Plug a M/C tire? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Plug a M/C tire?

I picked up a tack today - right in the center of the front tire, in the meaty portion. Now, I realize the official dealership position is no repairs, no way. My bike friends all say to "patch it and ride it". What are your forumer opinions?

And no , "Just wheelie all the time and you'll be okay" isn't a good option!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

crickets chirping - tumbleweed blowing across the road...

Ended up plugging it, plug wouldn't hold air, hole was too big. Went to the dealer and got a new tire. $187! yeeeouch.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 08:30 PM

I have know guys to patch/plug them and ride forever on them.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 09:12 PM

For me I would want a new front. Rear, I have ridden on plugs till the cords showed.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:47 AM

Being a newbie, what's the common mythology/methodology/logic as to what to do post pickup of a nail, tack, etc.?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 12:25 AM

I picked up a nail in my rear wheel. Put a plug in it about a month ago and have had no problems. I will probably still get it patched from the inside before I go any real distance (longest trip has only been about 40km) but it seems to be holding well. I don't think I'd go very far at all though on a front with a plug.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 02:46 AM
Bob

hmm, I was under the impression that bike tires are mostly "tubed" tires, which should mean you could patch the tube and plug the tire and you are A-for-away.

Are you running a tubeless tire that you are concerned about the safety of plugging?

On a tubeless a hole in the middle of the tire shouldn't be a problem to plug, the problem is normally when the plug needs to be put in on a section that flexes alot, i.e. somewhere on the sidewall or on the corner of the contact area. I say that from a motor vehicle point of view though, I realize it could be completely different for bikes.

08' Diablo Black Kawasaki Verys
98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

Work hard, play harder. --Bob
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
hmm, I was under the impression that bike tires are mostly "tubed" tires, which should mean you could patch the tube and plug the tire and you are A-for-away.

Are you running a tubeless tire that you are concerned about the safety of plugging?

On a tubeless a hole in the middle of the tire shouldn't be a problem to plug, the problem is normally when the plug needs to be put in on a section that flexes alot, i.e. somewhere on the sidewall or on the corner of the contact area. I say that from a motor vehicle point of view though, I realize it could be completely different for bikes.
Versys has tubeless radials. Almost all mainstream bike dealerships in the US will not plug an on-road motorcycle tire, period. Too many liability issues.

Dunlop's opinion seems to discourage it.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info....asp?id=13#tip
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 11:26 PM

Plugs

I just plugged my front Distanzia after getting "screwed". I used one of the "mushroom" type plugs that is glued to the inside wall. I feel happy enough that this will be safe. I wouldn't use the basic "snake" plug for a permanent fix, on either tyre.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 03:10 PM

I love this stuff and did a lot of research on it. It is MUCH better than Slime and some others.

http://www.ride-on.com/

Your rides will be smoother and your tires will last several thousand miles longer.

Non-toxic and is made not to break down over a short period of time like Slime does.

It is not cheap, but considering all that it does and gives longer tire life, it's well worth it.

The only bad thing about it is my tires SELDOM need air top offs now. So my new air compressor just sits there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode