Am I Still Growing or What? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Am I Still Growing or What?

I've had my 2013 V since March of this year, and it was quite an adjustment from my first bike, a Suzuki TU250x in more ways than one. The most noticable (pleasantly) of all is the increase in power of course. The next is the seat height. When I first got it, I recall having to REALLY tip toe when at a stop. It was during this initial period of ownership that I dropped the bike on both sides at a very slow speed because of its height-luckily I had already installed my crash bars. However, as time went by and I guess my comfort level with the bike improved, I hardly notice that I can't flat foot the bike. It seems to me that my feet now when tip toeing, are not as high as it used to be.

Could it be that the bike, because of my weight, has settled to its more permanent height, or have I gotten really comfortable with my V that it's seems normal to me or I've grown an inch or two (this is highly unlikely, if not impossible as I am an old man of 53! )?

Have any of you guys and gals experience this with your V? Just curious.

p.s. I tried to practice 2 up with my wife, but still too high for her to get on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 03:32 PM

I'd guess it's a combination of what you mention. Most of us were surprised at how much she wiggled at a stop due to the high center of gravity and the fuel slosh but adjusted to it.

My gf is 5'2" and has no problem getting on but I've got an 34" inseam. Maybe your wife can get on if you support the v on the side stand and your left and than straighten up after she's mounted? Of course my gal rides horses so she's used to height and having to throw a leg over.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 04:13 PM

Garage
That's why I installed the lowering kit before I dropped mine

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
...It seems to me that my feet now when tip toeing, are not as high as it used to be.

Could it be that the bike, because of my weight, has settled to its more permanent height, or have I gotten really comfortable with my V that it's seems normal to me or I've grown an inch or two (this is highly unlikely, if not impossible as I am an old man of 53! )?

p.s. I tried to practice 2 up with my wife, but still too high for her to get on.
I think your suspension has 'broken-in' which explains it being slightly lower.

When my wife would get on - I would straddle the bike so it's vertical, brace myself, then she would get on from the left (like getting on a horse) holding her hands on my shoulders for support. NEVER a problem.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
That's why I installed the lowering kit before I dropped mine
Ditto with this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
I've had my 2013 V since March of this year, and it was quite an adjustment from my first bike, a Suzuki TU250x in more ways than one. The most noticable (pleasantly) of all is the increase in power of course. The next is the seat height. When I first got it, I recall having to REALLY tip toe when at a stop. It was during this initial period of ownership that I dropped the bike on both sides at a very slow speed because of its height-luckily I had already installed my crash bars. However, as time went by and I guess my comfort level with the bike improved, I hardly notice that I can't flat foot the bike. It seems to me that my feet now when tip toeing, are not as high as it used to be.

Have any of you guys and gals experience this with your V? Just curious.

I think you would be hard pressed to "break in a 1000 lb spring. Could be a combination of suspension settle, seat foam settle and your leg-foot muscles have strengthened to your new stance. Try getting your wife to mount the bike by standing on the "riders" footpeg to mount, which is lower. You just move your leg forward slightly after you have mounted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode