Ant infestation - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ant infestation

The other day I took my versys out for a ride and I noticed nothing unusual. But today when I took my cover off to take my bike to work, (I have no garage, so I have to keep it outside)I noticed a line of ants on my left handlebar on the wires leading up to the handgrip. I brushed them off and continued on my way to work. When I arrived at work, I noticed that they made a home in my front left blinker. I'm currently at work now and I'm going to head to walmart and get some raid and spray everything down. When I have time off, I will open the blinker and clear everything out including those white things that they seem to carry everywhere.

Anyone ever have this happen? I know this is prime time for bugs being that it is now June and all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:07 PM

spidey

Spiders like to hide in mine. Always freaks me out when one decides to venture out while I am riding or getting ready to ride. SMASH SMASH... go away... you scary bug!!!

BTW..see where you live. Happy they FINALLY raised the speed limit on I84.... Jeezus 55 was just plain stupid!!!

Last edited by vladimirpoopen; 06-01-2009 at 10:10 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone wolf View Post
When I have time off, I will open the blinker and clear everything out including those white things that they seem to carry everywhere.
The white things are ant eggs, good with ant bacon!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 11:07 PM

Might want to squirt some of that bug juice around the ground at the tire areas to keep the little s**** from venturing any further...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 11:31 PM

Some bugs...

Some bugs can be bad for electronics...
B.

No place like the right time.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 Red Versys, 48k miles.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 11:55 PM

Disconnect the battery before spraying the electricals with raid. Also a good idea to keep the spray away from any lenses.
Down here we have "crazy raspberry ants" that love to nest in/eat electrical stuff. I don't remember those being in NY. All I remember from up there was the little black sugar ants, which were annoying but harmless.
P.S. A dead spider has been rattling around behind the speedometer glass of my Bandit for nearly a decade now. It's incredible how well he has held up.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 03:11 AM

The scariest habitaten I came across was finding snake skin under my petrol tank. This was not on my V but on my previous BM gs. It was not a very small one, either
Thankfully it did not, if it was around bite me at my vital parts!

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
The scariest habitaten I came across was finding snake skin under my petrol tank. This was not on my V but on my previous BM gs. It was not a very small one, either
Thankfully it did not, if it was around bite me at my vital parts!
Yikes!

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
Might want to squirt some of that bug juice around the ground at the tire areas to keep the little s**** from venturing any further...
This is a viable plan. Put a ring of ant spray around where you park the V and they will not venture over the line.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 11:37 AM

Too Funny, (since it's not happening to me yet!). I would think the vibrations would disturb the critters enough to keep them out if you just ride it more! Hey, it could always be worse. My brother just facebooked me that he was taking out his Aprilia from storage in his garage, and discovered mice had eaten his wiring!

My Album:
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 10:27 PM

My bike sat for a week with all the rain we've had where it shares space with a boat in the hay barn. I took it out to install my crash bars to find that a bird started a nest in the left cowling. Only a matter of time before the rat snake I found last weekend would have been in there eating the bird eggs had I not intervened.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:43 AM

Years ago, I had all of the glass off my K100 Beemer for a paint job, and a mouse crawled down the snorkel and filled the air cleaner box chock full of acorns. I've had them fill exhaust pipes and mufflers full as well.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 11:29 AM

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'm tacking onto this one: I was about 15 miles into my ride yesterday PM when I felt this sensation on my chin. I reached up and checked the chin curtain on my helmet, that was fine. Then I saw a blob on the inside of my face shield. SPIDER! Flipped the shield up and the wind carried it off. Note to self: Check inside of helmet for spiders before inserting head.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'm tacking onto this one: I was about 15 miles into my ride yesterday PM when I felt this sensation on my chin. I reached up and checked the chin curtain on my helmet, that was fine. Then I saw a blob on the inside of my face shield. SPIDER! Flipped the shield up and the wind carried it off. Note to self: Check inside of helmet for spiders before inserting head.
Excellent note to self. Two long past critter-related events come to mind.

First, while riding with a bearded friend some years ago I was amazed to witness his sudden and very impressive trick riding antics. Seems a rather large wasp had flown under the chin bar of his full face helment and into his beard. Neither of them were very happy about it. No real damage, but it was some really spectacular unplanned trick riding.

On a more somber note, I remember a Boy Scout camping thingie in the TX Hill Country many, many years ago where a similar thing happened, but with fatal results. Seems one of the boys got up during the night and put on his slippers to go relieve himself. In the morning he was found dead. Aparently a Black Widow spider had taken up residence in one of his slippers and wasn't happy about having to share the space. Very bad event.

Lesson? One can never be too careful, yes, no?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Spiders won't come around Dryer Sheets like Bounce and such. I use to put them in my boots & gear when camping.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode