chain life - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question chain life

hi to all,
my versys is @ 20 000km and the chain is starting to show signs of wear slightly.
rear spocket looks fine, chain is still nice and bike is still smooth except when i'm off the gas. i'm using a scot oiler.

i intend to change the front spocket , which i think is worn off ( notmally the front one goes off first ) , and then when the chain and rear is really showing signs of near death , then i'll change the whole set. saves some $$$

so my question is, whose got the chain set with the highest mileage and what have you been coating it with? please dont say olive oil or bbq sauce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 09:07 AM

I got approximately 10.5K miles (about ~16Km) out of mine. Order the front sprocket, you're going to need it. I use Dupont & WD40, but I must admit around 5K to 8K I didn't keep up with it as much as I should have, including putting it away wet.

-Never mistake kindness for weakness.
-Harley Davidson rEvolution engine (V-Rod): Designed by Porsche, detuned by Harley.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 09:18 AM

Been getting about 18,000 miles on mine on average.

What seems to go first is that the chain gets uneven. When I have the bike on its rear stand and rotate the tire, the chain could be somewhat taut in one area of the rotation and then very slack in another area.

Actually, my sprockets don't look bad. Some people change the front sprocket with each chain change and do the rear sprocket every other change. That's what I do. I see no longer chain life when I change both sprockets at the same time, and my rear sprocket still looks good after 18,000 miles.

I'm trying an experiment with a new chain oiler/cleaner I made; plus I changed the chain in the teeth a little over a quarter turn at about 10,000 miles to see if that has a remote chance of making the chain stretch more even.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 10:35 PM

right I'm at 13k miles and all I can see is my chain is a lot looser I don't know if I should just tighten it and go for awhile longer or replace it altogether... I guess my answer lies in the fact that I am leaving on a 10k mile ride through Alaska and don't want to deal with it... I am looking at the DID chains... I use some generic synthetic chain oil for on and off road and it kinda foams when you put it on. it seems ok... I too kinda slacked for a while but now and especially with my new chain I will be oiling it every 3rd tank of gas... anyway

atgatt I'm a little slow and didn't follow this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
plus I changed the chain in the teeth a little over a quarter turn at about 10,000 miles to see if that has a remote chance of making the chain stretch more even.

08 Versys 32+k and counting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 11:28 PM

Okay, I'll be the first to ask. When do we know exactly when to get a new chain? I'm at 10,900 and have tightened it once. The rear sprocket looks fine. I've only used 80/90 gear oil with a brush every so often. I know, I know, every 400 is recommended, and I try to stick within that. I used a tooth brush and some dish soap the other day and gave it a thorough cleaning, and reapplied oil. I don't know what any of the warning signs are on the chain itself.

I know it's different, but I've used chain saws all my life. The only time the chains were replaced was when you couldn't lengthen the bar any further (chain is stretched as far as it could go). I've been under the impression so far to use this same logic with a motorcycle chain - i.e. change it when I can't tighten it any longer.

As always, input is appreciated!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 12:13 AM

Proper cleaning and oiling can make a chain last 20k miles. Also keep in mind the second 10k miles the wear starts to show much much faster than the first 10k.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 12:28 AM

I'm a normal guy... need pics to understand. What does "wear" look like?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvoelsch View Post
I'm a normal guy... need pics to understand. What does "wear" look like?
Kinked links that are so tight they can't go back to being straight with the rest of the chain after coming off the sprocket and sections that have worn enough to show significant difference in tension when rotating the wheel (i.e. you adjust for the tighter ones to have the correct free play and the loose sections are way too loose) are two key signs of wear. Sorry, never took any pictures. I will have some soon, my V-Strom needs a new chain.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
One of the ways we checked for a "worn out" chain (way back when... ), was to push or pull the chain in the center of its run to get it tight, then see whether or not you could pull the chain more than 1/2 of a tooth out from the rear most part of the rear sprocket. That will DEFINITELY show that the chain has worn, tho' if you do it WITHOUT putting tension on the chain first it tells you next-to-nothing.
Ed
PS Also, the manual will give a limit that you can measure for, and a way to do it. (KLR's limit is 12.7" over 21 pins, center-to-center).

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 05-28-2009 at 10:40 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 12:05 PM

When changing a chain its a good idea to always change both sprockets. If you only do front and the chain, the wear on the rear will cause the new chain to wear out quicker.

I'm approaching 18kmiles on the original chain, with no adjustments and I use this magic lube every 300 miles or so.

Looks like I'll get to 25k without an issue, I have a load of 'chained' bikes before this and always managed to eat the chain around the 10k mark-the only thing I do differently is use this stuff and use it more often.

Along with others I've been recommending this stuff ever since Gustavo recommended it to me, it really does the job.

Machog

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post

I'm approaching 18kmiles on the original chain, with no adjustments and I use this magic lube every 300 miles or so.

Machog
How often do you clean your chain? With what?

Thanks.

• Black Firstgear Mesh-Tex 2.0 Pants + Y/B Fieldsheer Air Tour Mesh Jacket + N/S Deluxe All Season Cover X-Large + Evolution 4 Disc Lock

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 03:59 PM

SB, I don't clean my chain, ever, just lube it with Dupont stuff.

After riding in heavy rain-which I do a lot up here in the Pacific Northwet, I'll let it dry off before lubing, but thats about it. No rust, no stretch, no kinking, no noise.................. no problems. The pic really doesn't show much except that after 18k miles is still seats nicely on the rear sprocket.

I used to clean the chain on my old KLR, but I was taking protective wax/lube/etc off every time I cleaned and then put new stuff back on-so cut out the cleaning part.

Because this stuff isn't sticky, it doesn't attract or hold grit-even on dusty forest roads.

Machog

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 04:09 PM

Machog, I've looked for this spray your talking about , im hoping to find some before my trip in June , Im praying that I dont have to wait until YOUR SIDE OF THE BORDER

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Im praying that I dont have to wait until YOUR SIDE OF THE BORDER
http://www.lowes.ca/default.aspx

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...101&lpage=none

You have Lowes in Canada, the only place I've ever found it. Maybe you can get it by mail order, they don't have any stores on the Island. Maybe a US store would ship it to Canada?

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubr...buy/index.html

If all else fails, pick a sunny weekday and I'll meet you just south of the border with a new can in hand-my compliments!

Machog

Last edited by Machog; 05-28-2009 at 04:31 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 05:51 PM

Can get it as Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Multi-U...3550911&sr=1-1

Can get it as Amazon.

• Black Firstgear Mesh-Tex 2.0 Pants + Y/B Fieldsheer Air Tour Mesh Jacket + N/S Deluxe All Season Cover X-Large + Evolution 4 Disc Lock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode