Lowered V hitting Hugger - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Lowered V hitting Hugger

After lowering my bike, the undertail section hit the hugger going over bumps. The hugger has rub marks on the top, the undertail section has rub marks on it. The hugger cracked, too. I only had the preload on 2, which worked prior to lowering it. I'm thinking if I crank it back up to 4 or so, it should solve the problem? I'm not that heavy! Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Preload will raise the bike. Compression Damping will keep it from travelling as far.

Pick up "Total Control" by Lee Parks to learn how to set up your suspension correctly and other great riding information.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Does the shock have compression damping? Thought it only had rebound. I'll have to RTFM again!

Edit, looked at specs. No compression adjustment. Hopefully raising it with increased preload will work.

Just wondering if anyone else who has lowered their bike with Speedy's link or any other link has had the bike hit bumps and compress enough to hit the hugger.

Last edited by HondaGalToo; 07-29-2013 at 08:13 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It only has rebound damping adjustment, beside spring preload.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It only has rebound damping adjustment, beside spring preload.
Bummer having budget suspension isn't it. Once you have ridden a bike with quality suspension all other bikes are a compromise.

What really sucks is that I thought I was getting good suspension on the KLX250S. It is better than the OEM KLR650 Suspension, but no where near as good as the Cogent Moab rear shock and racetech parts I put in the front fork.

The Versys suspension works OK for how I ride the bike, but can't take railroad crossing the way I could on the KLR.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I lowered my 09 V, initially, with Speedy's lowering link. Then, later, I added HyperPro progressive springs, front and rear, to lower the bike another 1.25". So, after lowering the bike a total of around 2", I never had a problem. I know the progressive springs reduce the front-end dive when braking hard. Perhaps they do something similar on the rear too.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
I lowered my 09 V, initially, with Speedy's lowering link. Then, later, I added HyperPro progressive springs, front and rear, to lower the bike another 1.25". So, after lowering the bike a total of around 2", I never had a problem. I know the progressive springs reduce the front-end dive when braking hard. Perhaps they do something similar on the rear too.
Good to know, thanks. I've increased the preload from 2 to 5. It doesn't seem to be hitting now, I'll have to find some bigger bumps to be sure! Rides a bit rougher, of course, but tolerable. There are probably other huggers that don't stick up as much as the Pyramid too.

Yeah, stock suspension, ugh. My trackbikes over the years have had full upgrades front and rear (Ohlins 20mm kits in the front, either Ohlins or Penske shocks in the rear), and were properly set up with the correct sag, rebound, and compression. So I too know what good suspension should feel like. For the street riding I'm doing, the Versys is tolerable. For now. Maybe an upgrade is in the future. A progressive spring, or whole new shock...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 09:54 AM

FYI, later on after I had used the progressive (lowering) spring on the rear - with Speedy's lowering kit - I replaced it all with HyperPro's 2" lowering racing shock. It has compression damping (hi and low speed), rebound damping and pre-load adjustment. I set the adjustments as the instructions directed, and the ride improved even more. For my riding (mostly back roads, sometimes a bit rough) the ride is very comfortable. The shock is pricey, but it has worked great for me.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, that's good to know!

Where did you purchase and what model? TIA

Last edited by HondaGalToo; 07-30-2013 at 10:56 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
...Maybe an upgrade is in the future. A progressive spring, or whole new shock...
Check the threads on putting a Yamaha R1 shock on. Both my Vs have them - VERY nice...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, that sounds like a good option as well, thanks!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 06:20 PM

I got my HyperPro shock from EPM. Link: http://www.epmperf.com/
Talk to Klaus. The model of the HyperPro shock is KAD6-3AG. They will build it for up to a 2" (50mm) lower seat height.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
I got my HyperPro shock from EPM. Link: http://www.epmperf.com/
Talk to Klaus. The model of the HyperPro shock is KAD6-3AG. They will build it for up to a 2" (50mm) lower seat height.
Hyperpro...Klaus! Of course! I've actually been there, but it's been years. It's not far from me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode