Problem with 16 teeth - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Problem with 16 teeth

I just swapped out the front sprocket to the 16 tooth. I was hearing some noise when I backed off the throttle. As you can see from the picture, when there is some slack in the chain I'm getting some interference with the front sprocket guard. I don't remember hearing of this problem from others and I'm wondering if I did something wrong. The chain is properly adjusted. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16teeth.jpg (60.6 KB, 412 views)

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 09:13 PM

You have me wondering now! I think I am going to take a peek at mine when I get a chance.

Regards,

Dave

2009 Versys (Metallic Moon dust Gray) Speedy lowering pegs, Speedy Kick stand pad, Speedy Mirror extensions, Vario Windshield, Oxford heated grips and SW-Motech Engine Guards.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 KLR (Red) - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
That is a tight fit. The chain rides a bit higher on the sprocket's rubber damper. I guess others just didn't notice, and it eventually wore itself some grooves... I didn't have that problem with a 16T without the damper, but it was noisier from not having a damper. My chain was snagging and wore into the back of the damperless 16T, and it also stretched unevenly from the start. I put my unused 15T back on with a bigger rear sprocket instead and a new chain. It's perfect now.

Last edited by invader; 05-26-2009 at 09:43 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 09:47 PM

My 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
I just swapped out the front sprocket to the 16 tooth. I was hearing some noise when I backed off the throttle. As you can see from the picture, when there is some slack in the chain I'm getting some interference with the front sprocket guard. I don't remember hearing of this problem from others and I'm wondering if I did something wrong. The chain is properly adjusted. Any ideas?
Mine was the same way. It is a VERY TIGHT FIT. Mine did not rub. I had a noise on DECEL during my 3 mile test ride. I came home - put some moly grease on the sprocket (I forgot to put grease on it when I installed it). Then took it out and the decel noise was gone.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 10:33 PM

I am resisting the urge to hit that fin with a hammer and a small old screw driver. Somebody tell me why a few well placed whacks wouldn't fix this problem. Would it break off?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 11:07 PM

Don't think I would wack it but I would go at it with a dremel.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Yeah, a Dremel would be better. It is made of cast aluminum, and a hammer would break it before it bends.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Well, I've ridden a few more miles and the sound is fading away of course. I think I'll just leave it alone and let it wear on it's own. I see no reason to grind off any more than I need to. Then I guess I'll clean out all the filings so it won't wear on the chain. I'm just a little surprised I hadn't heard about this little feature earlier.
I really do like the difference in the gearing. I always thought 1st gear was a little short anyway and this seems about right. Naturally, the difference in top gear is nice too. I think I'll like it.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Jeff,
I'm sure you noticed too, but there's some rust on your chain. Not good.
Ed
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 12:56 PM

alvis and myself added a 16tooth rubber backed sprocket about a year ago and probably both have well over 10k miles on it by now.

Makes the speedo nuts on, but the odometer reads about 6% less, which is no problem. I wouldn't be without it now. Lowering the revs when cruising on the freeway smoothed out the ride considerabley.

We didn't do any modifications to the front casing, it was tight but certainly didn't touch anywhere.

Machog

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Jeff,
I'm sure you noticed too, but there's some rust on your chain. Not good.
Ed
Yeah I caught that too Ed. Actually, I hadn't noticed it til I took that photo. I've been using that teflon based chain lube from Dupont - the kind that doesn't foam. I must admit that it doesn't build up and has kept the chain pretty clean. But apparently it's not as good at corrosion protection.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
Yeah I caught that too Ed. Actually, I hadn't noticed it til I took that photo. I've been using that teflon based chain lube from Dupont - the kind that doesn't foam. I must admit that it doesn't build up and has kept the chain pretty clean. But apparently it's not as good at corrosion protection.
Well, it's not the lube, or it is but not that way It's how you lube and clean the chain. One of the downfalls of this clear lube is that the chain looks clean, although it's not. I am cleaning the chain far more often now, I'd say every 3,000km or so, and then lube it with the Dupont sprayed on a rag. After that it's just regular lubing. No more rust for me.

I rather do this than have oil chain everywhere, but each to its own...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 07:52 PM

Spiderman,
I've never checked to see if my 16 tooth (not rubber dampened) front sprocket is rubbing! However, when installed, it looked good. There was an increase in noise afterwards, but after about 3k miles, it has greatly subsided (or maybe I'm even more deaf than I was).

I'd better check to see if mine rubs!

regards, Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode