Instrument panel glows with bike off, key out - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Instrument panel glows with bike off, key out

I just rode home in the rain, shut off the bike, removed the key -- and the speedo screen dimly glows, and the bottom left corner of the tachometer glows, too.

Those lights are on, but just barely.

Any idea what's going on? Should I worry? Anything I should do?

...and 45 minutes after I got home, the dash lights are finally dark.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500

Last edited by Holden; 08-02-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 09:05 PM

Garage
I have not seen anyone respond to this...

I can honestly say that my Versys has been ridden in very hard rain and has not had any electrical problems after those rides.

I hope that you bike is similar-enough to mine for that to remain the case.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Banned

Did you buy the 'bike off Superman????....maybe it's green kryptonite put there by the evil Lex Luther!!!!!

OK, l'll get my coat................................

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
What mileage are you at? Does anything happen when you play with the key in ignition at OFF position?

Switch section screwed on bottom of key barrel can be opened to clean and re-lube the balls and contacts.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2433

Last edited by invader; 08-03-2013 at 01:09 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
I just rode home in the rain, shut off the bike, removed the key -- and the speedo screen dimly glows, and the bottom left corner of the tachometer glows, too.

Those lights are on, but just barely.

Any idea what's going on? Should I worry? Anything I should do?

...and 45 minutes after I got home, the dash lights are finally dark.
May be a ground issue. Have you added/modified electrical components? If so check all the places where the harness has been spliced.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, invader and Murquiza. The bike has 30,000 miles. I park it outside at work, year-round, rain or shine, uncovered. It rained a lot yesterday, and it's possible that water got into the keyhole. Sometimes that little door doesn't slide all the way shut. This makes me think that invader's labor-intensive suggestion might be a good bet.

Couple of other observations:
1) I haven't added or modified electrical components lately, but the previous owner added grip warmers (which no longer work) and brake light and turn signals to the Givi top box. When he did this, he added a fuse block under the saddle. It's uncovered (except by the saddle, of course) and the screw terminals are rusty.
2) I have removed and opened up the instrument cluster three times. The first time, I cleaned the mode and reset buttons and got them working again. Months later, during a long camping trip, condensation got into the clear plastic cover above the speedometer. I took the instrument cluster apart, dried it out, and reassembled it, making sure it fit together tightly and that the boot over the wire harness fit snugly.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500

Last edited by Holden; 08-03-2013 at 02:33 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 12:04 AM

sounds like a relay starting to go bad on you.

I do not know this motorbike electrical system very well, but I would look for a relay being used within the lighting/ignition system.

that fuzeblock also has an internal relay, but is it wired such that it would affect the lights & ignition?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 08:46 PM

Garage
I don't know the detail of the lighting system in the dash, but it could be normal to have residual electricity in the system for a short period of time, just time enough for the capacitor to discharge all their accumulated energy

Further more, if it's led lighting, that period will be much longer since it doesn't consume as much energy as incandecent bulb

My 2 cent

LOP
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 07:47 AM

Hope you do get the issure sorted out, but buy a cover...

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

I hate taking out the instrument panel and opening it up -- so many bolts and screws. Argh. But I did that last night. Removed the instrument panel, opened it -- and there was probably a tablespoonful of water in there. There were literally little puddles at the bottom.

My guess is that this water was somehow completing a circuit, causing the LEDs to glow.

When you take the instrument panel apart, you end up with three pieces: the plastic cover, with the clear window; a bottom plastic housing with tons of crevices, and the instrument gauges. I mopped up the top piece, sprayed WD-40 in that bottom piece, and sprayed lots of contact cleaner in the instrument gauges and let things air dry for a few minutes.

I draped a couple of layers of teflon tape over the edge of the bottom piece, where the top piece fits over it, in the hope that the tape will make the unit watertight. I also wrapped teflon tape around the outlet in the back, where the wire harness's rubber shroud fits over.

Had to put it together and take it apart a couple of times because of a balky mode button, but I used the springy-straw trick, plus adding a tiny piece of aluminum foil on top of the button, to get it working again.

And I'm heeding s102000's advice to buy a cover. I don't like to do it because donning and doffing the 'Stich takes enough time as it is, but whatcha gonna do?

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 04:58 PM

I use a cheap Walmart cover ($20) when I'm not at home where she's in the garage. I keep a long bungee cord handy to help secure the cover and keep the wind from flapping and/or blowing the cheap-o cover off. Works great for me and rolls up pretty small... especially of you use a stuff sack. It's not pretty but that's the least of my concerns.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorcycle...Large/16817257

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 06:00 PM

So did this fix the problem?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 08:59 PM

I'm curious as to what type of lamps are used to light the tach? I don't want to take mine apart if necessary.

"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves." -- Jerry Garcia
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:15 PM

Just speculating on the most likely causes.... Have you toured a nuclear test site or the site of a nuclear disaster or perhaps you used the bike to transport uranium 232 or plutonium recently. Have you checked it with a Geiger counter for residual radiation? A thorough washing with heavy water and Sunlight detergent may resolve. Also have you had your bike checked for the existence of a poltergeist by a qualified shaman? Some holy water properly applied from a spray can to the affected area may resolve.

Last edited by versys_rider; 08-05-2013 at 09:27 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

I did have a shaman check for poltergeists! How did you know? He did a ritual spirit cleansing with smudged sage, and he told me to recite a certain chant each time I fire up the bike. So excited to see if it works!

To answer PeeWee: My son has been working half-days at my office this summer, and he doesn't have gear and he doesn't like to ride. (Yeah, yeah, I know: such a shame.) So I've been commuting by car most days in the few weeks. And this means that I haven't ridden the bike since last Thursday, so I don't know how my solution will stand up in daily use in all types of weather.

That said, I haven't seen the lights glowing ever since I dried out the instrument panel.

I'm pretty sure all the lights are LEDs. The instrument gauge itself is a sandwich of materials that I wouldn't dare try to take apart, so I'm not sure what exactly is the "meat" of the sandwich.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by if6was9 View Post
I'm curious as to what type of lamps are used to light the tach? I don't want to take mine apart if necessary.
Not sure if this helps, but invader posted a link to a french forum that has a tutorial on how to change the lights in the instrument panel to another color. Here's two links on changing the LEDs from the french forum (via invader): http://www.kawette.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7996
http://www.kawette.net/forum/topic7055.html

FYI: Google chrome does a pretty good job translating the page into english
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 01:11 PM

there is a permanent 12v lead going into the instrument panel. maybe the isolation between this wire and the ignition-12v is coming off? I doubt water can close a circuit at mere 12volts dc.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode