Strange "beeeeep" from tank - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Strange "beeeeep" from tank

Hi, I'm new in the forum and I am a new Versys owner...
I'm hearing a strange noise from the fuel tank, it's some kind of whistle, or maybe it seems an electronic alert, it's a "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" noise.
When I power on my bike, it takes 1 minute or 2 to start, but then it does not end, and it's really really annoying at low rpms.
There is no gasoline smell and I already tried to open the fuel cap. The "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" is still there....
Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 04:21 PM

fuel pump. normal.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

So.... is there no solution? This noise is a nightmare and in the first week there wasn't...
I have a friend with 2008 Versys and its model does not beeeeps form tank...

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Does it still beep while running with the fuel cap open?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mine did it when new, but it doesn't do it any more....

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:11 AM

I hear that for a mile or two but seems to go away.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 02:59 AM

Mine makes a loud whistle when the tank gets in the sun. It is the expansion air pressure blowing through the tank filler cap vent. It stops if you open the cap.
Ted.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Does it still beep while running with the fuel cap open?
Yes!!!!!
It's no a whistle for the tank overheating, the "beeeeeeeeeeee" came a few seconds after I've powered on my bike, even if the cap is open........
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:47 PM

Like red said, its just the fuel pump...Go for an aftermarket exhaust & you'll most likely not ever hear the beeeep again :-)
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 04:52 AM

I guess you dont wear earplugs then?
Ted.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 12:41 PM

Yeah, I noticed that beeeep as I drove mine off the showroom floor last week. Glad you brought it up here.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
This noise is a nightmare ..
It's just the normal sound of the fuel pump doing its job. Nightmare?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
When I power on my bike, it takes 1 minute or 2 to start, but then it does not end, and it's really really annoying at low rpms.
It should be heard as soon as the engine is started. Is it coming from the bottom of the fuel tank, where the pump is?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It should be heard as soon as the engine is started. Is it coming from the bottom of the fuel tank, where the pump is?
Yes, exactly.
But my answer is: if it is normal, is there a hope that is going to stop?
"Bear on a bicycle" said that his bike did it when new, so how long does it take to give up? Maybe at 1000 km maintenance?
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Yes, exactly.
But my answer is: if it is normal, is there a hope that is going to stop?
"Bear on a bicycle" said that his bike did it when new, so how long does it take to give up? Maybe at 1000 km maintenance?
It is more than likely not going to go away. You will get used to it, or it will disappear into the background once you start worrying about other noises. It is very common to hear the fuel pump on fuel injected motorcycles. There is not much you can do about it, it is not a maintenance issue, but you might notice it less with a full tank.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
It is more than likely not going to go away. You will get used to it, or it will disappear into the background once you start worrying about other noises. It is very common to hear the fuel pump on fuel injected motorcycles. There is not much you can do about it, it is not a maintenance issue, but you might notice it less with a full tank.
argh.... ok, I'll try with the full tank... and I hope I can get used to it (but it's very annoying)....

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 01:04 PM

I don't know about anybody else around here but if I am comprehending this problem corectly then nobody has steered this guy in any direction.

IMO he is doing a poor job of describing his problem. I doubt it is a "beeeeeeeeep" or "beeeeeeeeeee". I think english may not be his primary language. (he is describing a quack but I'm not seeing a duck)

no way is this noise from a fuel pump unless something is malfunctioning. The bike will not run at all without a functioning fuel injection system.

What I think he has going is the elusive "buzz" from the cowling that he associates with his tank. He said it doesn't start untill the bike is running for a minute or two and then doesn't go away.

There are normal start-up sounds that go away seconds after the ignition is turned to on and before the start button is pushed. One of those sounds is the fuel pump pressurizing.

So , untamed should read the thread on the cowl buzz and see it that is really his problem.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 01:20 PM

No, it is in fact a "beeeep". It doesn't stop, it is constant. Very high pitched.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 01:21 PM

I think english may not be his primary language.
Bit of a stretch, that. I also have a whistle from my bike. Thought about bringing it up here on the forum, since I hadn't read anything else about it here. Mine comes straight from the gas cap, so I have assumed that it is some kind of de-pressurizing mechanism of the cap. Seems to come from the keyhole of the cap. It is intermittant, though, not continuous.

Strangely, it did it yesterday out in the garage. I had moved the bike around a bit, but didn't start it--haven't ridden in almost a week. The sound dies out in the end much as a tea kettle might, hence my deduction about vapor pressure equalizing. Could it be anything else? The temp outside never got above 45 F, either.

I have the buzz in the cowling, and the two noises are quite distinct. Since I've assumed the whistle is benign (and intermittant), I'm kind of fond of it--like she's singing. The cowling buzz, on the other hand . . . it goes away once I've gotten to speed, but it is annoying. Eventually I may overcome laziness enough to do something about it.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 04:26 PM

I also have a whistle from my bike. Thought about bringing it up here on the forum, since I hadn't read anything else about it here. Mine comes straight from the gas cap, so I have assumed that it is some kind of de-pressurizing mechanism of the cap. Seems to come from the keyhole of the cap. It is intermittant, though, not continuous.

Had a similar thing on a Triumph Trophy. The gas tank vent has a tip over valve that was gummed up allowing pressure to build to where it escaped from the gas cap. Eventuaully this valve became so gummed up that it didn't allow the tank to vent as gas was being consumed. Caused a sputtering,stalling problem while under way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode