Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Brakes

4K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  ttpete 
#1 · (Edited)
Pardon the pun but what is the proper way to "break" in your brakes? I understand why you want to "bed" your pads but what is the proper way? also, is anyone aware of a brake upgrade kit for the V?

thanks

#5 ·
The only thing you really need to do is set the brakes. That is done simply by pumping the brake lever a few times to make sure the pistons, and therefore the brake pads, are pushed in correctly so the brake pads are "riding" on (lightly touching) the rotors. They will seat themselves naturally but you do want to take it easy on them for the first 50 to 100 miles while they seat in. No stoppies (endos). :)

Haven't looked into the upgrades so afraid I can't help you there.

#6 ·
You might want to look into an aftermarket pad with a higher friction coefficient. They proably won't last as long, though.

I see no need for it, personally. I can just about make the front tire chirp with two fingers.

#7 ·
Since new, I've had some harmonic noise on the front brakes. The pads are in contact with the rotor (so a wushing sound when I've got the front wheel in the air and spin the tire). At speeds above 40mph, this turns to a hum, and doesn't change tone faster or slower. Apply the brakes, and the hum goes away.

I took it to 2 different dealers, thinking it was bearings. They said this noise was normal. I'm still not agreeing with these answers. It's getting louder within the past couple of weeks, and I'm to the point of pulling off the calipers and replacing the pads to see if this changes anything. In my opionion, I shouldn't be hearing this humming at freeway speeds over the road noise and through my full face helmet!

Any thoughts?

#15 ·
I like the suggestion about checking your bolts. I would also pull the pads, apply some antisqueel to them and reinstall. Should help.

#10 ·
FYI. I hope everyone is changing their brake fluid every two years??? Hmmm?

#18 ·
Sure, that's what the manual says. I haven't done it because my brakes feel as strong now as when I bought the bike 2 years ago. I'm waiting until I can begin to feel some sponginess in the lever, otherwise what's the point? (Having said that, I'll probably change the fluid this winter, for somehing to do.:))

#12 ·
I kept the original pads but purchased a set of Stainless steel braided brake lines last winter.

The brakes have a much better feel and stopping power has improved.

I went touring in the mountains last summer with the stock brakes and braking was never an issue but I was bored this winter and decided to get the brakes lines for the V

#16 ·
They should be fine, but it all depends on the rider and conditions. Best bet is to look at your pads and see how thick they are.

Since new, I've had some harmonic noise on the front brakes. The pads are in contact with the rotor (so a wushing sound when I've got the front wheel in the air and spin the tire). At speeds above 40mph, this turns to a hum, and doesn't change tone faster or slower. Apply the brakes, and the hum goes away.
I took it to 2 different dealers, thinking it was bearings. They said this noise was normal. I'm still not agreeing with these answers. It's getting louder within the past couple of weeks, and I'm to the point of pulling off the calipers and replacing the pads to see if this changes anything. In my opionion, I shouldn't be hearing this humming at freeway speeds over the road noise and through my full face helmet!
Any thoughts?
Quite a few on this forum have needed to lube the buttons on the floating rotor. Have you tried that? Is the tire balanced?

#17 ·
Took it to the dealer this week for a new front tire. I told them to go through the brakes while everything was apart. They cleaned and lubed everything up real nice, but no change. If I can find a spot where pads are sold (besides from Kawi through the dealer), that may be my next step.

#20 ·
On the bright side. If you can hear your pads rub over the rest of the cacophony that is Kawasaki assembly, you've likely got a well put together bike!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.