Flat tire - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Flat tire

Hi guys,

Got my first flat on the back tire (tire that came with the bike), about 6K miles. I can see the little sucker, slice like hole. I've never patched a tire myself, and don't have the gear to do it, but what would you recommend to get it fixed? I can't see driving it 35 miles to the dealer after "I" patch it.

Is there some kind of service where someone will come out and fix it up, like AAA?

Thanks,
Axel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 06:51 PM

I plugged my wifes Subaru tire with a Dynaplug.. Bought from Amazon.com

http://www.dynaplug.com/products.html

http://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-1007-Tubeless-Tire-Repair/dp/B000EXSER4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372636134&sr=8-1&keywords=dynaplug
I personally would only ride a plugged tire on the bike long enough for a trip home. Not worth the risk to me. Many others ride the tires bald on a plug with no problems.

I will say the Dynaplug is easy and has worked 100% on my wifes car! Have since bought a set for each vehicle and the tools needed to remove the nails/screws/bolts etc..

Oh, many shops these days both car and bike will not plug or patch a tire anymore due to liability of the repair.

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 06-30-2013 at 06:53 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

thx

Maybe I can get the guys around the corner at the Shell station where I get my sticker to patch it up for me (and at the house vs. walking it on a flat over there), then I guess it's tow and new tire time?

I'll call the dealer this week as well.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Axel

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 11:09 PM

Garage
Mate of mine plugged his tyre on his VFR750 months ago and is still riding on the tyre. He used a car / tubeless plug.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Just plug it. I just put on new PR3's awhile back got a nail in the rear with less than a hundred miles on the tire. Plugged it and now have 2000 miles on it..... http://www.stopngo.com/categories/Tire-Pluggers/

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

Last edited by weljo2001; 06-30-2013 at 11:25 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 01:57 PM
GDI

If you've got 6k miles on the original, it's probably about worn out anyway. Why don't you just pull the wheel off and take it to the dealer to have a new tire mounted? Otherwise, you might want to consider buying a tire off the internet and mounting it yourself? That's what I've been doing, and it's worked out well for me. I realize not everyone has the time nor the inclination, to try that though. . . .

You've got some options!

GDI
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Just plug it. I just put on new PR3's awhile back got a nail in the rear with less than a hundred miles on the tire. Plugged it and now have 2000 miles on it..... http://www.stopngo.com/categories/Tire-Pluggers/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OibiaKUpRg
I remember using this system 40 years ago when i was an apprentice. In that day they were a permanent repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
flat tire, tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode