ASV Lever Caution - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ASV Lever Caution

Anyone contemplating putting ASV levers on a Versys needs to know that ASV does NOT make a clutch side lever for the Versys. The brake side lever happens to correspond to a lever they make for other bikes so they do have that side and list it in their product line but not the clutch side.

You will find vendors online who claim there is a clutch side lever for the Versys. Not true.

I purchased a set of levers from an online source under the assumption that their reference tables were correct. The installation of the brake side went perfectly and took a couple minutes.

The clutch side was a no go.

I contacted ASV via telephone and spoke to one of their technical support folks (Jason?) who was amazingly helpful as I am not the first Versys rider to call. My solution cost $25 in that I purchased a complete clutch perch for a ZX6 (2009 model) off eBay from a bike salvage shop.

This gave me a perfect install. Note: For this model I did have to adjust the clutch cable almost all the way slack to get full clutch engagement due to the geometry of the new perch. The Neutral switch was a direct plug and play from the 2009 Versys wiring; yes, I checked and it does work.

Note: I use bar end mirrors and the ZX6 perch does not have a mirror mount so this actually cleaned things up a bit for me. If you go this way you need to find a perch that has the mirror mount or switch to other mirrors.

Kawasaki, for whatever stupid reason, uses a unique clutch perch on the Versys and the Ninja 650R (and presumably the ER6N). Bad Kawasaki, no biscuit! ASV said they had no plans to make a clutch lever for this perch.

Someone with a machine shop could probably make an adapter plate to take up the slack as the geometry is correct for the lever, there is just one helluva lot of extra space under the lever...about 5/8 inch (I didn't measure it carefully so don't quote me on that).

If I had it to do over I'd probably order Pazzos. I had ordered some of the less expensive Chinese levers and found them lacking in quality, fit and finish. I also wanted the extra adjustment the ASVs give you. I have large hands (XL glove) but short fingers and the stock levers at the closest position were actually too far out to be comfortable with Grip Puppies installed. The ASVs can actually move in closer than I want them and I had to adjust out a bit.

The fit and finish of the ASV levers is amazing and the feel of them really changed the bike and my confidence in braking. I was always a bit afraid I was going to bend/break the brake lever under heavy braking (I have bent levers on other bikes long ago when I was a lot stronger).

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kimel; 07-20-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 02:15 AM

This is a great review of the ASV lever problem. Do you know if there's been any further updates on this issue since your original review a few years ago? I really like the ASV levers but thinking I'll have to go with Pazzo's.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

I haven't heard anything from ASV. The different perch solution has worked well so I haven't been bugging them about it.

I have now twice had the brake side partially lock up with the brakes lightly applied. Folding the lever fully out and back solves it but unsettling. The push rod from ASV is a much smaller diameter than stock. I suspect it is getting jammed up in the master cylinder. I am having a hybrid push rod made by turning a stock push rod down on the lever side but leaving a stock push rod size in the master cylinder.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 12:52 PM

Good to know. I'll probably go with the Pazzo's. Hope your fix works for the brake lever.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode