Radiator Fan Keeps Shorting - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Radiator Fan Keeps Shorting

Hey guys.

New member here, just wanted to pick your brains, as I can't find info about this anywhere....

My radiator fan keeps shorting out. I've taken the fan and plugged it up to a 12v supply (with no fuse) and it works fine, but when the bike's hot enough for the fan to kick on, it just blows the fuse. Not really a problem unless I have to ride in traffic, but I can't find a short anywhere and it's bugging the heck out of me. Any ideas? All help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Might be in the harness, maybe a chafing wire. I feel your pain, I chase wires for a living & these things can be a real hassle.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

I've removed all the fairings, and gas tank, don't see anything noticeable. No exposed wires, no evidence of anything rubbing. Could having heated grips (not on) and a power outlet (with nothing hooked up to it) have anything to do with it? Looking at the wiring diagram, I don't see that anything else is on that circuit, but I could be wrong.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

It wouldn't hurt to check them, though they shouldn't be drawing power like that. I would disconnect each one at a time & try that to see what happens. Of course, you'll go through a few fuses...

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:28 PM

I can guarantee you this Monkey, its something you did...Just backtrack all the stuff you did...You might have accidentally harponed a wire just installing your farkles...Good luck

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 08:43 AM

I would unplug the harness from the fan switch and then jumper the connector. If the fuse blows, the problem is in the harness someplace. If it doesn't, you have a bad fan switch.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 08:50 PM

My radiator fan problem is slightly different. My Versys is an '09 with 5400 miles. About a month ago I was travelling through an area in Arizona where the highway was being chip sealed. The gooey little rocks were flying, even at the 20-30 MPH speeds the line was moving. On an uphill climb, I saw the water temp light, then shortly after the FI light. I pulled over once we started downhill and didn't notice anything at the time. I was able to drive just fine and went home.
I pulled up the engine code, and it indicated a bad fan relay. After much reading on getting to the difficult to reach relay box, I had an Aha! moment and checked the fan fuse. Sure enough, it was blown. I replaced it and the FI light was gone.
Because fuses don't blow for no reason, I checked out the fan from the side and discovered some of the chip seal rocks had worked their way to the bottom of the blades and had jammed them against the radiator fins. I loosened the mounting bolts and relieved the fan of two rocks. It then turned by hand, and with the application of 12 volts at the connector on the left side. Problem solved, I thought.
Since that time, the water temp light has come on 3 times, always in the heat of the afternoon (100+ degrees) and at slow speeds less than 30 MPH through construction zones. When I stop and check, the fan is never running. Yesterday I used the service manual wiring diagram to find a way to jumper around the ECU and bring in the fan relay. The fan only starts about one time in 10. However, it starts if I lightly start it moving with a nudge. It has a clicking noise.
Today I removed the radiator and fan and there is definitely some dragging in the sealed motor. A quick look at some online OEM houses and I about choked. This little fan is $330+! I got the motor part number and did an internet search but came up empty.
Could it be possible this is covered under the warranty, which is good until February of 2010? I have since installed a Fenda Extenda so that rock tossing is limited, but to me this was caused by a design deficiency. The fender is too short, and the layout allowed rocks to get into the tight space between the fan and radiator.
Or maybe one of the more creative minds on our forum can help me with some workaround. The price of a replacement is just ridiculous. Is someone parting out a Versys for example? Any help is appreciated.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What's the part number that's on the motor?
Kawasaki part number for Versys radiator fan: 59502-0037. Ninja 650R part number is 59502-0019, but they're identical on parts diagram. ($294.65)
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....KawasakiMC.asp
You can get just the motor or complete fan for $24.99 to 74.95 plus shipping:
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Last edited by invader; 10-01-2009 at 11:38 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:41 AM

That is the motor, Invader. The mounting is different, but it is easy to take off with the three screws. Thanks for the lead. I didn't think to look for Ninja parts. I'll be buying it now.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 10:16 AM

My brother had the same problem with a rock stuck inside the fan shroud on his V last month, same thing FI light fault code "fan relay". I had a 1986 Honda Shadow many years ago and the same thing happened to that bike. No fault light in the 80'S and the fan motor failed as well. The bike was under warranty at the time but the local Honda shop said it wasn't covered. The failure was not considered a manufacturing issue so I was SOL.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 06:39 PM

Rock in my shoe, err Radiator

Waking up an old thread to add that the chip seal pirates got me too - in spite of the Evotech radiator shield. I think the stock front fender is just too short and allows small rocks to bounce off the front of the engine and be thrown up into the radiator fan. One stuck and kept the fan from turning, burning it out. The light didn't come on until I got to my driveway.

Jumpered power to the fan connector and no spin - motor's burned out. Guess I'll be searching eBay for a new fan, and also adding a fender extender so this doesn't happen again. Hard to believe a new one is $300, and it doesn't even come in titanium, heh. On the plus side, I had last Friday off, the weather was perfect, and I explored lots of great roads in Santa Ynez Valley and around Vandenberg AFB - certainly a beautiful part of California. The CHP were saturating Gaviota yesterday - I saw four units within six miles, three actively writing speeding tickets. "Know when to hold it, know when to twist it."

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 08:11 PM

Make sure the fan shaft can't move for and aft. It is possible that it is binding when mounted and running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode