Problems starting - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Problems starting

In the last 3 days my V has not started 3 times. It is intermittent. In the past 41,000 miles it has always started right up, but now, it just cranks and cranks. I turn the power off and on and then it starts.

My volts are good, past 12.5 volts and I see that it is charging just fine.

A few days ago when it happened I was low on gas but still had a few bars left. Since then I filled up on gas and only had about 15 miles on it when it did it to me twice today.

So it has volts, gas and cranks. Is the fuel pump going? Should I put some fuel injector cleaner in the tank? Bring it to the dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 10:53 PM

Talking

If you got down to the dregs in the tank after 41k miles, it might be your picking up some crap from the bottom, partially clogging the injectors.

If its bad, fuel injector cleaner may not do it.

If it were me, I'd take the tank off, swill it around with gas I knew was fresh couple of times, throw it out. Then fill it up, take it out for a real thrash and see if that cleared it.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 01:01 AM

Usually you will find a fine mesh screen that will block any particulate around the fuel pick-up. A dirty injector would be gunked up with additive residue and your drivability problem would be indicated by rough idling, low power and hard starting. All three symptoms not just one. I suspect that you may be in the initial stages of an ECU or Stick Coil failure. Take it in and have a diagnostic run. If you have done the vacuum tube mod remove it and return to stock prior to taking it in. You are out of warranty but that mod will skew the test results.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.

Last edited by Bicyclebob; 05-12-2009 at 01:04 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Sparkplugs????
Ed
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

It's continued to have intermittent problems. How I hate intermittent.

It's getting enough juice. Even when cranking it does not go below 11 volts. When it gets down to around 9.5 volts cranking, then it's a juice problem, so I've learned.

Took out all the gas but had to pull out the fuel pump to get it all out, plus I wanted to check the filter on the fuel pump. There were particles but not enough to cause a problem.

The manual says the fuel pump should put out at least 60 mL (cc) each time you turn the key on without starting, and does it for about 3 seconds. Mine is only letting out around 25 each time after doing it about 10 times. That must explain why it always seemed to start up each time I turned the key off, looked in the tank and then it seemed to start up after that, it was because I'm letting more fuel in the second turn key.

Monday I'm bringing it into the dealer so they can verify that is the problem and replace the pump since I have an extended warranty.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 02:04 PM

This is all good information for my future use. For me, fuel injection is like black magic. It just works, but I don't understand how. I need to get edumacated on this new stuff!

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 10:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
Excuse me while i pick up my jaw. YOU HAVE THAT MANY MILES ON YOUR VERSYS DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRNNNNN
HOW I want to know it dose not seem logical
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 05:51 AM

Now then, I left for Versys for about 2 weeks without starting and on starting it kept stalling, once I gave it a bit of revs it started okay, so i thought nothing of it.

I then drove 5 miles to my mates and we fitted one of the Audio Buzzer things that beep after 15 flashes if you have left the indicator on.

after that the bike would not start first time from the button, If you gave it some gas it would start, but once i turned the engine off it would not start again.

I then drove 5 miles back home and it seems okay now, BUT FOR HOW LONG I ASK??????

I have onwned the bike from new, its a 2008 model with about 1200 miles.

Any ideas?????????? what is the ECU or Stick Coil failure all about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode