Fixing tank dent -- new tank or repair? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
ap0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy Fixing tank dent -- new tank or repair?

Just had a terrible little accident and properly dented my tank. Pretty bummed about it. I want to get it fixed, but I'd like a little input from you guys:

If I take it to a body work guy, will he pop out the dent and fix it or just bondo it and paint? I'd prefer have the dent worked out and not lose fuel tank capacity.

If I buy a new fuel tank (which are a whopping $480!), can I install it myself? I'm of about average mechanical skill -- I can change oil, but that's about it. I'm worried about the fuel gauge sensor thing inside the tank and how to get that from one tank to the other. Has anyone else here done that?

How big of a deal is this for resale? Would I be better off just buying a new tank if I plan on reselling it? I know it's going to lose some value, but I figure a brand new tank is a lot easier to sell than a fixed up dented old one.

Attached are some pics to make you cringe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I just completed a fairing repair and it looks great. Painting is easy but time consuming. Most of the work is in the prep and most of the time is in waiting for things to dry. Go to an auto paint store to get your paint. Total cost of DIY repair is $80 or less plus any auto body shop charges to hammer out dents.

- spray can primer
- custom mixed Kawasai Blue color in spray can
- spray can of clear coat
- two part bondo or bondo glaze filler in a tube

I would remove the tank from the bike and all trim pieces and fuel pump from the tank. Take it to a body shop to get it hammered out from the inside. They should only charge $40 for this. Don't let them drill the tank or put holes in it as it will ruin it as a fuel container.

Take it home and do the painting and bondo work yourself. It is easy if you look up how to do it. Go to a auto paint store and get them to mix up a color spray can with the Color Rite color code you supply. You can look this up on the web for you Versys year. Also get a can of high build primer and a can of clear coat.

Cover all the holes in the tank before sanding and painting.

Completely sand tank the entire tank with 320 wet paper and a sanding block. Sand the dent with 80 grit. Apply bondo to the remaining dent and resand with 320. Reapply a second bondo coat and resand bondo, continue this process iteratively until you can run your hand over the dented surface without feeling any imperfections. You can also use bondo glaze in a tube for the final thin layers. A flexible steel straight edge can help in spreading the bondo evenly over a curved surface. Always use a sanding block when sanding.

Coat with 2 coats of primer and resand with 800 grit. If any primer wears away re coat and resand. Paint will only stick to primer, not steel, bondo or old paint.

Coat with 2 coats of color coat and lightly sand with 3000 grit after 2 days drying time.

Coat with 3 coats of clear coat waiting 10 min between coats.

Reinstall on bike after 24 yours. Don't wash or wax for a week. You need a week for the paint to completely cure and harden. Optional - use buffing compound after a week to remove minor imperfections.

Use the web to look up how to videos on bondo work and painting.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-05-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode