Aluminum handlebar - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Aluminum handlebar

Not trying to start another mirror vibration thread, but that is the reason I'm looking at replacing handlebar. I just replaced stock mirrors with Tuono mirrors and although the vibes are reduced, the left mirror is still bad at 4000~ 5000 rpm. I have mirror extenders and OEM bar end weights.

Question is, have you bought aluminum bar, and if so, what brand and how much better is it than stock steel in reducing vibration?

I'm not interested in trying to fix vibes with weights, caulking in mirror etc so let's not rehash those tired threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
When I had my Honda 919 I put 1-1/8" handlebar adapters on and went with the oversize motocross bars. Height ended up about the same but I wanted less pull-back. I think I went with the Universal brand. I'd say stop by a local shop and just find a bar with the rise and pull-back that feels good to you. I think the oversize bar adapters were made by Moose Racing. The 919 wasn't really a buzz-bike, and I noticed little, if any, decrease. But they sure looked cool! But I am contemplating doing the same to my Versys. It's only money.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
No need for any gimmicks and added weight with tapered aluminum handlebars which are also stronger and lighter... I don't even feel the need for bar-end weights with my Tag Metals tapered aluminum handlebars (with 7/8" to 1-1/8" fat-bar adapter such as Rox) and Zeta hand guards. No numbing vibrations to speak of, and mirror image is clear. Aluminum absorbs much more vibration than steel.
You could also get a 7/8" aluminum street handlebar, without the need for adapters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Renthal-7-8-...41959f&vxp=mtr

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 08:53 AM

Renthal makes a great 7/8" street bar with great rise and bend. I have one on my SV, its fantastic.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
"You could also get a 7/8" aluminum street handlebar, without the need for adapters."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Renthal-7-8-...41959f&vxp=mtr

Invader, how does the rise bend of the Renthal 'bar compare to stock V in ergonomic terms?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 01:10 PM

Renthal's Street High would be just a bit higher than stock.
Stock bars are said to be at:

Width - ~775mm
Rise - ~140mm
Sweep - ~90mm
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, Invader, good info as usual.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 09:43 PM

Those old measurements were from Gustavo... I don't have my original handlebars anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker View Post

Those numbers on the OEM bar didn't look quite right to me so I just got back from pulling the bar off my '08 on doing my own measurements.

Now, based on ProTaper's description of Height, Width, Rise & Sweep, these are my numbers:

A = 760 (Width)
B = 130 (Height)
C = 75 (Rise)

D = 190 (center to center where the OE bars are knurled = 85)
E = 90 (Sweep)

All measurements were made as close as possible from center to center. So, depending on how you measured, the numbers may/will be different.

Some of my pictures - it doesn't work well since pictures are not 3D and what your eyes see vs. what the camera sees is pretty different.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 10:01 AM

Garage
I have some experience in this topic.

I switched out to the Pro Taper Seven Eights ATV HIGH.

I am a pretty tall guy and even for me the ATV high bar is a little too high. I would recommend most people look at the ATV Mid.

I am currently using this bar with the supplied crossbar (stiffener?).
I have also done some work to adapt the stock bar ends onto the aftermarket Pro Taper bar.

IMHO the vibration reduction was very minimal. I still have considerable vibration at cruising speeds. However while I find the mirror vibration annoying, I was not on a mission to kill vibration. You may have better results than me because you will be using mirror extenders and what not.

Also worth noting is that if you remove the crossbar you will most likely get better results. I like having the crossbar on because it provides more bar strength and provides a nice mounting location for GPS.

Good luck.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vers-neer View Post

I am a pretty tall guy and even for me the ATV high bar is a little too high. I would recommend most people look at the ATV Mid.

I have also done some work to adapt the stock bar ends onto the aftermarket Pro Taper bar.

IMHO the vibration reduction was very minimal. I still have considerable vibration at cruising speeds. However while I find the mirror vibration annoying, I was not on a mission to kill vibration. You may have better results than me because you will be using mirror extenders and what not.

Thank you, that is the info I'm looking for. I rather suspected that an aluminum bar alone would not make a considerable difference in vibration level.

The mirror extenders increase mirror vibration in my view; extend a shaking bar and measure the distance traveled at the end. It will increase the longer it is of course, and I accept the trade off for a rear view of the road, not of my shoulder. I'm not really on a mission to end mirror shake totally, it's likely an impossible mission, and I was simply curious about the difference in metals.

I really should know better: want a real bone shaker parallel twin? Try a Norton Atlas (we don't need no stinking additional weight counter-balancers and besides, only real men ride these bikes). Maybe you prefer a single cylinder thumper? I recommend a Matchless G80-CS or a BSA Gold Star. Those classics can blur your vision (but oh my, they sure were easy to look at and fun to ride)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 08:42 PM

I know there are plenty of 7/8" alumi-bars available, but, dammit, 1 1/8" w/no crossbar just looks cooler!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vers-neer View Post

Also worth noting is that if you remove the crossbar you will most likely get better results. I like having the crossbar on because it provides more bar strength and provides a nice mounting location for GPS.

Good luck.
Any problem with brake, throttle, clutch lines and other control cable?
Any picture with the atv high will be appreciated.

cheers,
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I have the stock bars and minimal vibration. If vibration is an issue I would suggest doing a throttle body sync and possibly a valve adjustment (before the synch). Do the sync at 4-5K RPM. This will noticeably reduce vibration if it is off.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 12:30 PM

I got bar end mirrors, and they really cut down on vibrarion. I think the mirror arms amplify the vibrations. however, you active have to look into them, you probably won't notice anything happening there otherwise (besides lights in the dark). It also makes lane splitting easier: Only one thing to worry about at each end.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 01:18 PM

I have recently discovered that a simple, cheap and easy solution to vibes is to fill the bar with something like #8 lead bird shot, seal it in with caulking. Made a huge difference on my Triumph, and would have made a huge difference on my old Versys.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 02:28 PM

I used a Barsnake on my 2000 Husky SM610 motard (a lot of thump!), however I read somewhere that the stock Versys bar is not open end to end. Barsnake makes a fluid filler called Barspit, but it seems to be out of stock, and has been for some time.

Perhaps getting a replacement bar that is open all the way through AND a Barsnake might just do the trick!

http://www.barsnake.com/

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntVersys View Post
Perhaps getting a replacement bar that is open all the way through AND a Barsnake might just do the trick!
This, minus the barsnake.

Seriously. Lead shot. Works wonders. And it's CHEAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode