Only 600km and she won't start. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Only 600km and she won't start.

Went to a friends house today and everything was fine...until I went to go home and my new 09 V won't start. Turns over fine, fuses are fine and I even disconnected the battery for a couple of mins and she still won't start. Any suggestions before I take it back to the stealer. I have the battery on the Tender for the night hopefully thats all it is. Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:56 PM

I know the kickstand is triggered to kill the engine when the kick stand goes down when in gear. I wonder if this is causing your problem in some way.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Ya I thought of that also. Tried with kick stand up and clutch in to. Wounder if there is an easy way to bypass the kick stand with a jumper. Might have to look a little closer.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 11:20 PM

Here are some pointers:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tec...art/index.html

Curious about your fuel or spark.

I wonder too what your battery voltage was with the key out. Hopefully at least 12.5 volts.

In any case, although it's a bummer, somehow it will get figured out and this problem will be just a faint memory in your many days ahead of riding.

Let us know what is found.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 11:41 PM

Definate bummer. I'm with the other guys on the kick stand switch. Don't muck with it. Get it back to the dealer.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Is the kill switch still at the 'ON' position? Does the 'FI indicator remain lit when you turn ignition on?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 05:58 AM

You say it "turns over fine", but that won't be the case if you try to start it in gear with the kickstand down or with the kill switch off: you won't hear anything when you press the starter in either of those situations. More description of the problem would help. It's a new bike (and presumably a new battery, unless your guy really is a "stealer"): it should run like a top.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Does it have gas?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. Have fuel, battery is fully charged, no FI light, fuses including main are all okay, gas is almost full. Haven't checked the spark. I do smell a little fuel so maybe a solenoid or something. Well back to the dealer tomorrow as I'm not into tinkering too much as it still brand new. Cheers and I will post what the findings are.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Well dealer called today said the bike was running and they could'nt figure out why it wouldnt start in the first place. No errors or anything, plugs and all where fine along with test drive. 20km into my drive home I started to loose power. I pulled the clutch and gave her gas and it just bogged and let out a small muffled pop and continued to lose power all the way to a stall. I'm starting to think its my fuel. I switched to Premium just for the fun of it and I think it could be contaminated. It honestly felt like it was starving for fuel like I was running out, no sputtering but gradual power lose. Could be related issues as BugR. Dealer is picking it up in the AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode