odd cloudly spot has appeared in oil level window - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
odd cloudly spot has appeared in oil level window

I just changed the oil and this odd cloudly spot has appeared in oil level window

2008 Versys - after I changed the oil I idled thru the enrichment cycle and drove 1/2 a mile slowly and this cloudy spot appeared. It did not appear after the first oil change.

This is the 2nd oil change for my Versys and this time I used the Kawasaki brand 10-40 synthetic and Kawaski brand filter from the dealer (first oil change used 10-40 standard oil). Bike has 1600 miles - did first oil change at 600 miles, and it has been 4 1/2 months since that first change.

Looks like I could add a little oil - I put in 2 full quarts and that photo is the bike at level and cold (at warm the level is higher but below the top line) - I took out more than 2 quarts of the prior oil.

Any thoughts? Anyone seen this before? Looks to me to me just a little minor water spot that is harmless......maybe due to the mix of synthetic and non-synthetic oils?.......I hope........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 03:40 PM

2 things:

A. It appears to be condensation. Sometimes it fixes itself with a long hot ride. Other times you will need to change the oil WHILE IT IS VERY HOT, or you can add SEAFOAM to the crankcase oil. You can buy SEAFOAM at any autoparts store. It's really awesome and I've used it for years in many different applications.

B. As you stated, you changed to SYN oil. Occasionally, I have seen strange reactions between mineral based oils and SYN when they are mixed. However, it's very rare, and usually only happens with high-mileage bikes. I'm guessing your issue is condensation. Best of luck!

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 04:23 PM

Looks like the motor's about to go!

Kidding

Condensation. Mine has it pretty much all the time.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

oh no, I blew the motor!!

Thanks for the input might try that SEAFOAM

--- that GIVI tall wind screen is great, eh? Got mine for winter and thinking about just leave it on for summer like it for the hwy too ..........
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Your oil level is ok, but you could add a small gulp or two... That is just condensation that will disappear with a longer ride. No need to add Seafoam or anything to your synthetic oil.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 06:29 PM

i have had that on my versys too, to me it looks like a chunk of white grease on my bike in my oil level window i asked my mechanic about and he didn,t know what it was either
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:18 AM

I get this if I start the bike in the dead of winter and do not let it warm enough (a bad thing to do for the oil, better to ride it for 30 min or not start it at all). It should go away once the bike/temps outside warm up.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 09:38 AM

You might also check your airbox drain just to make sure it's empty - especially if you've ever ridden in rain or through standing water. I had a touch of cloudiness in my oil window when I was re-vamping my bike. Found out the tarp I covered the bike with wasn't 100% water proof and got a bit of water in the airbox. I drained the box and went for a 30 mile ride to get everything good and hot. Clouds went away and haven't been back since.

Corey
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 10:06 AM

There was a previous post on this. Mine did the same thing after the first oil change - went away after a good ride. Based on the input from the previous post, it appears to be a fairly common issue, but nothing to worry about...just a little condensation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode