Slip on exhaust and stock Map - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Slip on exhaust and stock Map

Im thinking about purchasing a slip on exhaust. I am looking for a setup thats not to loud but sounds nice and isnt an issue when on the super slab in terms of exhaust drone. Can anyone recommend a nice slip on? Also if I do get a slip on is it ok to run it with the stock MAP or is a PCIII nessacary?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 10:50 AM

Scorpion exhaust has a dyno tuned slip-on to use with the stock mapping (they are the only one I've seen state that). However, it is a straight through design so it will be pretty loud (as will most aftermarket slip-ons). Scorpion does have a DB killer you can purchase to go into the end of the slip-on to quieten it down. With the DB killer, it is supposed to meet European standards.

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 11:54 AM

I'm a big Two Brothers Racing fan.

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E. Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 10:42 PM

Creeper- I hear ya- I also have a two bros, but have to admit that the stock mapping sucks (backfires on decel) and seems to be running too lean. Did you try it without a PC or Juice box first. I'm thinking that this exhaust (as loud as a harley) is not made for the stock map, and now I have to drop 300 on a PCV
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Creeper- I hear ya- I also have a two bros, but have to admit that the stock mapping sucks (backfires on decel) and seems to be running too lean. Did you try it without a PC or Juice box first. I'm thinking that this exhaust (as loud as a harley) is not made for the stock map, and now I have to drop 300 on a PCV
I had just the slip on for almost a year before I got the Juice Box and I had backfires then and even before with just the stock Muffler. With the JB I still get backfires.

The best way I can explain the progression of the back fires where that the stock Muffler backfires where like little puffs I would call them. With just the Slip on they where more like pops some louder than others. With the JB they seem to sound more like snappier pops, even bangs some times.

My main reason for choosing the JB over the PC where price, premapped for the slip on easy adjustability on the go.

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 02:52 AM

They were out of PCV's so I settled on a Juice Box. Glad to hear that it's tuned to my exhaust and that I won't have to spend any more money on a map from Dyno Tune.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Here's an interesting stainless steel Micron (UK) Delta # MUK63 silencer that's quieter, and available for only $219.99 ... (MSRP: $523.95/closeout $471.56)

My Muzzy header and silencer system (2" ID collector+silencer inlet) was way too loud, even with an added baffle plate. I just cut the Muzzy silencer off and welded a Magnaflow 2" ID inlet/14" long/4" round/2.5" ID core with low-restriction 1-5/16" ID Yoshimura quiet insert, and it sings an incredibly beautiful song now, and is much quieter. Deep and smooth, it evokes the growl of a V8 Hemi.
Sealing up the PAIR (Pulsed-Secondary Air Injection) reduces deceleration backfires experienced with high-flow silencer, caused by lean low to mid-range A/F mixture... With larger airbox inlets and other mods, but without any fuel management unit, I completely cured the lean pop/bang by adjusting the thottle sensor up to spec which adds fuel at low to mid throttle openings, like I mentioned in your "Backfire or popping sound in air box" thread...

Last edited by invader; 05-30-2009 at 05:23 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 08:02 PM

I couldn't be happier now with the Two Brothers VALE and Juice Box. The Juice box was without any doubt worth the investment as it made it run SMOOOOTH. Not to mention significantly more power. I would guess that I make at least 8HP over stock, and the acceleration is crisp. After my experience with and without an EFI booster, I would highly recommend not using a slip on without the PCV or Juice Box. The nice thing about Two Brothers is that you don't have to tune it when you match the slip on with the Juice box.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 08:04 PM

Oh thanks Creeper for the recommendations!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The stock map is fine with a slip-on, even for a header, airbox mod, etc. You just need to seal up the PAIR valve to rid of decel popping. A properly adjusted throttle sensor takes care of the lean pop. The vacuum mod with just a coupler hose on the TB's helps smooth it out too.
Both the JB and PC can add fuel to correct the lean low/mid-range with or without a slip-on, and also increases fuel consumption, but only the PC can correct top end richness and do precise fine tuning, relating to A/F ratio read on dyno run or with installed wideband O2 sensor (PCV).

Last edited by invader; 05-31-2009 at 04:44 AM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 01:03 PM

I just installed the Two Brothers V.A.L.E.™ Slip-On M-2 Aluminum Canister. I had a smile ear-to-ear all the time while ride-testing it on the bike (on first day). Next day I went to work and noticed it backfires with some loud and some not-so-loud pops. I've already spent some $ on the exhaust and would like to save $ by not having to put in the Juice Box.
Can someone provide detailed instructions on how to seal up the PAIR valve and properly adjust the throttle sensor?
Thanks a million in advance!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 03:55 PM

Fitted the Scorpion can the other day ,It is not too loud just right and it comes with a db killer as standard this is easy to remove for off road use, just fit and ride.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 05:43 PM

I was looking for just the same thing and settled on the ARROW can. A lot of guys have those here with the arrow headers and power commanders etc.
With just the can, you don't need to re-map, according to the arrow folks, and so far I like the way it rides and have noticed no backfiring at all.
The sound is perfect; deep and throaty, but not super loud. It just sounds like a good strong Liter bike now. Build quality is great; and the price is far less than many of the rest. I got mine at Indy Superbikes for about $240 including shipping. I love it!

http://www.indysuperbike.com/Isb1/Ar...-p-122000.html

I did notice the fit between the can and rear tire was VERY close when I first installed it; but it gets further away as you sit on it, and no one else seems to have had any problems with this.

There are a ton of great options out there; remember any can that fits a 650 Ninja will fit the V also, so look for those as well.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:16 PM

I had backfires with the stock can, just barely noticeable. When I put my TBR on it was more noticeable and a bit more often. I installed the juice box they became less frequent. What made them almost go away was when I took the bike for its 14k service. pops are very rare now. I think it had something to do with the throttle body adjustment that is part of that service.

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:22 PM

Last year, I installed a Leo Vince slip-on and plugged the PAIR hose. I then installed a PC-V and the Autotune box that goes with it, using the boss on the Leo Vince for the O2 sensor. I loaded a map for an Arrow slip-on for a starting point, and started riding. Every few days I plugged the laptop in and accepted the offsets the Autotune made into the map, and rode some more. Eventually, the offsets became small, and I'm just allowing the Autotune to make small adjustments now.

I don't have the notchy throttle at low rpms anymore, and the driveability is just about perfect. No popping. Performance is improved a great deal. I'd recommend this to anyone.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode