Alternative Daylight Running - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Alternative Daylight Running

On a 3000 km trip to Thailand, a fellow V rider blew his main headlamp bulb.
Using only the high beam to compensate for night riding, he drew alot of "retaliation" from oncoming traffic and also from those drivers in front of him.
The auxiliary lighting was not enough to cover the miles fast enough.

Since I was already planning to conserve the life of the bulb by only switching it on when it's dark, I made the following :
- Hook up a good low powered daylight LED (less than 25W but damn bright) below the headlamp and between the fork.
- Break the live circuit of the low beam and connect it to the LED
- Add two relays between the high beam circuit and low beam circuit
- Relay 1 is to get the power from the high beam switch/Pass to power Relay 2
- Relay 2 will first be powered by the high beam/pass and once it's energised, it'll latch by itself until the ignition is off or we can put a break / switch to dis-engaged it later.

- The advantage of this is that, there's no extra switches to be attached (unless you want a break).
- The LED is bright enough to alert other motorist during the day and consume much less current
- The night riding lamp life is extended and you dont need a spare too often and it's a pain to change it on the road (if ever that happens)
- LEDs last a long time
- Circuit applies to other auxiliary lamps (slight modification needed, I'll be glad to help)
- Lastly the pictures tells a thousand words.
- Enjoy

Disclaimer : If this interests you and you plan to carry out the mod, please do so at your own risk. I take no responsibility should you encounter any issues with yourself or your bike(s). Do consult a qualified electrical technician if in doubt and I am not certain if your warranty/insurance will be void should this be carried out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alternative Light.jpg (117.9 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Standard Light.jpg (52.1 KB, 84 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Mode of operation is as follows :

1- At the turn of the key, nothing
2- Start the bike up, LED is running, Lo beam and hi beam are OFF
3- Tail lamp is not affected, continue your journey
4- Whenever you press the PASS, the Lo beam switches ON, LED is running, hi beam is lit as long PASS is pressed
5- Whenever you select high beam using the left selector, Lo Beam, Hi Beam, and LED are all ON
6- After switching from Hi Beam to Lo Beam, LED and Lo Beam remains ON
7- When the RUN mode switch is OFF, Lo Beam and LED remains ON
8- When at a stop and the ignition key is OFF, all the lights go off

Option - You can switch of the Lo Beam while on the move by installing a switch to disengage Relay 2
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 05:07 AM
MTS

Interesting! I never really ever thought of having my front head light off while riding!

Because I want to be seen I probably will not do the mod but, I bet it would extend the life of your head light!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 05:11 AM

Has it occured to your friend or your goodself, glock, that the high beam bulb can be swapped out with the low beam bulb in less than 10mins?

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Good info and thanks andrewhtf.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

@MTS: The LED is running all the time and it's very bright. There's no throw in distance but the glare and dispersion index is great. An eye catcher for sure

@Andrew: Didnt cross our minds to swap. Are they the same bulb? Also we were on the highway and stopping would be risky. Foreign land and all that
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just check your state laws. NJ requires the headlight to be on at all times. Not sure about other states/countries...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Totally agree with you HondaGal. Each country/state has their individual laws / regs and thus you should only mod it for auxiliary lighting.

Some of you might thought I'm using a single point LED.
Here's a sample of mine. Fitting them both together (up/down) produced a thicker output or effect.
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-12824WLEDX1-DayLight-Powered-Daytime/dp/B005DX6BKW
Did I mention the reflector of the original lamp could last longer too without the constant heat from the bulb, especially on a long summer ride ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daylight LED.jpg (49.4 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by glock19; 08-21-2013 at 07:44 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
@MTS: The LED is running all the time and it's very bright. There's no throw in distance but the glare and dispersion index is great. An eye catcher for sure

@Andrew: Didnt cross our minds to swap. Are they the same bulb? Also we were on the highway and stopping would be risky. Foreign land and all that
Yeah they're both using the same H7 bulbs. As you have experienced, having the high beam on when the low beam went out, caused some issue to you and your friend too, no? Just swap it out during your fuel stop then. But since you have already made your mods to prepare for such eventuality then i guess it doesnt matter much now. In fact i myself has added a pair of daytime running led to supplement whatever forward lighting i am already having, for the benefit as you have discovered. But i am using single point led and they work just as well for visibility, both day or night.

However fyi, in most southeast asian countries (except cambodia) having the main headlamp of a motorcycle on all the time is required under the law, and the LED add-ons, while serving the same purpose for conspicuity, does not fit in the law's definition of main headlamp, so i would not want to risk arguing, arrested and bike impounded while in a foreign land such as Thailand.

In cambodia, on the other hand, only the royalties and select few of their ruling elites are accorded "privillege" of having the main headlamp on during daytime. What i read from riders who travelled into cambodia on their bikes, and did not have the switch to turn off the headlamp, are forced to tape up the whole headlamp to block the lights, so i guess your solution would work well in such situation.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low

Last edited by andrewhtf; 08-22-2013 at 03:46 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 01:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Just check your state laws. NJ requires the headlight to be on at all times. Not sure about other states/countries...

Same in canada !

LOP
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Same in canada !

LOP
In Sweden since 1977 ...
I think most countries in the civilized part of the world have this law now...

Anders B.
Sweden
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I didn't have to change a light bulb on my V in 3 years and 23000km.
I have a HID though
And another one as backup...

Versys 2015 Green
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

That applies to where I am as well but the coppers here would allow it (unofficially) as long as there is some light projection coming from the bike. They are actually not too keen with paperwork (even with the ticket )

However if there a major police roadblock or operation, I'll just press the PASS and the headlamp will come on (haven't occured yet).
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders55 View Post
In Sweden since 1977 ...
I think most countries in the civilized part of the world have this law now...
Same in Brazil :-)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
Totally agree with you HondaGal. Each country/state has their individual laws / regs and thus you should only mod it for auxiliary lighting.

Some of you might thought I'm using a single point LED.
Here's a sample of mine. Fitting them both together (up/down) produced a thicker output or effect.
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-12824W.../dp/B005DX6BKW

Did I mention the reflector of the original lamp could last longer too without the constant heat from the bulb, especially on a long summer ride ?
How did you mount these, and can you post a picture of them showing the mounts? Thanks.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 12:28 PM

I'm not much of a "night-rider" and always try and plan my rides so as to avoid darkness. However, when I ride, during the day, I ALWAYS ride with the high beam on. I've done this on all my bikes and never had a bulb burn out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode