How much will I miss ABS on the Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Bob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How much will I miss ABS on the Versys?

After asking many dealerships in in South Africa whether it is possible to get the Versys with ABS here the answer stays a definite "No"... which rather sucks. Apparently we don't bring them in with it, and seeing as it is not an after market mod, like heated grips, it is unavailable

Has anybody maybe taken out a V with ABS and a V without ABS and been able to compare?

There seems to be mixed feelings amongst my biking friends on ABS on a bike, although the majority shares my feelings on it... if you can get it then get it.

Switching over from my truck to the V for commuting I want to take all measures possible to stay safe.

Bottom line I wont be able to get it but I would like to hear some thoughts on the braking stability of the V with ABS vs without ABS.

08' Diablo Black Kawasaki Verys
98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

Work hard, play harder. --Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 02:42 PM

Missing ABS

If you can't get ABS, and you feel "nervous", get out there on a nice dry road, with good tyres, and practise, practise, practise front wheel lock-ups. I know that, in the wet, it's not so easy to control, but, after a bit of practise in the dry you quite likely will realise that ABS is not so important.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 02:55 PM

Thumbs up Do it

Yes I agree with Shards, practice. Even if you find some other brand with ABS. Practice. Learn what the bikes limits and yours are before something on the road takes that choice away. Whatever you get have fun, ride a lot and stay in touch.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Bob

thanks guys, the lack of ABS wont stop me from buying the V , I want it too much, me he he.

I guess I'll have to try and practice the lock-ups, even though that does sound kinda iffy, deliberately locking up your front wheel and trying not to put down your brand spanking new bike

Mebbe I go get me some riding lessons and try it on the trainers bike

08' Diablo Black Kawasaki Verys
98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

Work hard, play harder. --Bob
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:50 AM

I had ABS on my previous bike, a BMW F650Cs. The way I used the ABS was to pretend I didn't have it and when I felt it kick in - I took it as an idicator that I over-did the braking. You should be able to stop your bike in all conditions properly without using ABS. ABS should only be the last resort or in an extreme panic situation. You mentioned taking training - that's a great idea and there are a lot of books on the subject of proper braking.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 11:31 AM

I agree with Ocean. Practise the emergency stops on varied surfaces. I have ABS and it doesn't mean you can do things such as brake heavily on the front brake on a bend etc. I have done 500 miles and ABS has kicked in once. This was on loose gravel in the wet. It would not have got me into any bother if I hadn't had the ABS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode