running hot? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
running hot?

'08 versys with 2k miles....

I bought the bike in the fall, now that it is warmer, I notice the bike gets quite hot and uses the cooling fan alot if not on the open road. It is only my second motorcycle, but my 1984 nighthawk did not seem to run as hot.

I have a recent all synth oil change with good oil level and the coolant level is high/perfect. All systems running great.

So, is it just that this bike runs on the hot side? or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 12:00 PM

I was thinking the same thing but wasn't ready to come to that conclusion yet. It's not been real hot here, but at times the V's motor seemed really hot to the touch considering the pleasant temps. I was wondering about the temp if it were really hot outside.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 12:40 PM

I have only had the bike for a couple of days and, yeah, it puts off some heat (more on the right side) but I doubt it's anything to worry about. Now maybe mine is different because i have yet to have the fan come on.

However, on a side note, does anyone's bike leave a strange aroma after it has been shut off?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 12:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to schleppy
After a recent test ride of a Versys I noticed that too. The bike feels very hot at low speeds, especially the right side as mvg2 pointed out. I don't think it's anything to worry about though.

If you want to ride a hot bike, try any of the XB line of Buells. My god do those bikes get hot.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

when the bike is new the exhaust does smell "funny"

when the bike is new the exhaust does smell "funny" - that will usually go away.......
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 07:10 PM

Depends on What Y'all Call Hot

Guys,

Lots of good information on this thread already.

As the guys pointed out, there is a significant difference in the heat felt on the right side of the Versys, as opposed to the left.

Hot to the touch? Well at proper operating tempratures of 200+ degrees, it SHOULD be hot to the touch.

We've been in the upper 90's here in South Texas already, I ride my V to work almost everyday (barring rain) and have never had any serious concern that the engine was overheating. I do notice that the cooling fan comes on alot, but that might just be that the exhaust is so quiet that you CAN notice the sound of the radiator fan!

As for the "funny smell" I do notice that if the exhaust gets wet while riding. I did not notice it at any other time, so I put it down to the moisture getting "cooked" off after riding.

Hope this helps

Monte

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 07:50 PM

When rode the V the first time, noticed that the V was hotter than other bikes.
Guess the kawa engineers knew to put a water cooling system in.
As long the fan switched on when it got too hot, that's a good sign.

As for the burnt smell, cooking water and burn plastic/rubber would be pretty different.
Only way is to check under the "hood".

Otherwise, the heat's pretty normal.

Safe Riding
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 09:13 PM

I'll check the temp on mine tomorrow, (I've got a laser thermometer from Harborfreight), so I'll point it at the cylinder heads and see what I get.

I ride often in 100+ temps in southern CA and its the 'coolest' bike I've ridden. You get a bit of heat in traffic on the right knee when stuck in traffic and the fan comes on. But having the exhaust where it is, really takes the heat away.

Only other bike I had that was this comfortable in 100+ heat was my KLR. My Honda ST, Valkyrie, Harley, nearly all the others etc etc all threw out buckets of heat.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 09:29 PM

Mine runs hot. Hot as about 50% of the bikes I have had. Not too hot, just hot. Can't say as I am worried here in the southwest. Hell, my Toyota van, the chipper, the chainsaw, and the blow dryer run hot here...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 09:16 AM

the only prob I've had with the temp of my bike was it was boiling the coolant, I don't think it was overheating (the temp light never came on) but I took it into the dealer and they simply changed the radiator cap saying thats pretty common and I haven't had a problem since...

08 Versys 32+k and counting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 04:38 PM

My temp light has never come on but I get the gurgling when I park it after commuting home. I need to take a peek at the fan tonight before I kick it off and make sure its a twirling.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:39 AM

I never really noticed the heat after comming off an ST1300 until this summer and the 100+ temps here in Texas. The right side is diffenently where most of the heat is channeled and I have to put my knee in the wind while riding at 100+ temps but I have not ever been unable to ride because of the heat. In the cooler months I don't even notice it. Lately though, when I shut off the bike on one of those 100+ days, I can sure here the coolant gurgling. No overheating lights, just the gurgling and it stops shortly after it sits a while not running. I've never noticed any smell from the exhaust.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:48 AM

I must be sitting on mine backwards, because I get more heat on my left leg! I only notice it in hot weather. But just hold my left knee out a couple inches takes care of the problem.

Since I always wear earplugs I guess I don't notice the fan coming on.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 09:42 PM

I never really noticed the fan coming on...but I caught it today. It gurgles a bit when I stop after commuting home, but the fan is running and everything seems fine.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 11:57 PM

The versys is hotter on the right side because the exhaust pipes make a bend that exposes more of their surface on the right side. My cure was to use exhaust wrap from the header down to the cross-over pipe. Helped a lot. Now I can squeeze the tank with my knees again during hard braking without regretting it later.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 02:17 PM

dallasdon, in regards to the coolant gurgling, I had the same problem and followed the advice on someone on this fourm and replaced my radiator cap. NO MORE GURGLING I believe the original cap lost its ability to hold the pressure. It will be interesting to see if this replacement cap lasts longer thatn the original. I got an OEM cap from the dealer.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 06:11 PM

yellowdog,

Do you think the gurgling of the coolant is a problem?

I definately hear the gurgle, but I just assumed (bad thing to do) that it was just the normal expansion of the coolant while operatring and then flowing back into the radiator when I stop. The temps have been between 100 and 105 for the last three weeks here in San Antonio and I've heard the coolant flow consistently, but have never had any cause to belive the engine is overheating, or that I'm losing coolant.

If it is a problem, that would be serious.

Monte

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 06:49 PM

The newer bikes use 190-195 degree thermosatats, but the combination of glycol coolant and a pressure radiator cap raises the boiling point to at least 250 degrees F. If you hear a bit of gurgling after shutoff, it's probably an after boil causing the cap to lift and allowing a bit of coolant to go into the catch bottle. As the engine cools, a vacuum forms in the cooling system, and sucks the coolant back out of the catch bottle.

If the coolant's not boiling over, the engine's NOT overheating.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:02 AM

I never had an overheating problem. However, here in the Austin area we have are having the 100+ temps and after replacing the radiator cap the gurgling did stop.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvg2 View Post
However, on a side note, does anyone's bike leave a strange aroma after it has been shut off?
Chain goo on a hot mufler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode