high pitch vib noise around 3K rpm - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
high pitch vib noise around 3K rpm

Hello all,

I recently observed a high pitch noise when I am riding at approx. 3k rpm. I am not sure if it's always been there because I also recently attached a mra xcreen spoiler and made my rides with a lot less noise and wind effects. Anything below that range or above, it disappears-- just the humming of the engine. No idiot lights are on at all times. It sounds like it's coming from the somewhere near the radiator immediately below the gas tank. I check before each ride to see if anything is loose, particularly the radiator guard and the crash bars. I am inclined to bring it to the dealer soon.

Has anyone experience something like this? If so, what was it and how did you resolve it?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 07:04 PM

I've always had a bit of a whine that's come from under the gastank. One easy diagnostic you can do is to oil/lube your chain. That way you take one more potential whine off the list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 09:10 PM

can be vibration side fairings, drop and re-tighten screws.

The gray-haired bikers do not get to that age of pure luck

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 07:30 AM

Welcome to the world of cowling buzz. You'll find it affects most of us on these forums and there are a myriad of ways to try and fix it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 04:07 PM

Is it in all gears? I notice my 3rd gear whines quite loudly, while the rest don't...
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
Is it in all gears? I notice my 3rd gear whines quite loudly, while the rest don't...
No, if I remember correctly, it IS 3rd gear because once I shift to 4th on up, the noise is gone. Same is true when I'm in 1st and 2nd, just the engine.

Have you had this for a while? What year is your V and how long have you had it?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
No, if I remember correctly, it IS 3rd gear because once I shift to 4th on up, the noise is gone. Same is true when I'm in 1st and 2nd, just the engine.

Have you had this for a while? What year is your V and how long have you had it?
2011, had it almost 2 years now, 10k miles. It's had the 3rd gear whine since mile 1, and I don't mind it any more because it let's me know which gear I'm in if i lose track. Is your noise more of a whine/moan, something metallic vibrating, or..?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
2011, had it almost 2 years now, 10k miles. It's had the 3rd gear whine since mile 1, and I don't mind it any more because it let's me know which gear I'm in if i lose track. Is your noise more of a whine/moan, something metallic vibrating, or..?
It's more of a whining/moaning sound... I don't believe it's anything mechanical, just don't want anything falling off on the highway.

Thanks for your input btw. Its a comfort to an extent that it's not my baby whose alone in this ailment. I'll keep looking and observing and will post update.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Get an audio clip. We need to hear the alleged "high pitch noise" in order to diagnose.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 04:46 AM

Quote:
I have noticed the same wine on mine - since brand spanking new, and here comes the weird and strange with the noise:
I have found it to be significantly louder/more present when riding in rain!
I think it's coming somewhere from inside the gearbox, that's why I am puzzled that it changes when riding when water is spraying on the outside of the motor...
I am NOT joking!

Anders B.
Sweden

Last edited by anders55; 09-05-2013 at 04:51 AM.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 05:02 AM

LOL You must be hearing your drive chain then, or your tire treads channeling water?
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 05:02 AM

Garage
I have the same issues as well. I have reinforced what ever there is on the fairing and all to "cushion" the vibrations against the plastics bits.

I also dismmantled the housing of the meter cluster and reinforced what ever there is possible, still no use.

It remains a mystery for me as well. the 3K region of the RPM.

I have since given up trying to look for this mystery noise. Just ride and turn a deaf ear on this. Sigh. Oh, the vibration of the bike is also another thing. This bike vibrates a lot.

When washing my bike some times I will detect a loose screw or nut.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 05:14 AM

I'll listen to mine ASAP at 3K in 3rd gear... It's probably just a harmonic whine that makes it sing such a song.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
LOL You must be hearing your drive chain then, or your tire treads channeling water?
No, definitely not. I have changed both tires and chain, but the noise is the same...
To me it has a "metallic source", like worn gearbox shaft bearing gives, or the whine on first gear in a car from the fifties. But why does it change when it is raining???

Anders B.
Sweden
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 05:41 AM

Probably normal gear noise

My 2011 has always has more gear whine in 3rd gear. Also primary gear whine when cruising between 50 and 60 mph. Most motorcycles use straight cut gears which are efficient but noisy. In days gone by we did not notice it much because of the much louder exhaust and valve train noisy the old motorcycle had covered up the gear noise. Also a windshield that reduces wind noise allows one to notice the gear noise more.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 08:18 PM

Like I thought, mine does not emit any gear whine noise at all in any gear and at any rpm... What mileage are you at? What oil do you use, and what level is it at?
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Like I thought, mine does not emit any gear whine noise at all in any gear and at any rpm... What mileage are you at? What oil do you use, and what level is it at?
I noticed this at around 3.5K miles, I have about 4.5K now. I use regular oil not synthetic. I clean and lube my chains between 400-500 miles religiously. Chain adjustment perhaps?
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 06:28 AM

You have sufficient chain slack? Noise pitch and intensity is steady, at 3000 rpm in 3rd gear?
What kind and grade of regular oil, exactly?
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You have sufficient chain slack? Noise pitch and intensity is steady, at 3000 rpm in 3rd gear?
What kind and grade of regular oil, exactly?
Chain slack seems ok approx. 3/4 inch (always been like that ever since-I check it before rides), noise consistent at 3000 rpm, between 3rd and 4th, mostly 3rd gear. oil kawasaki 10w40 as per manual.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 09:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
Chain slack seems ok approx. 3/4 inch (always been like that ever since-I check it before rides), noise consistent at 3000 rpm, between 3rd and 4th, mostly 3rd gear. oil kawasaki 10w40 as per manual.
Should be around 1" to 1.5"

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode