dead battery = dead bike... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
dead battery = dead bike...

right I found this out the hard way... since it is fuel injected your bike will die if your battery becomes dead... I went camping over the weekend and little weird things made me aware that something was up, mostly it wasn't starting as quickly as it normally does... but I didn't know what was going on so I couldn't do anything anyway... on the way home I had been driving for about an hour (at 65mph) and my speedo and rpm went blank and if I did anything that required power like horn or break lights it would studder and struggle... but it kept running so I just kept going... well there was road construction where the pavement ended so I slowed down to like 2nd gear and it stalled out and died... owell what can you do... I was literally in the middle of nowhere and had no cell service. so I figured it was a fuse and started looking at all my fuses. Luckily it was the end of memorial day weekend and there was lots of traffic, specifically trucks towing trailers with dirt bikes and four wheelers... I wasn't panicking yet (I had all my camping gear too so yeah) but a nice family stopped and loaded my dead V onto their trailer and took me to civilization... where through conversations with the guy saying fuel injected engines do that and looking around on the internet I got my battery charged and it runs again (for now)
the big question is why did it drain the battery and not charge it??? I guess its time for the dreaded dealer to look at it since it is under the EXTENDED warranty (it's one year and like 2 months old)... and yeah I'll post whatever I figure out...

08 Versys 32+k and counting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 11:41 AM

Check the fuse for the charging circuit. It's under the seat. Sounds like the battery is not being charged by the alternator on the bike.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:15 PM

If you are lucky it could be a faulty ground. Check both the battery end and the grounded end, make sure they are both really tight.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:20 PM

Check the battery cables connections and fuses.

Check the battery voltage with a voltmeter (should be about 12.5-12.8V).

Then check the alternator with running the engine ( rpm 3000-3500) at costant and check the voltage.
It should be say 13.8-14.5V). It should be not under/over charge.

Sometimes the rectifier could be the problem. Its rather unprotected near the back wheel. It converts AC (alternating current) from the alternator to DC (direct current) to your battery.

Getting a battery tender would be a good investment. But, knowing the root cause would be first.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

small update,
I took it in VERY reluctantly this morning but after I volt tested it getting about 11.35 ish when it was off and it not changing a bit at 4000 rpm I figured there was no choice. The shop manager is the one working on it??? and while he was filling out the paper work he commented on the 13k miles I was like yup and it's gonna have 10 more soon. So I called this morning and they said it's not charging... hmmm really... but thats it s so far we'll see if I ever get it back... thanks for the advice and here to hope...

Old 05-29-2009, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

the word,

right the service manager just called me, my generator is dead... so he's ordering the new one and said by thrs it might be in... plus I need a new battery. SO he says everything will be covered by the warranty except the battery... so that is nice (like I said it's 1 year 2 months from the date of purchase, but I bought the extended warranty)

I guess where should I get a new battery and any suggestions on a brand he's saying interstate...(he'd sell it to me for $90)

Also my brother says I should ask for all the old parts? I think it's just my personality but I feel stupid in doing that, even though it's their job I feel like they did me a favor in fixing my bike...?

right on so at 13k miles my generator died... be aware...

Old 05-29-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
right the service manager just called me, my generator is dead... so he's ordering the new one and said by thrs it might be in... plus I need a new battery. SO he says everything will be covered by the warranty except the battery... so that is nice (like I said it's 1 year 2 months from the date of purchase, but I bought the extended warranty)

I guess where should I get a new battery and any suggestions on a brand he's saying interstate...(he'd sell it to me for $90)

Also my brother says I should ask for all the old parts? I think it's just my personality but I feel stupid in doing that, even though it's their job I feel like they did me a favor in fixing my bike...?

right on so at 13k miles my generator died... be aware...
Asking for the old parts is something you do with shops you don't trust. Basically, you are just trying to make sure they did the work that they said they did.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:48 AM

Hope the get it all worked out. Curious that there was no warning light on the dash? I thought there was one for low volts?

Bad gen/alternator makes sense. Even if the battery is dead, you should still get enough power from the alt to keep the bike running. Of course, once you shut it off or it bogs way down, you might loose power to all the electronics, then you're stuck.

Corey

Last edited by corey872; 05-29-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRimaging View Post
Asking for the old parts is something you do with shops you don't trust. Basically, you are just trying to make sure they did the work that they said they did.
so should I trust these guys cause they're a kawi dealer, I guess it's not that I don't trust them just I don't like their lack of genuine care... but now a days what do I expect from an american commercial profit business...

Old 05-29-2009, 12:18 PM

If you don't trust them, ask for parts. Its that simple. No one would say you are wrong to do so. I trust my dealer, but I have a standing reputation with them. But yeah, just cause they are a kawi dealer means jack. By all means, ask for parts.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey872 View Post
Hope the get it all worked out. Curious that there was no warning light on the dash? I thought there was one for low volts?

Bad gen/alternator makes sense. Even if the battery is dead, you should still get enough power from the alt to keep the bike running. Of course, once you shut it off or it bogs way down, you might loose power to all the electronics, then you're stuck.
I didn't see one for volts when mine was dead (left the key in it).
Old 05-29-2009, 05:45 PM

a part that will be covered under warranty they will need to keep just incase Kawi ask them to send it in to test for faults

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
Old 05-29-2009, 07:38 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in