Wind noise? Who knew? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wind noise? Who knew?

So it's August in Texas. I went out for a Sunday morning ride. Its a fine Sunday morning, but it starts getting hot late A.M. I'm not going into any detail, but an hour into the ride, my crotch starts to get sweaty. So I'm on a country road and I stand up to air things off a bit. Low and behold not only do I cool my "buds" off but I notice all that wind noise I thought was normal just ceases to exist. I mean, it gets so quiet when I stood up (~60 MPH) I could hear the chain for the first time. I sat down. Very noisy again. I stood up.... quiet. Very quiet again. I sat down, tucked behind the windscreen and it got sorta quiet. Sat up, and heard the old what I thought was "normal" wind noise. Stood up again and it was fantastically quiet again. I did this experiment several more times and have come to the conclusion the stock windscreen causes wind turbulence which makes for quite a racket. I wear a full face helmet and ear plugs. (rated 32db) So I'm throwing the question out there.... are there fellow riders that have found an aftermarket screen that can give me the peace of quiet that I never knew I could enjoy until this accidental discovery this morning? Now I want that quiet while seated and traveling at 70-80 mph. Is it possible? Anyone else have this discovery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRKVERSYS View Post
So I'm throwing the question out there.... are there fellow riders that have found an aftermarket screen that can give me the peace of quiet that I never knew I could enjoy until this accidental discovery this morning? Now I want that quiet while seated and traveling at 70-80 mph. Is it possible? Anyone else have this discovery?
Many many many threads about windshields and too many variables to answer your question. Some members have tried several before finding one that works for them. I purchased the OEM tall from a forum member and it works great for me.

Sorry I could not be more help, but just because this works for me does not mean it is the one for you.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 05:48 AM

Several members swear by no windscreen at all... stock or otherwise.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
No matter which windscreen you try, there will always be buffeting and turbulence because of its upright angle... I switched to a Mike's Shields custom 16.5" tall tinted winscreen. I completely fixed the deafening buffeting and wobble, by tilting the windscreen back as much as possible without it hitting hand guards at full steering lock, by cutting, milling, drilling, and remounting the halves with bolted steel plates. It's now also better tucked in closer to fairing. Looks great and works perfectly.

Last edited by invader; 08-05-2013 at 06:45 AM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 08:15 AM

I'm very concerned about those noises and with the different bikes I had I've tested many solutions. On my experience:
No windshield (even better a naked bike) is great, but then riding for long time is uncomfortable.
It takes $$$$$$ and time to find the correct windshield.
The helmet is as important as the windshield about noise.
The jacket you use also changes buffeting/noise. In my case a tight one usually works better than a relaxed fit. The same with trousers.
The wind coming from below usually bodders a lot.
I'm resigned that only in big tourers (BMW R1200RT, R1200GS ADV, Honda PanEuropean) you really get a nice wind protection. On small-medium bikes forget about it, you can improve comfort, but never equal those big tourers.
Good luck finding the best setup.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 10:16 AM
djg

I still have a stock screen and plenty of noise. The calsci screens look interesting, if a bit weird. No experience, but they look like function over style.

www.calsci.com
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 11:04 AM

Garage
In another thread, we talk about moving the stock screen up so that the bottom two holes are bolted to the top two holes on the mounts. I have at least 80% less noise and buffeting. It only cost me a couple of bucks to make something to help hold the bottom of the screen in place.

My daily 20 mile commute, (3/4 highway) is now very very nice.

I have also ridden without the screen, I liked it, too.

I'm in South Park colorado on vacation, so I have crappy cell coverage and can't find the thread, but check it out!!

'18 Versys V1K
'09 Versys 650
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 11:14 AM
MTS

Warning Calsci screens are great but way to heavy for V! 10+

Problem I had also was what invader talked about. Mirrors, handlebars, ect.

Givi medium right now. Good light and handlebars don't hit.

Still buffeting not bad but not perfect!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 08-05-2013 at 11:28 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. I suppose I need to find some threads on windscreens and start studying. I wish there was a dealer that had a good refund policy or windscreen rental available. Shame that if I buy something for style it might not "work". I'll check out the links and mfg's y'all have offered up. I hope to someday soon find a good looking yet functional solution. Funny, just yesterday I didn't even know I could use a better windscreen. Now I feel its all of a sudden a necessity! Thanks again to every one.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I suppose I need to find some threads on windscreens and start studying. I wish there was a dealer that had a good refund policy or windscreen rental available. Shame that if I buy something for style it might not "work". I'll check out the links and mfg's y'all have offered up. I hope to someday soon find a good looking yet functional solution. Funny, just yesterday I didn't even know I could use a better windscreen. Now I feel its all of a sudden a necessity! Thanks again to every one.

If you buy a windscreen that doesn't work for you you can sell it here. It will work for someone else. I've bought and sold several. Same thing with seats.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 PM

Garage
I figure that if I was worried about wind noise I would drive my car. Then again, there are cars out there that really reduce "road noise." My cars tend to be a bit noisy. I am happy to partake in the environment that I am in.

I will say that I do use foam earplugs for longer rides.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 11:28 PM

I wore earplugs when riding extended periods of time at highway speeds until I got my Givi windscreen. Now I have no need for the plugs. I'm 5' 10" and 150 lbs, your body size and mileage may vary.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:08 AM

I just took mine off and removed the mounting brackets. Feels more like a baby hooligan now. 75mph pushed back on me well enough when I lean forward and it keeps me at a good lean angle without any effort and wind noise is the same. My wife agrees it looks better windshield-less. It almost feels like I get less shake in my HJC IS-16 helmet I daily ride with without the shield. I am seeing about a 2-3mpg drop without it but I ride 90% city so whatevs.

Have you tried sitting a little back on the part of the seat that angles up toward the rear, putting you chest on the tank perform the ricky racer full tuck? It will help keep the noise down until you cramp up or shart yourself I ride the 35 from south austin to round rock once every week or two and I find if the wind noise irritates me if I forget my plugs/headphones a full tuck will help out. I also went from a no name helmet to at least a low end somewhat name brand helmet and that cured 50% of my wind noise issues.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

It was an accidental discovery that it might be possible to get a quieter ride by changing the wind screen. I'm not complaining.... just seeking improvement. My ear plugs work fine to keep the noise down to a tollerable level. However, now that I know its possible to reduce the noise, (buffeting isn't even an issue for this 5'8" guy) I'm going to try some changes.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
It was an accidental discovery that it might be possible to get a quieter ride by changing the wind screen. I'm not complaining.... just seeking improvement. My ear plugs work fine to keep the noise down to a tollerable level. However, now that I know its possible to reduce the noise, (buffeting isn't even an issue for this 5'8" guy) I'm going to try some changes.
I bought mine with a Givi. Added the RoboBrackets. Didn't change things much. Then tried the big CalSci. Good for the winter months but sill not that nice quiet pocket. Next is going back to an OEM screen with OE brackets and see what happens. I've also tried no screen at all and again, not much improvement. I ride with a Bell Vortex. Tried adding a NOJ Quiet Rider that was very effective on prior helmets. Again, minimal if any change. All this tells me it is most likely my helmet and it's design. Neck roll and chin curtain work well so the noise has to be coming from elsewhere. I'm 6'5". Added bar risers and extra seat height, so everything if different. But of course that is my issue.

Seems yours is related to the screen more so than the helmet. You can try no screen at all. Or maybe what you need is a cut down OEM screen. Lots of good threads out there for research.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 12:05 PM

I use the tall MRA Vario touring screen. It works very well, and the adjustable winglet makes it possible to alter the characteristics to suit different height riders.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker View Post
I'm 6'5". Added bar risers and extra seat height, so everything if different. But of course that is my issue.
Yeah, I'd think the Givi is not tall enough for a 6'5" height. I'm
5'10" and I'd like an inch taller screen, but it's still a massive improvement
for the stock screen for my height. Above 6' though and you'll
need something else.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 11:39 AM

I have no idea why so many of you U.S. rider who live in hot climates ride with huge screen. I ride without any screen during the summer, and with the stock seat and custom "flat" mounting brackets during the rest of the year. Keeps your helmet in clear air = silence!

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahwas View Post
I have no idea why so many of you U.S. rider who live in hot climates ride with huge screen. I ride without any screen during the summer, and with the stock seat and custom "flat" mounting brackets during the rest of the year. Keeps your helmet in clear air = silence!
I use the German MRA Vario touring screen, and I look over the top. Adjusted correctly, my head is in still air, and there's no noise to speak of.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 12:14 PM

This is probably the #2 topic among Tiger 1050 riders, headlights being #1.

The MadStad system for either bike works very, very well for cutting turbulence and noise, but restricts airflow in hot climates and lets face it...the aesthetics aren't the greatest.

A lot of guys run a cut-down windscreen - going lower instead of higher - with great results. I actually just run the MadStad baseplate on the Tiger without the shield right now, and it's quite comfortable.

Good luck. This is a deeply personal and difficult problem to sort out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode