Break-In Period - All highway riding? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Break-In Period - All highway riding?

Long story to explain, but I had to ride the first 700kms primarily on the highway. The first 15 kms was in the city and generally kept to under 4,000 rpms. Couple times "saw what she could do" for short bursts through a few gears.

After that it was mostly highway where every few minutes I would slow down and work through a few gears before getting back to speed, usually hovering at 4,000rpms. I also would try to vary the speed quite a bit when I had to stay in the same gear (heavy traffic and couldn't slow down). About 100kms of it though were a mix of city and or steep, winding up and down roads requiring me to go through all of the gears.

I've read the motoman break-in now (after the fact). I had previously read the Kawi recommendations from the manual.

Any severe consequences for the break-in that I ended up having to do? Anything I should do now besides an oil change coming up?

Thanks.

P.S., even through riding the bike fairly lightly, very impressed so far! Well, except for the headlights. I'll save that for another thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
That was well done... The best thing you could do right away is drain the oil now ASAP, and put in new oil and filter.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 06:49 AM

You did better than a lot of goons and their new bikes... nobody on this forum, of course. Your V should be just fine. As Invader suggested - an oil change wouldn't hurt anything. I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic and changing it around every 6000 miles. You'll see a million different opinions here... but it's all working well for me.

Better hop to it... you've only got six more weeks of riding left this season... eh?

Hahahahaha... I kill me... and I once lived in Plattsburgh, NY - so I kinda feel your pain.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 08-06-2013 at 06:55 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
You did better than a lot of goons and their new bikes... nobody on this forum, of course. Your V should be just fine. As Invader suggested - an oil change wouldn't hurt anything. I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic and changing it around every 6000 miles. You'll see a million different opinions here... but it's all working well for me.

Better hop to it... you've only got six more weeks of riding left this season... eh?

Hahahahaha... I kill me... and I once lived in Plattsburgh, NY - so I kinda feel your pain.
I ride 365/year! I live in Victoria, BC, Canada...year round riding here and my bike is my only means of getting to work!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 10:54 AM
MTS

Slam in some new brew eh, syn, and rev the hell out of it!

Well done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 11:13 AM

Garage
You destroyed the bike riding it like that. Ill PM you my address, so you can send it to me and I will dispose of it for you.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves View Post
I ride 365/year! I live in Victoria, BC, Canada...year round riding here and my bike is my only means of getting to work!

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves View Post
... Well, except for the headlights. I'll save that for another thread.
You "done GOOD" on the break-in. MOST V headlites are aimed way too low. Try raising yours.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

So I didn’t screw things up? I was worried that even though I was trying to change things up every 4 minutes or so, the other 3.5 minutes (which adds up to several hours over the course of the trip) might have ruined the “proper” break-in.

Hawk –noted.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Change the oil now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode