Frequency of Radiator fan cycling on - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Frequency of Radiator fan cycling on

I'm riding a 2009 V in Tucson, Az. HOT! How often does your radiator fan cycle on when riding in town? Please tell me your experience on your bike in your summer locale. Mine cycles on quite frequently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 11:44 AM

I am in Southern Ontario and mine cycles quite frequently.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
In Cali on hot days when stopped it comes on pretty regular.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 12:43 PM

I think you'd be in a much worse scenario if it WASN'T turning on all the time in Tucson!

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 03:09 PM

Mine never turned on in 100+ degrees riding. Turns out the fan was broken...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Mine comes on whenever the engine temp reaches the temperature that causes the fan switch to activate. If I am riding downtown in traffic, that might occur more often than if I am riding backroads at a moderate speed, and a lot more often than when I am riding 55 out in the boonies.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 12:05 PM

Good topic guys.

I now have over 2,000 miles on my 2013 V and do no remember ever hearing the cooling fan coming on. Had a couple of rides on reasonably hot days and do not remember hearing anything. Is it loud enough to hear??

I used to hear the fans on the KLR 650 but the fan on the Voyageur was really quiet. You had to really listen for it.

I had best get this checked out before I head down into southern Wisconsin next month.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I don't notice it unless I'm stopped (at a traffic light...). Suggest you ride a bit on a hot day, then stop, engine running, for a bit till it comes on, then you'll know.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
I think you'd be in a much worse scenario if it WASN'T turning on all the time in Tucson!
I ride with earplugs and full face helmet. I never heard it until the day I got the radiator flushed and filled and let it idle with my headgear off. It came on every minute or so. I took it back to the shop and they replaced the thermostat but it still will cycle on every couple of minutes. The coolant level seems correct. This particular shop was the worst service I have ever suffered BTW.

Another shop used a heat sensing digital probe and the temps at the radiator and block seem in normal range so I just live with the fan cycling frequently in town.

But my OCD kicks in because I never listened for the fan before the refill and the lousy service and now have it in my head it cycles too often.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 04:07 PM

Sounds normal to me -- but for piece of mind if you had one of those infared tempetature testers , you can get them anywhere and are usefull to have. hit your rad area with the dot and look for the fan to cut in and out at a consistant temp range . Turning on when temp rises and cutting out when temp falls. If the Fan is just cutting in and out all over the place or range then I would say you have a issue...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 06:35 PM

Mine never came on...it was DOA. Both the Versys and KLR now cycle on and off.

Things are so hot here right now I dug out my white RF1000 hoping for any help I can get. I did go fishing yesterday caught 3 trout...they were half cooked!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:49 AM

Fan coming on

Never noticed my fan coming on ever. Used to hear the KLR all the time. Guess I will check to see if it is working?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:57 AM
MTS

Its hot here now too and the fan comes on and off all the time! My car does the same thing! Must be trying to cool the temperature down.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by onewizard; 10-03-2018 at 07:00 PM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Its hot here now too and the fan comes on and off all the time! My car does the same thing! Must be trying to cool the temperature down.
LOL!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 06:54 PM

I live in Ohio and I have never heard my fan turn on. What is the best way to test the fan? Can I jump the wires and bypass the sensor just to see if it works? I commute to and from work which is probably about a half hour ride one way. After I shut off the bike I can really feel the heat coming off the engine. An this in on some mornings that the temperature is 50. But my temperature warning light has never come on. Suggestions anyone?

Dave
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:00 PM

I jumped 12v to the fan leads and when it didn't turn on knew I had a problem. I could tap the fan motor and it'd try and spin but that was all. On the 2nd gen the plug to the fan is on the left side next to the radiator hid behind the plastic radiator cover.

BUT I'd fire up the bike and let it idle first, the fan is very quiet. I't should click on in about 5-10 mins. I don't think it will run at all without the key on so turning the key off and the motor will heat soak and you will feel the heat big time.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 05-10-2014 at 05:35 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstodave View Post
I'm riding a 2009 V in Tucson, Az. HOT! How often does your radiator fan cycle on when riding in town? Please tell me your experience on your bike in your summer locale. Mine cycles on quite frequently.
This is normal. I would switch to a 15W-50 or 20W-50 oil as it will perform better in the heat. Just be aware that you should not use 20W-50 at temperatures below ~50F. The absolute min. start temp in the service manual for 20W-50 is 32F. 10W-40 is the default viscosity recommendation from Kawasaki but not the only recommended viscosity and this will vary by local climate. See the manual for oil vs temp recommendations.

If you let the bike idle the fan will come on after a few minutes as air is not flowing past the engine to cool it. It's normal for it to come on in stop and go traffic or slow riding. If it stays on continuously though your engine may be getting too hot. Not sure, but does the Versys have an over heating idiot light?

Last edited by twowheels; 05-08-2014 at 08:42 PM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 05:27 PM

OK, this morning I decided to change my coolant and clean my air filter. Wow to do this you really have to take half the bike apart! Anyway I found out my fan does work. I drained the coolant and then filled with just water and ran the bike at idle for a while. The fan did kick on after awhile. No wonder I never heard it turn on, it's very quiet. I don't think I would ever hear it while riding the bike but it sure blows a lot of hot air out the right side. Drained the water and added about a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and all is well. I feel better now that I know it kicks on when needed.

I grew up riding dirt bikes and dual sports and compared to the Versys, cleaning the air filters on any of those was a piece of cake. I can't believe the Kawasaki engineers couldn't come up with something better on the Versys.

Dave
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 05:35 PM

Glad your fan works, you are too just don't know it, as they cost $450.00 at the dealer!

The good thing on the Versys, air filter wise, is you don't need to clean it weekly. But it is a PITA to get at.

I had a Buell and we had a saying..."Loud Fans Save Lives" if you ever hear the fan on a XB kick in make sure you have ear plugs handy.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 05-10-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode