Impact Wrench Help! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Impact Wrench Help!

I have a 1/2" air impact wrench (from Harborfreight). Its rated at 250ft lbs and requires [email protected], which my compressor has. With me so far?

Thought I'd try it out on the lug nuts on my Ridgeline (rated at 80ft lbs). I knew they would probably be over-torqued.

Wrench made zero impact (pun?) on them. So, jumped on a breaker bar to take them off, re-set them to 80ft lbs with my torque wrench-but still wrench won't undo them.

It says not to set pressure regulator above 90psi.

Wrench has 4 settings with a thumb screw underneath, 1 to 4, I've got it on 4 and yes it is running anti-clockwise.

Any help or suggestions welcome.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 06:01 PM

Are you using an extension on the socket? Sometimes that will insert enough slack so as to defeat the impact mechanism. I've got a similar 1/2 inch and it'll take off anything I throw at it, so my large trucks wheel changes with it all the time on #4.

Oh, and my compressor is always maxed out on PSI around 140-150 unless I'm doing woodworking.

Last edited by Starbucker; 05-19-2009 at 06:03 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 07:35 PM

This reply is really no help except to say when I bought my impact wrench I did a lot of reading on forums on the same subject. So many inputs were about their well rated for the task impact wrenches not doing the job.

I have the HF Earthquake with a compressor that only does about half of the required SFM at 90 psi, yet when I crank the psi to about 100, that wrench will easily take off the back axle nut and even the front sprocket nut that I COULD NOT get off with a long breaker bar.

Plus, every time I use my Earthquake, I put a drop of air tool oil in the air hole before using. Not using oil over time will reduce the motor torque.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:59 PM

Unfortunately my Air impact and my compressor are in storage right now but I experienced the same problem last year.

A friend told me that it is probably because the air impact gun is starved for oil, he recommends to put pneumatic oil in the impact gun and it should be able to get to the rated torque again.

UNTESTED

Since my air impact gun is in storage I can't test it but this friends of mine seems trustworthy... trustworthy enough to ride my V (I got his SRAD 750 in return)

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 10:00 PM

A air impact wrench should be oiled regularly.
IMHO, for tightening bolts to specs, a manual torque wrench is the way to go.
Overtighting just causes a lot of problems.

Thanks.

Last edited by stlee29; 05-19-2009 at 10:28 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

I've got an auto oiler on the compressor, but I'll turn it up-tx for the ideas, maybe the wrench is just too wimpy?

My compressor limits out at 120, but gun says to use no more than 90, but going to turn that up as well.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 11:27 AM

Nobody runs 90 psi for shop air. 125 is about the minimum. No regulator in line. You also need a 3/8" hose with minimum length. Long undersize hoses will restrict airflow.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Nobody runs 90 psi for shop air. 125 is about the minimum. No regulator in line. You also need a 3/8" hose with minimum length. Long undersize hoses will restrict airflow.
I agree. I always run 100psi + when running my impact. I also have a 3/4" impact for the ornarary jobs. Just drop a few drops of oil in your gun every time your use it.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode