Fiamm freeway blaster horn - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fiamm freeway blaster horn

To the resident experts or those who did the mod,

Can I install this horn using the stock wiring? or will I fry them? Do I need a relay?

http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72112-Freeway-Blaster-Horn/dp/B000DINKPQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3KIUKO5LOF3CL&coliid=I1IOW747UYTEOL
I installed this in my first bike a Suzuki TU250x with no issues, worked great.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 03:09 PM

Mine is going strong after a year of use using the stock wiring.

Be aware that your link is to the single horn unit.. you have to have both the high and low horn for it to be loud. The link is just for the low horn. This will sound just like the stock horn and not be any louder.

This will work better for you if you want to stick with stock location and wiring:

http://www.amazon.com/85110-115db-400HZ-500HZ-Sports/dp/B00067BWBI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1378408258&sr=1-1&keywords=PIAA+Horn

If you want really loud and non-stock position and wiring going with this:

http://www.amazon.com/GENUINE-Stebel-Compact-Nautilus-Motorcycles/dp/B00CMX20H4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1378408366&sr=1-1&keywords=stebel+horn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.

Last edited by Zatx; 09-05-2013 at 03:14 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Banned

Would either the high or low note Fiamm horn work in conjunction with the standard horn that is on the Versys??

Has anyone tried this?

IF l was to purchase a Fiamm horn & just run a link wire from the existing horn, would this "fry" the wiring even if I rarely use the horn, & if I do it would be no more than a 2-5 second "blast".....?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
Would either the high or low note Fiamm horn work in conjunction with the standard horn that is on the Versys??

Has anyone tried this?

IF l was to purchase a Fiamm horn & just run a link wire from the existing horn, would this "fry" the wiring even if I rarely use the horn, & if I do it would be no more than a 2-5 second "blast".....?
The horn barely draws any power and neither do these types of aftermarket electronic horns. You should be fine. I imagine it would be the same draw as buying the low and high horn from Fiamm. The aftermarket Stebel type horns draw more power because they are actually powering a small compressor.

The part I can't answer is if the sound would be any louder used in conjuction with the stock horn. I'm not sure what mhz the stock one operates at. If I had to guess I would say it isn't any louder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
...IF l was to purchase a Fiamm horn & just run a link wire from the existing horn, would this "fry" the wiring even if I rarely use the horn, & if I do it would be no more than a 2-5 second "blast".....?
When I ran my Stebel thru my Fuzeblock, I initially installed a 5 amp fuse, but a longish horn "blast" blew that fuse, so I changed to a 10 amp (the wiring is either 12 or 14 gauge, so sufficient), which is working fine. IF the Fiamm draws as much as the Stebel, you MIGHT fry the stock wires.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 01:33 PM

Garage
From one of my favorite source of info on motorcycle "stuff"

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/horn-...horn-relay.htm
Freeway balster pull 5 amp from each

The thicker your wire, the less resistance to current it will give, hence the less heat it will generate, hence more current to the device
Further more, heat in wire increase the resistence, so it's a catch 22 situation

Better to go ahead and run big wire and use the existing one for signal, using a relay

My 2 cents

LOP
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 09:25 PM
djg

Buy both low and high, use a relay and heavy wire. You'll sound like a Cadillac.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 10:16 PM

I run the Piaa.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=18520

See post #23 at the link above.

No probs with stock wiring.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 12:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
The horn barely draws any power and neither do these types of aftermarket electronic horns. You should be fine. I imagine it would be the same draw as buying the low and high horn from Fiamm. The aftermarket Stebel type horns draw more power because they are actually powering a small compressor.

The part I can't answer is if the sound would be any louder used in conjuction with the stock horn. I'm not sure what mhz the stock one operates at. If I had to guess I would say it isn't any louder.
Does anyone know if the standard horn is high or low, so l can buy the opposite?????

Last edited by Britmick; 09-07-2013 at 09:42 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 01:45 PM
djg

It's different, the Fiamms are a set, the stock is a standalone. Buy both Fiamms, use a relay and heavy wire, I guarantee you will be satisfied. They are like ten bucks each.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode