Cardo Scala Rider Q2 Multiset - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cardo Scala Rider Q2 Multiset

Just recieved it yesterday, put it through some tests, quality product, works better than I thought it would, not near as versitile as my Autocom but what it does it does well.

If anyone has any questions concerning communication systems or was thinking of purchasing one ask away I might be able to help

fitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 02:42 PM

Fitz - save me the google search - can you describe what's included in this particular set? I assume "multiset" means it's an intercom too, so at least to headsets. What else?

About performance - What speeds have you tested it at? At what speed does the background noise make it difficult to have a conversation?

Thanks,

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 06:16 PM

I have the rider teamset, nearly identical it just lacks the bike to bike function.
It has intercom, mp3 plug-in, and bluetooth for a phone or Motorcycle specific gps.

The intercom works great at all speeds I've tested, up to 90 mph or so...
the mp3 plug in is kinda quiet. At highway speeds it tended to fade out for me, but I put foam padding behind the speakers to bring them closer to my ears and now it is audible at highspeeds as well (just not as good as the intercom, or in-ear headphones).
I have not used the bluetooth yet, but I've hard good things from another rider on this forum.
really, I feel like I did my research and I believe the Cardo Scala products are probably one of the best out there.
To top it off, You can find great prices on them on ebay. I got the teamset I believe for 145 shipped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Basically its two headsets, each one is its own unit, no need for anything else. They attach to any helmet and can be used full duplex to bike to passenger or bike to bike up to 540 yards. Completely wireless bluetooth. They have a built in FM radio and you can plug your mp3 player into them or sync it up with you cell.

Tomorrow we plan on riding quite a bit so I'll be able to give you a full test report, testing a new gadget AND riding a new bike, what could be better?

fitz
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 06:20 PM

To add to that, keep in mind... that the audibility of the headset is going to vary depending on the level of your helmet noise.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 06:29 PM

How well does it function in an extended downpour? I liked my "old" HJC-90 chatterbox (bike to bike) until it got wet.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Amir -do you have the Q2 version? If yours works that well as the older version and from what I've read the newer one is supposed to be a decent upgrade sounds like it should do the trick.

Gustavo - probably the biggest drawback depending on what you need, is the one to one connection, meaning no group, one person or bluetooth device at a time no more. Unlike my Autocom you can be talking to your passenger, on your cell, listening to your mp3, hooked to your gps and talk to as many other bikes as you want on the same frequency.

Potus - it says it can handle the weather but you know how that goes.

fitz
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 06:52 PM

Fitz- mine is NOT the Q2. It's the "Cardo Scala Teamset." It's missing the bike to bike, and the fm radio compared to the q2.

Potus- I have had it in light rain and it was fine. The whole unit is coated in a thick rubber, so I do believe it would be just fine the in heavy wet stuff.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 03:32 PM

The new Scala G4 will be out next month. It has an extended range and true stereo. The radio in the Q2 is mono. The specs are not posted on Cardio's website. Here is a link to a catalog that has the information.

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...Code=TR21-0094
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 05:35 PM

Check out the units from Collett Electronics for excellent Vox / Bluetooth communication. Used them with open faced helmets last summer on tour throught BC. Range was up to two kilometers plus, with clear communication most of the time. Completely waterproof.
http://www.collett.mb.ca/
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:18 PM

What do you guys thing about this headset from Parrot?

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFWCommuter View Post
The new Scala G4 will be out next month. It has an extended range and true stereo. The radio in the Q2 is mono. The specs are not posted on Cardio's website. Here is a link to a catalog that has the information.

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...Code=TR21-0094
The extended range would only be useful if someone has a line of sight that IS a mile away, when driving around today the distance wasn't a factor at all it was keeping the line of sight, same as with gfrs "5 mile" radios.

The stereo would be useful for some one that listens to music while they ride but still would be limited by the cordless low bit rate, not bad but not even close to the sound of a corded system.

I did read that you could hook up to more than one person, two linked on one bike linked to two people on another, if I read that correctly THAT would be useful.

I'll have to give Cardo a call and see how it all works.

fitz
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 10:30 PM

I've got a Scala Q2 and it's an OK setup. I'm quite bothered by the fact that you can't stream music via bluetooth. It does everything else so well and this is the big downfall because the audio port is so quiet and tinny while the intercom and phone calls come in so clean and clear.

I will say that I'm extremely impressed with the range and clarity so much that I may spring for the G4 when it is released.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Put the Cardo through more than 5 hours of "testing" today, WOW I'm beat.

Stayed connected with the other bike as long as there was a line of sight, the instant the headlight disappeared over a hill, bam gone, but as soon as you could "see" them it reconnected.

The ability to hear the other person at speed wasn't a problem; it would compensate for the increased noise and become louder. The only problem was in order to compensate for the ambient noise going 100mph it would start to hurt your ears. Maybe ear plugs would help cut out some of the harshness.

Overall a good system, quite a bit more tinny than my corded system but it was nice to BE cordless, although I still had to remember to turn it on and then off so the batteries didn't go dead. With the corded I had to remember to plug myself in and unplug myself before I got off. Ever see a bike yank a biker back by his helmet when he tries to get off his bike? It ranks up there with forgetting to put your kickstand down

fitz
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemy Zero View Post
the audio port is so quiet and tinny while the intercom and phone calls come in so clean and clear.
We are so used to the poor sound quality from our phones and the exceptional sound quality from our music players...
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz View Post
We are so used to the poor sound quality from our phones and the exceptional sound quality from our music players...
That's probably it . It'd be nice not to have that wire hanging down either way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode