Fuel Removal - Best way - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fuel Removal - Best way

So i'm dusting off the versys for summer use, had it stored for 3 months. Yes I did all the proper care, oil changes, full checkup, everything. However I forgot to add fuel stabilizer into the last 2 gallons of gas in the tank. I didn't remember this until I saw the can I bought unopened in my toolbox (doh). My question is, whats the best way to remove the bad gas, a fuel siphoning kit, or is there an easy way to remove using fuel lines? This is my first new bike and am not used to an engine without carbs and petcocks. I have the PDF manual, but couldn't find a decent description of how to remove fuel. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 04:59 AM

I don't know what others think but I don't consider 3 month old gas to be bad gas. If it was me, I'd fill the rest of the tank with a jerry can and just run that old gas through the bike. Otherwise siphon the gas out with a soft plastic tube. It's pretty hard to get it all out though and removing the tank and inverting it to try and pour the gas out doesn't work (I tried last year).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Yeah 3 months won't be a problem, especially if stored in a cold/cool spot. Premium gas stays good longer... Syphoning it out is the only way mentioned in repair manual. I suppose there'd be a way to feed 12 volts to the fuel pump plug-in and let it pump it out.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 06:58 AM

I agree with Mt Vesuvius.
Ted.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 10:55 AM

I agree with Mt. Vesuvius too, and I might throw in a few ounces of Seafoam if I were really worried about the injectors getting gummed up.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 11:22 AM

Ditto

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode