Temp light came on yesterday... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Temp light came on yesterday...

I'd gotten off the interstate and was stuck in stop and go traffic (mainly stopped) for about 10-15 mins the outside temps were close to 90. When I turned the corner and started to pick up speed the light came on. It turned back off in about 30 seconds I guess and didn't come back on the rest of the day. I'd thought the fan would have kicked in but I never heard it.

Other than checking the fan, sensor and wiring can anyone think of other things I should check?

I cleaned the air filter before the trip, what a PITA, but I don't think I did anything there that would hurt the cooling system.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 06-22-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 09:40 AM

I've had gravel jammed between the fan and rad, which caused the temp light to come on. Make sure the fan can turn freely, that's where I'd start. Curiously, the fan fuse didn't blow even though the fan was stuck.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 11:54 AM

Garage
My new to me Versys did something similar. There is a connector for the fan wiring on the left-hand side just behind the radiator. I applied 12V to mine and the fan worked, but I thought, poorly. My fan fuse was also blown.

I suspect that mine suffered the same fate as Mt. Vesuvius's. I bought a replacement fan from a Ninja 650R on the Electronic Bay, it was only twenty-odd dollars. it has four mounting points instead of my Versys's three, but a hacksaw fixed that in one minute. It is noticeably heavier than the versys fan, and maybe a smidge deeper, but there were no interference problems and the fan performance seems much stronger. $25 and 20 mins

Good luck,
Rob

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 12:11 PM
MTS

Time, I think the fan should come on!

So yah what's up with that? Fuse?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 12:16 PM
MTS

Time, I think the fan should come on!

So yah what's up with that? Fuse?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Just got in from running around and the Air Show in Dayton...sadly a plane crashed killing both the pilot and wingwalker.

http://www.whiotv.com/news/news/loca...ir-show/nYSBY/

Anyway I checked the the fan turns freely. I'll dig deeper tonight or tomorrow. Silly me didn't even check the fuse yesterday And I rode the KLR so the keys to the Versys were in to house, can't pulled the seat without them.

I"ll post more as I find out.

2012 650 Versys
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Just got in from running around and the Air Show in Dayton...sadly a plane crashed killing both the pilot and wingwalker.
Sad indeed but the danger of a death defying act is what brings people to these types of events. May they rest in peace.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

OK I checked the fuse and it's good. I then jumper the fan to 12v & Ground and D.O.A. nothing, nada. I'll pull it tomorrow and be sure but looks like I need to Fleabay a fan. I don't think I ever heard this one run.

What year Ninja do I need for a 2012 Versys as Kawasaki seem to think these fans and solid GOLD.

2012 650 Versys
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 04:39 PM
MTS

Think you are right but, check that fan over before you throw away. Some of the guys say stuff get caught up in them or broken wire! Just in case!

Good luck Time!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 05:08 PM

I would definitely double check the fan!! I topped of my coolent last week and am pretty thankful I did with the hot weather here in CO.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
OK I checked the fuse and it's good. I then jumper the fan to 12v & Ground and D.O.A. nothing, nada. I'll pull it tomorrow and be sure but looks like I need to Fleabay a fan. I don't think I ever heard this one run.

What year Ninja do I need for a 2012 Versys as Kawasaki seem to think these fans and solid GOLD.
last resort strip the insulation before the connector, it is possible to have a crimp on insulation, so it would show open circuit ,try your jumper agaain,.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 05:37 PM

Link back to another fan thread: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=3371

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Anyone know If I can use a 07 Ninja 650 fan if I cut off one of the "Legs"

I checked mine this morning and it's a "Open" circuit with my multi meter. I check at the back of the motor not the wires so I'm sure it's "Trash Can Fodder"

Kawasaki wants over $400.00 for a Versys fan...they must think they are BMW! Anyway No Versys fans on Fleabay BUT there are a few Ninja fan cheap.

2012 650 Versys
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
The fan you want will be for a ninja 650R .......http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-200...f4978d&vxp=mtr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
The fan you want will be for a ninja 650R .......http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-200...f4978d&vxp=mtr

For Validation....Check Post # 8. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...&highlight=fan

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I found one and ordered it should be here by weeks end.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode