Tire Tread Separating - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire Tread Separating

Avon distanzia rear, SM compound. Tread is separating in an odd manner. See picture. I am wondering if this is bad enough to scrap the tire.

09 Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Rather than a 'separation', that looks to me like a cut.

Remember that IF it gets down to the underlying cord (or ALREADY is), you'll probably get a flat which it looks like you CAN'T fix on the side of the road....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
+1

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

Remember that IF it gets down to the underlying cord (or ALREADY is), you'll probably get a flat which it looks like you CAN'T fix on the side of the road....

The "cut" is mirrored on the other side too. I noticed these on other distanzia's I ran on the versys too, but none got this bad. The symmetrical aspect intrigues me. It must be a manufacturing defect?

09 Green
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 10:11 PM

Do you ever run these at reduced tire pressure?

At a tire lecture we were told that a lot of problems with dual purpose tires come when people run them at too low pressure. Especially when they air them down for the dirt (which IIRC the speaker did not advocate for this tire type), and don't get them back to operating pressure before running them at speed.

There was also a lot of information about how much more heat is generated at lower pressures, and about tire damage in general.

A related fact that surprised me was motorcycle tires are rated for only 15 minutes continuous operation at rated speed. Of course when the pressure is lower, the speed they're good for is less.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 11:05 PM

It does not matter what we post up
IF you are thinking separation and tire fault
I recommend you take it back to the dealer you bought it from
and discuss it directly with them.

Ride safe i386
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 AM

Send your complaints directly to Avon too. Maybe they can hook you up with a new tire or a coupon.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 01:03 PM

It looks pretty close to the wear bar anyway. Pitch it!
That Sumo rear might be too soft for the Versys.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Pressures are usually low 30's for street. If I air down, its only to 25 psi for dirt, and I carry a pump for reinflating. I would estimate this is the 4th or 5th rear of this tire I have gone through. Lowest mileage was about 2500. Most about 3300. Previous rears have had identical looking cuts in the tire, but none as deep or that caused a section of the tire to separate like these. I admit I push these tires pretty hard, even in dirt. I am guessing the unusual wear is from the versys application, and amount of performance I expect from these tires.

Tire was purchased online. I mounted and balanced myself. Looks like I will be replacing it this weekend. When I get home, I will check the tire pile for a previous distanzia rear and post up a pic perhaps.

09 Green
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Avon North America publishes a fitment guide for their tires. It does not list the distanzia among them. I doubt they would do much for me. But I will send them a pic and some details of my usage. I will keep you posted.

I wish they made these in the larger capacity bikes in the 160/60 and 120/70 sizes. They make them for the tiger....although I bet they dont handle as well on the street.

09 Green
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 11:45 PM

That could be the tread splice opening - I dropped off an Avon Roadrider at my dealer yesterday with the same problem. I emailed Avon with pictures and that was their diagnoses. As mentioned already, I would contact them and send the pics. They might be willing to help regardless. As long as you are within the recommended rim width, using reasonable pressure, and not exceeding the speed or weight specs for the tire I don't see how they could give you much of a hard time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode