Brand new bike... valves tapping??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Brand new bike... valves tapping???

Hello everyone,

I just picked up my Versys today!!! Awesome bike so far!

Just a quick question for everyone... I have about 80 miles on it so far, and I'm of course sticking to the break in instructions... keeping her under 4K RPM for the first 500 miles, then no more than 6K RPM for another 500 miles.

My question is... is it normal to hear the the valves tapping this early? Is this normal during the break in period? It seems somewhat loud to me, but since it's a brand new bike, I'm thinking I may be worrying too much about it.

I want this bike to last me indefinitley, so if there's a problem, I need to take care of it now. I've had only one other brand new bike, and I never heard the valves until about 9K miles, which was when they were do to be inspected/adjusted anyway.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I can't wait to open up that throttle in a few hundred miles, and see what she can REALLY do!!!!

Thanks,
Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 03:44 AM

If you think it is a problem you should take it back to the dealer and ask him right away. At least then it is documented. I don't hear anything unusual on mine at 1200 miles. Had the same engine in the 08 650 R and i never heard anything different in it. I wear a helmet so that blocks a lot of noise but even with it off i don't hear the valves ticking. Was it that way when you tested it at the dealer or drove it away? Best advice is ask him. You will be suprised at what power this engine has. Lots of fun. Good luck

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 08:05 AM

You of course have checked the oil?

When mine was delivered the first thing I discovered was that there was no oil visable in the sight glass. The setup guy looked puzzled. It took about a liter to get the oil visable in the sight glass. I insisted it should be half way up.

Generally, metric motorcycle dealers continue to amaze me with their lack of knowlege about their products.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 09:16 AM

I hate to say it, but I work from the thought that the dealership did or will do anything wrong until proven otherwise. Take it back and ask them what's up.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 05:58 PM

I have always noted a slight ticking noise and always thought it was the valves. I have read another thread that even speculated that maybe you are hearing the fuel injectors. Never really worried about it as I feel it is better for the valves to be a little loose that too tight. No performance or reliability issues at 2500 miles. I trust my dealer and mechanic as I know them well and they have no problem with me standing in the shop with them as the bike is serviced.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 07:29 PM

If its a ticking/tapping sound you are hearing i would suggest that its more than likely the fuel injectors. After doing a EFI conversion on one of my cars i can attest that the injectors sound exactly the same as the ticking from the Kwaka motor.

Last edited by sambamboo; 05-24-2009 at 07:32 PM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 08:09 PM

As a side note,

I have a few friends that are taking the 650 twin motor and making Pro-Hillclimb bikes with them. Last week I talked to a guy who has had the 650 motor completely apart, and he raved about the motor. That Kawasaki spent some time in designing this motor and it was very well balanced. He thought it was definitely a quality motor.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 08:10 PM

it used to bother me too.....i think u here the engine noise more because the exhaust system is so quiet.....if u get a larger windscreen it will even be louder !!...it seems to funnel all the noise up......a good set of ear plugs will help..3800 with miles no problems...
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of advice so far everyone!!! I will probably take it to the dealer so they can hear it to make sure... and to cover my arss. Reading the replies helps with the worry :P
Only 300 more miles 'till I can get her up to 6K rpm!!! This break-in is driving me crazy!!! hahaha, it'll be worth it for sure.
Thanks again!!!
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillius33 View Post
Only 300 more miles 'till I can get her up to 6K rpm!!! This break-in is driving me crazy!!! hahaha, it'll be worth it for sure.
Thanks again!!!
Just my opinion but that generic break in procedure that is on every Kawasaki made (Ninja 250 up to the ZX1400) is exactly how NOT to properly break in an engine. I have worked for all of the Japanese bike shops at one time or another and a "babied" break in seems to create motors that have poorly seated rings.

Just make sure its warm and go ride the thing like you are going to ride it later. Short burst of high manifold pressure is the ideal way to break it in but thats just my opinion. Low RPM break ins are what you do for the first 50 miles just to see if the motor is going to stay on one piece, after that its balls to the walls.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
Just my opinion but that generic break in procedure that is on every Kawasaki made (Ninja 250 up to the ZX1400) is exactly how NOT to properly break in an engine. I have worked for all of the Japanese bike shops at one time or another and a "babied" break in seems to create motors that have poorly seated rings.

Just make sure its warm and go ride the thing like you are going to ride it later. Short burst of high manifold pressure is the ideal way to break it in but thats just my opinion. Low RPM break ins are what you do for the first 50 miles just to see if the motor is going to stay on one piece, after that its balls to the walls.
i agree 100%,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1... It is important to properly seat the rings ASAP.
Do some acceleration runs at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear from about 3000 rpm to 6000 rpm. Ride normally for a bit, then do a few runs at 3/4 to full throttle up to 8000 rpm, then upshifting a gear and engine braking helps seat the rings as well. Ride normally again for a while, then do a few 3000 to redline runs at full throttle, upshifting two gears and engine braking... Do it all in a day and change the oil right away. MotoMan recommends doing it all within the first 20 miles.
http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
I stretched it out and was doing redline runs by 100 miles, and changed the oil at 140 miles.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=break+engine
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 07:10 PM

When I first bought my Versys I was unsure of which break-in method to use, so when I asked my dealer what he thought he told me just to ride it like I normally would, which is definitely NOT under 4k RPM!

I agree with everyone else about the tapping being your EFI. I thought the same thing when I first got mine, but that "Tapping" seems to be heard on every V.

Have fun riding your new bike!
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stremf1 View Post
When I first bought my Versys I was unsure of which break-in method to use, so when I asked my dealer what he thought he told me just to ride it like I normally would, which is definitely NOT under 4k RPM!

I agree with everyone else about the tapping being your EFI. I thought the same thing when I first got mine, but that "Tapping" seems to be heard on every V.

Have fun riding your new bike!
Hey, quick question... did you change the oil early running it "normally", or wait till the 600mile mark?

Thanks!
Phil
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Milanowski View Post
You of course have checked the oil?

When mine was delivered the first thing I discovered was that there was no oil visable in the sight glass. The setup guy looked puzzled. It took about a liter to get the oil visable in the sight glass. I insisted it should be half way up.

Generally, metric motorcycle dealers continue to amaze me with their lack of knowlege about their products.
It is funny you mentioned the oil situation, I had to take about 3/4L out of mine when I picked it up from the dealer.
I have a good ear for engine sounds and I have noticed the ticking noise on mine as well. I am a bit concerned too since it sounds like it did on my older bike that was not fuel injected. Am I paranoid? Should I be able to hear the valves ticking? (not knocking). The sound is more distinctive after a long ride.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
100% agree, I have 2 older, used bikes, one water cooled, one air-cooled, they were both broken in according to specs, both burn oil.

I bought a 150cc Chinese scooter, had 2 miles on it, I rode it 6 miles as fast as it would go, near redline, now, at 2,000 miles it burns no oil whatsoever.

-------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Do as what Invader has recommended or Mototuneusa, and if your still hearing something not right get it over to the dealer and have checked and your complaint documented.

ride safe and be safe.

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 01:26 PM

Mine is closing in on 9000 miles. Love it so far, no oil burning issues and she runs very strong. Used Amsoil 10w-40 since the 200 mile mark. Broke it in like I break-in all my motors...heat cycling. Agree with the "valve" noise, it is injectors more than the valves. Remember, loose valves {within spec}, are desirable, since they TIGHTEN with time.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 PM

I have a new 2011 Versys with 1600miles. It started ticking after I filled it up with a couple tanks of Valero. Went back to Shell and the ticking is substantially reduced. Also runs much better. Not putting Valero in the tank ever again.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillius33 View Post
Hello everyone,

I just picked up my Versys today!!! Awesome bike so far!

Just a quick question for everyone... I have about 80 miles on it so far, and I'm of course sticking to the break in instructions... keeping her under 4K RPM for the first 500 miles, then no more than 6K RPM for another 500 miles.

My question is... is it normal to hear the the valves tapping this early? Is this normal during the break in period? It seems somewhat loud to me, but since it's a brand new bike, I'm thinking I may be worrying too much about it.

I want this bike to last me indefinitley, so if there's a problem, I need to take care of it now. I've had only one other brand new bike, and I never heard the valves until about 9K miles, which was when they were do to be inspected/adjusted anyway.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I can't wait to open up that throttle in a few hundred miles, and see what she can REALLY do!!!!

Thanks,
Phil
OMG!!!! Rev it.... You need to rev it past 4000 rpm and stop listening to Kawi's lawyer talk... You need to rev it once in a while during the breakin to seat the rings and valve seats... The excess noise is from *****ing it... Rev it and I am willing to bet the top end will get quieter as the miles pile on and the clearances are taken up by the valves seating...

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x

Last edited by CanadianFZ6; 09-02-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode