2011 Versys 650 - runs rich - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2011 Versys 650 - runs rich

Hi there. I bought the bike brand new in Fall 2012. Since new, it's running too rich; the exhaust tip is always black. At low RPM, it sometimes cough.

Anyone has an idea what to look for before I take it to the dealer for troubleshooting?

Thanks,

Frank

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 09:21 PM

Try adjusting the throttle position sensor, on the left side of the bike. It requires a T25 torx screwdriver, loosen the screw and slightly rotate the sensor (when I say slightly, I mean less than 1mm). I would say rotate it clockwise since I had the opposite problem on my bike (too lean) and I had to rotate the TPS counterclockwise. Take the bike for a ride and see how it affects the driveability. Might have to play with it a couple of times to get it set correctly. This adjustment (thanks to invader's advice) made a world of difference on my bike, particularly at small throttle openings.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yeah, I'd try counterclockwise like the rest of us to richen up the low end lean cough/stumble. Main throttle sensor is below the subthrottle sensor... It will always be progressively too rich from mid rpm to redline.

What mileage is it at, and have you cleaned and re-oiled (not excessively) the air filter already?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply guys. My bike just hit 4,000km. Oil been changed at 800km (as per owner's manual), s/plugs changed at 2,500km, and air filter is clean and not excessively oiled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode