and keep at it. Some dirt and stuff.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 10:50 AM

Keep on poking in it and squirting crap in it and you'll wind up needing a new switch. The only thing that should go in a lock cylinder is graphite powder. I'd get it over to a good locksmith. If someone's shoved something in there, he'll be able to remove it with the tools he has.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:14 AM

picture

Keep in mind that if you replace the switch, it will be keyed differently than your stock ones so you will need to change the entire lock set if you want the same key to fit everything. (otherwise you will have to carry two keys, one for ignition and the other for fuel and seat). It's only torx screws holding in the ignition key which aren't bad to work with, btw,some bikes have special bolts that the heads break off after installation so you have to drill them out to remove (and that'll really slow down a thief...lol)

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...17203sch549722

Last edited by scooter650; 06-07-2009 at 11:17 AM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I took off all plastic to take a look see. It has the break off bolt head type so I guess that means waiting on the shop to come and get it as it must be drilled out. I am sure now after hours of playing with it that it is broken. It is under warranty but I bet they don’t replace the entire lockset. I also special ordered 2 steel keys and had them made because I was afraid that those cheap aluminum ones from Kawasaki would bend. I really have the blues over this. I addition to this I wanted to change primary sprockets from the stock 15 tooth to a 16. Got one with the rubber and all and then tried to get the old one off….can’t. I used my 400 ft. lb. air wrench on it…nothing….used a 3 foot pry bar on it with so much force that I lifted the bike off the rear stand and it fell onto my lawn chair. Luckily nothing was hurt except for a scratch on the swing arm but later I found that it had also broke the weld on the swing arm where the spool goes. Now I can’t use my rear stand. Next I tried heating the nut with a torch and using the air wrench again, I got it hot enough that it burned off the galvanize coating on the nut and still no success. What ape put that thing on there? So I think that while the bike is in the shop I will have them remove the nut, I am sure that it will have to be cut off. I also have the EX650R which I have for sale, it is a 2006 and I really liked the bike except I wanted something more comfortable with luggage for my wife and I. I never had the first problem with it at all.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Update: Well, they came and picked the V up last night. They weren’t prepared very well for loading the bike with the front locked but after I took the seat off of my shop roll around stool to make a low platform to put under the front wheel the 3 of us finally managed. The personnel at the shop were very helpful. If Kawasaki allows ordering a new lock for a specific key, they will do that, otherwise they will replace the entire lockset. They said it would probably be done in between a week or 2. I sire hope that estimate is correct. I am also having them replace the 15 tooth countershaft sprocket with a 16 tooth that I furnished. I had planned on doing that myself but was unable to get the damn nut off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode