Noises, strange or not ??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Noises, strange or not ???

Hello everyone,
I've had my versys for about a week now, being at almost 700km (Break in is such a boring process...).
For the last 3 days I can hear some noises the bike makes which I didn't notice before.
The first one comes from the engine, is a "click" type noise and can be heard all the time. It followes the revs of the engine. I think it comes from the valves but i really can't say for sure. What i can surelly say is that this noise wasn't there for the first 300-400 km.
The second one comes from somewhere in the front. The closest I can describe this sound is like having a small box with a few keys in it and shake it. It can be noticed only when the road is rough or when going over small bumps. I checked for loose parts with no luck. I have no other key attached with the bike's key that can shake around so this can't be it either. This noise was surelly not there as well for the first 500km.
Finally I have noticed that when I turn the ignition key to the on position there is a beep like sound that goes for a few seconds and the stops (i think that's the pump) which is normal. However this sound isn't always there latelly. Sometimes it happens, some others it doesn't, randomly, whether the engine is warm or cold. There is always a noise coming from the engine but isn't the familiar beeeep. I really don't know how to describe that kind of sound.

Did anyone else notice such things or is it just me ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 03:19 PM

Mine has the click to I think that is normal. The priming of the fuel injection happens when you turn the key to the on postion but I don't think it happens if the gear selector is in gear. Try that and see if it makes a difference. after the break-in period it gets a lot more fun.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. What I described happens when the gear is neutral.
I'm sure it will be much more fun, i went for a test drive before I buy it so i really can't wait to feel that power again !

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 04:52 PM

Clicking "NOT A PROBLEM" BS OR NOT?

I know what you mean I here the clicking sound too. I hear it around 3000 rpm just like you said the click sound follows the revs. It really bugs me. I talked to the local dealer and they road my V around the block and they said not to worry. Not an issue.
But just like you I didnít here it at first. One guy said that sound was the cam chain. If that is so may be stretched out some and the noise started?? I donít here the other sound up front like you talk about. Lets keep in touch and Ill let you know what I learn.
You are not crazy I here it too.
Mike [email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2830.jpg (84.2 KB, 91 views)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 04:59 PM

Wind Shield helps you hear the Clicking sound

To add to this I installed a tall windshield and it cuts down on the noise so I hear the the engine really good. So maybe its just normal sounds?? I hope
Well anyway I going to make the dealer report this in writing to Kawasaki so if something big goes wrong I can show the report if necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2443.jpg (68.2 KB, 68 views)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:13 PM

The noise at the front could be from steering head, at least I think it's called that way. On mine it became loose, uses a 10 or 12 hex. It's underneath the handlebars mount.

Did you try to change the gas to see if the engine noise is still there? Could it be pinging?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 11:25 PM

Sounds like normal noises to me

Clicking is likely your fuel injector solenoids... perfectly normal. I have several vehicles with a similar click, including my versys.

The rattling is from somewhere in the front cowling. Pretty soon it will turn into a buzz.

It's pretty safe to say that these are not quiet machines.They rattle, and buzz some, and as you drive them more, the sounds will change. Just when you find that annoying buzz from the dash, something else starts.

There are many threads on quieting the cowling/dash... I have had mine apart several times trying to isolate various noises, and for now it's pretty good, but I know that won't last!

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 AM

I agree with Red Herring, all normal noises.

The most irritating one is the front cowling - will start to buzz, particularly around 3000rpm, and goes once you get going.

Many ideas have been shared re filling the space between the cowling and the front dash to eliminate it, but these buzzes will keep coming back.

I have been threatening to do it for a while, but haven't got around to it as yet - maybe this weekend !!!!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your help and accept my apologies for my late reply but I had some major health issues. I wasn't able to ride the bike since the day of my post and still can't so I can't get it to the local dealer to have a check yet. I'll get back to you as soon as I have more news.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
I agree with Red Herring, all normal noises.

The most irritating one is the front cowling - will start to buzz, particularly around 3000rpm, and goes once you get going.

Many ideas have been shared re filling the space between the cowling and the front dash to eliminate it, but these buzzes will keep coming back.

I have been threatening to do it for a while, but haven't got around to it as yet - maybe this weekend !!!!!
that sound can be fixed. I did mine at 12000 miles and it works. its got nothing to do with mechanical problems but is irritating.

My stand is that the bike is perfect with noises and all. if I had to worry about every sound from a bike I would never relax. Just get on and ride. This is not a modern car where you are in a closed capsule. everybody on this forum put on miles like crazy and it is still going.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 04:22 PM
naz

this strange clicking sound from the engine is the cam chain i believe,can anyone verify if it?
for the guyz who checked the valves did you notice the chain to be loose?
i think it has an automatic chain tensioner though,any feed back plz?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:33 PM

My klx250s also had over head cams. and yes the cam chain can make noise. It does have an automatic tension and on the klx I was able to remove the cap and with a 16 common nail was able to push in hard until i heard a click, and this would advance the tensioner and the cam chain noise would be gone for awhile. What i eventually figured out is the noise is common to this style of motor, and to just live with it. I didn't like it, but the bike still ran great regardless of the noise. Not sure if this applies to our bikes but still my 02. cents worth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glx51mm View Post
Thank you all for your help and accept my apologies for my late reply but I had some major health issues. I wasn't able to ride the bike since the day of my post and still can't so I can't get it to the local dealer to have a check yet. I'll get back to you as soon as I have more news.
Wish you a speedy recovery on your Major Health Issues. dont worry on the noise as that's the fun part of the V. Getting to iron out all the small little problems.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 06:21 AM
naz

indeed fastoman good point.
could we install a manual cam chain tensioner as in this video?

invader ? show up plz i wanna get rid of this clicking sound its annoying
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 06:16 AM

my V got extra clicking sound following with revs, increases when tilted to left.

My bike is ridden around 5000km, and I have begin to notice some extra clicking sound in rhythm with rpm, and the click-sound increases when I tilt the bike to left, and it goes away when the bike is tilted to right. It is not the cowling buzz as it comes from somewhere under the gas-tank.

I am worried maybe some engine fastener is getting loose.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 01:14 PM
naz

this clicking sound is analog to engine rpm? in my case its in complete analogy .i locate the sound source to the cylinders base area.after some days examining the situation i am in position to say its 90% the cam chain tensioner not doing its job correctly.even if everybody says this sound is normal i am not so sure about it...i will check my options and report
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode