SW Motech pegs sheered off! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Angry SW Motech pegs sheared off!

While riding home last night from an amazing day of riding in the Blue Ridge mountains my right On/Off Road foot peg from SW Motech sheared straight off!

I was merging onto the freeway, put pressure on the right footpeg and BAM. My foot is bouncing off the ground! I thought "Man I have to take the rubber inserts out, my feet must have slipped off" Glanced down and there was no foot peg!

Luckily I was only 10 minutes from home and propped my leg up on the crash bars. What if this happened 300 miles away from home earlier in the day! Ugh. I understand that parts break. But I am an easy cruising rider, dont take the V off road and weigh 135lbs. There is NO reason that this should happen.

Emailed Twisted Throttle this morning, hopefully I'll hear back from them in a timely manner. I love Motech parts, my bike is clad in them. But this could be a deal breaker if customer service doesn't back up their parts failing.

Edit: forgot to mention they are mounted on speedy lowering blocks.

Last edited by Freerydejunky; 07-20-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You mean these for $148... Wow:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...versys-1000-12

My $22 Ebay steel offroad footpegs from China are pretty darn solid, even on Speedy's Motowerk's lowering blocks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MX-Foot-Pegs...668c59&vxp=mtr
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 09:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerydejunky View Post
While riding home last night from an amazing day of riding in the Blue Ridge mountains my right On/Off Road foot peg from SW Motech sheered straight off!

I was merging onto the freeway, put pressure on the right footpeg and BAM. My foot is bouncing off the ground! I thought "Man I have to take the rubber inserts out, my feet must have slipped off" Glanced down and there was no foot peg!

Luckily I was only 10 minutes from home and propped my leg up on the crash bars. What if this happened 300 miles away from home earlier in the day! Ugh. I understand that parts break. But I am an easy cruising rider, dont take the V off road and weigh 135lbs. There is NO reason that this should happen.

Emailed Twisted Throttle this morning, hopefully I'll hear back from them in a timely manner. I love Motech parts, my bike is clad in them. But this could be a deal breaker if customer service doesn't back up their parts failing.

Just to be clear, what are you left with

The V's flange still on the bike and only the tt bracket broke or shear off OR the V's flange rip off the bike ?

LOP

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Yes, those...
I'm still in a bit of shock that it sheared off!

If I can't get this resolved with Twisted Throttle, I'll be going eBay pegs as well.

Last edited by Freerydejunky; 07-20-2013 at 09:18 AM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

The TT foot peg is gone, it broke around the bolt... . The stock set up and speedy blocks are intact

Last edited by Freerydejunky; 07-20-2013 at 10:54 AM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I use Suzuki DR650 'pegs (originals on the '09, Ebay replacements on the '08), and they work PDG!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I stand up on my OEM pegs. I would think that they would be made to take standing up and hitting hard bumps. I'm thinking that would be a hard lawsuit to prove if you had gone down since the bike would be all wrecked and it would be difficult to prove the peg broke first. That really does suck.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 07:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I stand up on my OEM pegs. I would think that they would be made to take standing up and hitting hard bumps. I'm thinking that would be a hard lawsuit to prove if you had gone down since the bike would be all wrecked and it would be difficult to prove the peg broke first. That really does suck.
I stand on mine quite often as well. I also have Speedys lowering blocks installed. I am not exactly a lightweight either. I push the scales around 280+ and have never had a problem. I was quite timid standing on them when I first started doing it, but have not noticed any flex.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 07:24 PM

Just wondering who installed the pegs, since maybe the bolt was over tightened, which may have cracked the aluminum of the peg. I have exactly the same setup on my bike and I stand up all the time (220).
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
Just wondering who installed the pegs, since maybe the bolt was over tightened, which may have cracked the aluminum of the peg. I have exactly the same setup on my bike and I stand up all the time (220).

You can't over-tighten the bolt as it is a simple circlip that holds it into place. I had my SW-Motech pegs on my Versys for over a year. Plenty of standing, umpteen jumps and landings etc and not a problem.

A pic from the OP would be helpful for all to see just where abouts the peg sheared off.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 05:37 AM

The op has speedy's lowering blocks where the circlip and pin are used, motech supplies a fairly stout bolt and nylock nut, which is how the footpeg is attached to the block. That's what I'm thinking might have been over tightened. Like I said, exactly like my setup.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
The op has speedy's lowering blocks where the circlip and pin are used, motech supplies a fairly stout bolt and nylock nut, which is how the footpeg is attached to the block. That's what I'm thinking might have been over tightened. Like I said, exactly like my setup.

I can't see in my mind how this looks or works. You have height adjustable pegs on some sort of further lowering extension, right ?

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 06:25 AM

Ok, found this and check out post 51.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...owering+blocks

Now without seeing photos of the OP's problem, it would appear that it's not really SW-Motechs pegs that are at fault here if it is similar to what has happened to others before.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 06:45 AM

Good point, Davy F... Footpegs are in fact bolted to Motowerk's lowering blocks as used by Freerydejunky, with a very strong M12 bolt.

•SW-MOTECH On-Road/Off-Road Footpeg mount is CNC-milled from high strength aluminum alloy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack425 View Post
Be sure you don't tighten them too much. After two thousand miles, this happened the other day.

I now have a Yamaha dirt bike peg there. Ha ha.

I'll be ordering pegs this week and will slap the blocks back on!

Last edited by invader; 07-21-2013 at 06:51 AM.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay folks.

The foot peg itself sheared off the Motech 15mm lowering block mounted on the speedy block. The previous owner was well over 6'3" so he needed all the leg room possible.

From what it looks like, the motech pegs are only pressed onto the optional extension block? I find this odd... Even my left side peg seems to only be pressed onto the Motech lowering block. There is no bolt holding it on!? Hopefully I can grab a picture on my lunch break. If not, check back this evening around 6pm.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
You can't over-tighten the bolt as it is a simple circlip that holds it into place. I had my SW-Motech pegs on my Versys for over a year. Plenty of standing, umpteen jumps and landings etc and not a problem.

A pic from the OP would be helpful for all to see just where abouts the peg sheared off.
Here is how my DR 'pegs are attached. As you can see I'm using an SAE 3/8 bolt and lock-nut (compared w/ the stock 12mm bolt), so it's not overly tightened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05965.jpg (60.1 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05966.jpg (57.3 KB, 217 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 07-21-2013 at 02:54 PM.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here is how my DR 'pegs are attached. As you can see I'm using an SAE 3/8 bolt and lock-nut (compared w/ the stock 12mm bolt), so it's not overly tightened.

Ok, this is still not totally clear, but is the peg really only bolted to the underside of the extension block and not sandwiched from both sides ? Hence there is really nothing supporting the lower side of the peg ? If that's what I'm seeing, and that is how the OP's SW peg was fitted, this is very obviously not an actual fault with the peg but a fault with the design of the lowering block not spreading the load on both sides as per oe set-up.

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 07:17 PM

Instructions from Speedy's Motowerk, with good photos:

" ... tighten them at 18 ft-lbs... Do not over-tighten the 'screw' ! "

https://www.motowerk.com/Instructions.html

Last edited by invader; 07-21-2013 at 07:29 PM.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 09:46 PM

Garage
I thought I read a post "awhile back" that mentioned putting a "spacer" nut in the foot peg space so it would not collapse due to over tightening.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Holy cow. Riding home from the store today on the same on ramp look what I found!

I came to a "safe" stop on the ride of the freeway and picked it up off the shoulder. Wonder how many times it got ran over?

It would appear that the peg itself is only being held on by a thin lip on the motech block and a set screw that neither of my pegs have... I wonder how the other one has stayed on this long!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130721_210406.jpg (34.5 KB, 266 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode