safety bypass - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question safety bypass

A post by Dr.DAS in another thread made me think of something. And instead of hijacking his thread I thought I'd start my own.

Few things are more frustrating than a bike that won't start. More often than not the problem can be a faulty safety switch. Our bikes are probably too new to run into much of this right now but it's just a matter of time. There is one in the kickstand and another in the clutch. I'm not enough of an electrical wiz to figure out a bypass technique but I expect there are others here who could do it for us.

So how bout it? Anyone care to step up and help a brother out???

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:49 PM

Bypassing those safety switches is trivial in most cases. All my dual sport bikes (and often street bikes too) have had those bypassed to allow starting without pulling the clutch and/or not to shut off if the side stand moves (think jumping over stuff with a D/S bike, side-stand gets bumped, your engine dies. Not good). How it's done depends on the application. In some cases, all you need is a short piece of copper wire to short the two leads that come to the switch. If it's more robust a setup than that, you cut the wires and connect them so that the circuit is always closed.

As usual, this is not advice I would give you for use on a street bike, it's meant for illustration purposes only. Do not try this at home, professional rider/mechanic under control conditions. Following this advice may lead to serious injury and may be illegal in your jurisdiction.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 10:25 PM

I believe he said that his V turned over but did not start. The safety switches prevent the motor from turning over, so if the motor turns over at all then it isn't a safety switch. Narrow it down first to gas or electric. Pull a plug, ground it to the motor and press the starter button (in neutral of course), does it fire? If so it's fuel, if not...electrical. After we determine this then it will be much easier to give advice.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 03:35 AM

h'mm disconnecting anything labelled 'safety'

good way to provide a way for insurers to weasel out of any claim, or the third parties scumbag of a lawyer to attempt to transfer liability or create doubt in the mind of, say, a jury
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 03:35 PM

There was an older thread on this subject:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ghlight=bypass

I want to be able to disable the kickstand switch. It was a problem on my KLR.

Regards,
Peter

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro"-- I came, I saw, I stuck around.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

safety bypass

There was an older thread on this subject:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ghlight=bypass

I want to be able to disable the kickstand switch. It was a problem on my KLR.

Wow! Very amusing and entertaining thread. Thanks for referring me. I kinda anticipated some advice not to do this bypass thing but I sure wouldn't be willing to get into a lengthy debate over it. FWIW, I've been riding another bike with the safety switches bypassed for the past 5 years or so. Been riding lawn tractors the same way for far longer. But then, I'm a wild and crazy guy!!!

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM

down switch

I noticed in the shop manual that this bike has a vehicle down sensor... basically it shuts off the fuel pump if the bike is laying on it's side.... a good thing if you're in an accident that rips the fuel line open and has you pinned under the bike..... in my younger years I had a honda EFI and laid it down doing a 180 when I hit a patch of spilled diesel fuel, after I picked it up, it wouldn't start and I was wondering WTF!!!! I ended up pushing it to the side of the road and when I turned the key on to try it again, it started... and of course upon reading my manual later, there was a memo about having to turn the key off and on to reset the vehicle down sensor.....lol
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 12:13 PM

I am living proof these things do fail on the Versys. My bike is 6 months old and it started failing intermittently. Took it to the shop and they found nothing wrong. The next morning as soon as I dropped it in gear the engine died. Never worked again. The bike would start in neutral but would not run in gear with the stand up. I made a jumper and bingo the bike runs. Easy fix. My local dealer ordered me a new switch under warranty and I will hang onto it for the future.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
h'mm disconnecting anything labelled 'safety'

good way to provide a way for insurers to weasel out of any claim, or the third parties scumbag of a lawyer to attempt to transfer liability or create doubt in the mind of, say, a jury
That kind of borders on paranoia. If I worried about absolutely unlikely "stuff" like that, I'd be spending my life hiding under the bedclothes in a fetal position sucking my thumb. It pales compared to living near Detroit, riding in insane heavy traffic and choosing to go about my business while armed. Life's too short to worry about little things that are only remotely possible.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
That kind of borders on paranoia. If I worried about absolutely unlikely "stuff" like that, I'd be spending my life hiding under the bedclothes in a fetal position sucking my thumb. It pales compared to living near Detroit, riding in insane heavy traffic and choosing to go about my business while armed. Life's too short to worry about little things that are only remotely possible.
Agreed! Don't let the lawyers and lawsuit nuts keep you from using your common sense. I haven't bypassed the safeties on this bike yet but I'm sure I will at some point.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode