Has anyone geared down - 15T front/47T Rear? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone geared down - 14T front/47T Rear?

I see a lot of threads gearing up, I'm thinking of gearing down for a little more snap. My concern is how much wear the rubber chain guide might get with a smaller sprocket, and to make sure the 47T rear would be clear of the chain guard. Thanks!

Edit - Sorry, I meant 14T front. Looking to drop one up front, go up one in the rear.

Last edited by vospertw; 07-18-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Clarifying mistake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 03:59 PM

Seems within the acceptable range to me as far as the driveline components go.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
If you're worried about the chain wearing the plastic guide - why not stay w/ the 15T front, and do ALL the change at the rear? Say a 50T....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
That would definitely make the bike a wheelie monster. It already lofts the front end when accelerating hard off a line.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 04:25 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
If you're worried about the chain wearing the plastic guide - why not stay w/ the 15T front, and do ALL the change at the rear? Say a 50T....
+1 Easier by a long shot! That way if you just touch the gas, bam your into a wheelie!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 06:29 AM

That's nuts. I run a 15x43. I can't imagine stock gearing or, let alone a 47 tooth! Yikes!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

The 15T w/ a 50T gives 3.333 as a gear ratio. The 14T w/ a 47T gives 3.36 which is SLIGHTLY lower geared. Just easier to go to a 50T IMHO....

Wheelie-monster BOTH ways...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

I have only looked at JT but they don't offer anything bigger than a 47, and only in aluminum. Agree that making the changes at the rear sprocket would be easiest, though a 50 might put the chain pretty close to the guard.

I'll take some measurements this weekend and figure out the circumference of a 14T front (14/46) and see what it looks like.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input all. I ended up sticking with stock gearing. I still think the 14T could add some fun, but my stock chain didn't last long (7500 miles) before it started kinking and o-rings started squishing out of the side plates. I thought I would run a high quality chain on stock gearing before making any other changes. Only anecdotal but I always cut the chain off with a rotary tool and the stock chain seemed really soft. I'm pretty sure it's not DID's best product. The counter sprocket showed some mild wear but the rear looked pretty good. I put new JT sprockets on anyway but kept the stock rear as a spare... More because I hate throwing stuff out.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW - on my '08 V (43,000 miles and counting on the ORIGINAL chain...) I replaced the front sprocket at 29,000 miles, and reversed the rear.

That was 14,000 miles ago.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode