Rattle from exhaust while bike warms up - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rattle from exhaust while bike warms up

I have noticed what can only be described as a very obnoxious rattle at idle and around 4k RPMs when I first start my bike. The rattle at idle disappears once the bike is warmed up, but continues from around 4k-5k RPM. I was able to track it down over the weekend to where the exhaust pipe meets the muffler body. It looks like there is a weld there, but I can push on the exhaust pipe and see it move up and down. When I push up on the muffler body during idle, the rattle goes away. I imagine that once the bike warms up, the pipes expand, which prevents the rattle at idle. However, the normal vibes in the bike from 4k-5k RPM must be keeping the rattle around then. Here's a youtube clip of the noise (somewhat hard to hear since it's from my phone, but it's very noticeable in person):

http://youtu.be/vzVyLZ5N2B0

So I have a couple questions:

- Is the muffler body supposed to be welded to the exhaust pipe? Based on the info in the service manual, it doesn't seem like it.

- Anybody else have this issue? Thoughts on potential fixes?

Any advice would be extremely helpful!

Last edited by psych-ed; 07-22-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Tighten the clamp up.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Tighten the clamp up.
I will definitely try that, but I'm pretty sure it's coming from that weld where the exhaust pipe meets the muffler body (an inch or two closer to the muffler body than where the clamp is). That weld doesn't seem to be intact so the piece of pipe to the left of the clamp (if you're looking at it from the right side of the bike) is not attached to the muffler body and has a mm or two to wiggle around. Is that normal?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psych-ed View Post
I will definitely try that, but I'm pretty sure it's coming from that weld where the exhaust pipe meets the muffler body (an inch or two closer to the muffler body than where the clamp is). That weld doesn't seem to be intact so the piece of pipe to the left of the clamp (if you're looking at it from the right side of the bike) is not attached to the muffler body and has a mm or two to wiggle around. Is that normal?
Could you post some photos?

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The weld there may well be broken, as it did happen to others before. You can remove muffler and have it welded back up... I still have an unused 2007 muffler available, by the way.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Could you post some photos?
Here's the part that isn't connected (excuse the dirty cans). If I push on the part of the pipe between the clamp and the exhaust, I can see the pipe move up and down where the arrow is pointing. Is that weld supposed to be holding the pipe in place?

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:40 PM

Yes, that weld is broken. It needs to be rewelded.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Yes, that weld is broken. It needs to be rewelded.
Thank you so much. How much are you selling yours for? If the price is right, I may be interested since I don't have the equipment to weld myself.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:46 PM

You could remove the muffler and take it to a welder, which would cost much less...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 10:15 PM

rather than a welder, an exhaust/muffler repair shop might charge you less money to run a good weld around that location.

and I say "might"

i dont think I have ever hit a welder/machine shop that did not want a fifty to do much of anything.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 10:47 PM

Sure, a welder (someone with a weldling machine who can weld) at exhaust/muffler shop could do it.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for all of the suggestions--this forum is incredibly helpful! I'll check out some local shops for the best price and hopefully can find somewhere that does quality work at a low price.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Well I had the day off today and decided to pull off the muffler and take it to a welder. The guy charged me $10 to do the weld and now my V sounds like it did the day i got it. The horrible noise is gone, but I forgot how quiet the stock can is! Might have to think about getting a slip on at some point...

Thank you all for your help!!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 08:01 PM

Garage
Yes this forum is a font of knowledge, but I have to admit that I get on my bike for a ride and I start thinking... Is today the day for my stator to die? How about for my clutch cable to snap? Now I am going to be thinking about broken welds...

I need to tell myself to shut up and pay attention to the ride.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
Yes this forum is a font of knowledge, but I have to admit that I get on my bike for a ride and I start thinking... Is today the day for my stator to die? How about for my clutch cable to snap? Now I am going to be thinking about broken welds...

I need to tell myself to shut up and pay attention to the ride.
I have a spare clutch-cable under the seats on my Vs....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I have a spare clutch-cable under the seats on my Vs....

Ditto! As for the weld, I rode with it broken for a while and aside from worse gas mileage (roughly 35-40mpg) and probably poorer emissions, the bike ran fine--just had a very annoying sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode