What chain lube - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What chain lube

Just wondering what people use and would recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.lowes.com/pd_213197-39963-D00110101_0__

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 03:22 AM

If you go with Dupont's lube, use their application specific Teflon® Chain-Saver Lubricant... DuPont's Teflon® Multi-Use Lubricant is of a different formula with a higher volatile percentage.

"DuPont™ Teflon® Multi-Use Lubricant
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: FORMULATION CHANGE!
PLEASE NOTE THAT AS OF OCTOBER 2011, THE DUPONT™ TEFLON® MULTI-USE DRY, WAX FORMULA WAS MODIFIED. Many of our loyal customers have been purchasing DuPont™ Teflon® Multi-Use for nearly a decade. We recently upgraded the formula to be a semi-dry lubricant no longer featuring the “dirt-resistant, dry-wax” feature. You will notice the most recent cans that appear on shelf do not contain the dry-wax claim on the label. Many users have reached out wondering where their dry-wax formulation went.

If you want to obtain that same dry-wax formulation, you should switch to DuPont™ Teflon® Chain-Saver. This product contains the same Teflon® fluoropolymer, molybdenum and wax mixture that users have come to appreciate for its wear protection, water repellency and dirt resistance."

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubr...lubricant.html

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubr...ain_saver.html

http://www.lowes.com/pd_363773-39963...ube&facetInfo=
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 AM

Garage
Are you crazy to ask this question ... You are going to break the server that host this forum for too much activities !!!

LOP
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 10:55 AM

"Motorcycle Consumer News" magazine just did a report on their tests of the Dupont "Chain Lube" vs the Dupont in the blue can. The conclusion was 1) They are not at all alike 2) The stuff in the blue can is MUCH better for motorcycle chains.

I have been riding and maintaining my motorcycles since 1969 (both on and off-road types). The Dupont spray in the blue can is the best that I have found, by far. For road riding, it lasts 400+ miles between applications, it doesn't attract dirt or dust or grit, and it doesn't make a mess on wheel rim or bike. Dirt just does not stick to this stuff.

Think of dirt on a chain as a "grinding paste" that will eat up your chain.

Before your first application of this stuff, it helps if you take one of those 3 sided "chain brushes" to your chain to get the gunk off from your old chain lube, then apply this lube.

Also - if you ride in a all-day rain, I recommend re-applying the lube afterward.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Are you crazy to ask this question ... You are going to break the server that host this forum for too much activities !!!

LOP
Ha, ha, ha..
Are we thinking a two-letter-two-digit-combination here...?

Last edited by anders55; 07-22-2013 at 12:55 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 12:57 PM

http://www.finishlineusa.com/product...-plus-lube.htm

Good for your motos and your bicycles....

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
"Motorcycle Consumer News" magazine just did a report on their tests of the Dupont "Chain Lube" vs the Dupont in the blue can. The conclusion was 1) They are not at all alike 2) The stuff in the blue can is MUCH better for motorcycle chains.

I have been riding and maintaining my motorcycles since 1969 (both on and off-road types).

So if the blue can is "better" with the changed formula, then why make a yellow can specifically for chains that is not as good?

Seems like totally inverted logic, which I would expect from Congress in Washington, DC. but not from a manufacturing company.

I may well continue using WD-40.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Banned

Should I

I just can't help myself

And here

Last edited by Seeya; 07-22-2013 at 01:14 PM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
So if the blue can is "better" with the changed formula, then why make a yellow can specifically for chains that is not as good?

Seems like totally inverted logic, which I would expect from Congress in Washington, DC. but not from a manufacturing company.

Toofer,

Yes - the logic of the product naming by Dupont is perverse

It's best if you not try anything new. The strain of change could be too difficult. It may even be harmful. Don't ever experiment or test anything new to you. Who knows what may happen.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders55 View Post
Ha, ha, ha..
Are we thinking a two-letter-two-digit-combination here...?
Let me see... would that be... WD40...?

Quote:

As will I (that 55 gallon drum still has LOTS in it...).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post

I have been riding and maintaining my motorcycles since 1969 (both on and off-road types). The Dupont spray in the blue can is the best that I have found, by far. For road riding, it lasts 400+ miles between applications, it doesn't attract dirt or dust or grit, and it doesn't make a mess on wheel rim or bike. Dirt just does not stick to this stuff.

Think of dirt on a chain as a "grinding paste" that will eat up your chain.

Before your first application of this stuff, it helps if you take one of those 3 sided "chain brushes" to your chain to get the gunk off from your old chain lube, then apply this lube.

Also - if you ride in a all-day rain, I recommend re-applying the lube afterward.

Links please. I bought a small squeeze bottle of the Dupont Multi by mistake and used it. I then switched to the Dupont Chain Saver. As common sense would indicate, the chain saver was MUCH better. It did not wear off immediately like the Multi Formulation and stayed in place in the rain. So far Dupont Chain Saver is my favored lube. Does not fling off or attract grit and stays in place providing lubrication.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-22-2013 at 02:43 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 03:09 PM

WebBikeWorld.com's 2012 review of all the DuPont chain related products

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 03:57 PM

[UPDATE: DuPont said that the Chain Saver product "is nearly identical in formulation and any differences you are seeing are purely attributed to when the can was filled during the production run. So our dry, wax formula is not gone, it has simply changed to a yellow can."

We can only report the results we have found during our evaluations. In practice, the Chain Saver product differed from the Multi-Use Dry, Wax formula in 2009 and it appears different today from both the Multi-Use Lubricant and the latest Chain Saver formulation used for comparison.]

The newest versions of the Teflon Chain Saver spray cans we tried result in a lot of overspray and corresponding waste (see the video below). This seems different from when we first reviewed the product.

The Teflon Chain Saver lube does (sort of) become dry after a while, but it's nothing like the original Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lubricant with its "instant dry" feel.

DuPont says that Chain-Saver "Goes on wet and sets up to a clean, dry, wax film which will not absorb dirt or grime". It is claimed safe for O-ring type chains.

They also state that the product "is a dry, self-cleaning lubricant made to withstand high RPMs for a more efficient, longer-lasting chain. Grit and grime activate Chain-Saver’s 'self-cleaning' release agents, which shed dirt to reduce friction and help prevent failure. Chain-Saver’s no fling-off formulation also prevents oil splatters on clothing and wheels. The lubricant, which is enhanced with molybdenum and Teflon fluoropolymer for extreme pressure applications, is also designed for dirt bikes and ATV chains."
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 05:41 PM

this is more confusing than a VP debate. But as an avid X-Files and Milleium fan "the truth is out there". Till I find it, I'm a WD40 Lubing.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 06:18 PM

OK, OK, to make it easy. Is it the Dupont Blue can or the Dupont Yellow can that is best for our bike chains????

Or, Heaven forbid, is it the Blue AND Yellow WD40 can ???

I'm having fun now... LOL

Sorry guys, no disrespect intended. And I am not making fun of anyone.

I just couldn't pass this up!!!!! LOL and ROFL!!!

Last edited by toofer; 07-22-2013 at 06:24 PM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 06:51 PM

My advice to you all is to use Maxima's real synthetic Chain Guard for ultimate chain protection.

http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/in...products_id=29

Last edited by invader; 07-22-2013 at 07:25 PM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 PM

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
OK, OK, to make it easy. Is it the Dupont Blue can or the Dupont Yellow can that is best for our bike chains????

Or, Heaven forbid, is it the Blue AND Yellow WD40 can ???

I'm having fun now... LOL

Sorry guys, no disrespect intended. And I am not making fun of anyone.

I just couldn't pass this up!!!!! LOL and ROFL!!!
+1
I find it extremely hard to refrain from a more detailed comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode