Heated Grips - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Heated Grips

Hi All
Has anyone out there installed heated grips wired into the ignition.The instructions on Hot Grips say to connect to battery, I don"t think that's great idea as they are too easy to leave on or some jerk turns it on when you are not expecting.I could fit a master switch to isolate the control but I would like a positive no fail system that turns off with the key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Hi All
Has anyone out there installed heated grips wired into the ignition.The instructions on Hot Grips say to connect to battery, I don"t think that's great idea as they are too easy to leave on or some jerk turns it on when you are not expecting.I could fit a master switch to isolate the control but I would like a positive no fail system that turns off with the key.
I wired mine direct to the battery against the fine recommendations here on this board ...and guess what.....with all of my "disciplines" in place and "I'll never leave them on", THE VERY FIRST TIME, WITHOUT EVEN LEAVING THE GARAGE....IT HAPPENED. So......wire it into a voltage controlled circuit like the tailight and all problems are for naught.........
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 05:58 AM

My bike has Oxford Hotgrips, these say wire to the battery. However the hotgrips do also have an inbuilt voltage sensor thats turns them off if the voltage drops below a threshold, which as far as I can remember is the only grips that do.

If you are concerned about wiring the grips to the battery and leaving 'em on, then consider fitting an auto relay so that the grips only have power when the bike is on.

essentially you...
connect a fused feed from the battery to the relay (Pin 30)
connect pin 85 to chassis ground,
connect pin 86 to sense circuit
connect pin 87 to the grips

the pin numbers refer to a standard circuit.. most realys are 4 or possibly 5 pin.

depending on what you prefer, and where your relay is located the sense circuit could be the tailight or say the (dipped) headlight it doesn't matter, what you want is a circuit that is always on when you need the power to the grips.

For me I chose to add a secondary fusebox under the seat so I peeled back the wiring to the tailight and soldered a splice cable onto the power to the light (not the brake light or ground) to provide the switching power / sense circuit to the relay. took that power to an additional fuse box, and break out the power to any additional devices as required. If all you have is heated grips then you don't need the additional fusebox, you coudl jsut wire from the output of the switched power on the relay (pin 87) straight to the grips. make sure you have an appropriate fuse somewhere in the circuit.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 07:08 AM

If you think you may add other electrical items (you will), consider installing an accessory fuse block now. Tap a switched circuit like the tail light to trip a relay to bring fused power from the battery. Power your heated grips and anything else from the fuse block. I like www.fuzeblocks.com since it's a single unit including the relay and a ground bus. Very slick. If you don't mind doing a bit more wiring there are less spendy alternatives. Try www.easternbeaver.com.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 07:26 AM

I love the Easternbeaver harness I picked up, but you can run them easily off the rear tail light.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 02:58 PM

I always run mine off the horn ... plenty of juice ... the circuit is turned on by the ignition ... and otherwise used sparingly ...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 01:01 PM

Spend the time and the money (under $20) to install a power distribution box and relay with fuse. Advanced autoparts had the box for $10 and the relay for about $5. I have a 12V outlet in the front, one under the seat, 2 taps in the front for future upgrades and I have 2 more for other goodies. You won't regret it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Yes I have the Oxford Hot Grips as well they where very easy to install, have mounted the switch on the steering head as the supplied wiring is a little short in that department.
Have wired into the horn after Freewheeler suggested and works a treat.
Have been for a cruise this afternoon, only complaint is they seem to hot, it is still warm for Autumn so will wait for colder weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode