Fork work - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fork work

I'm working on getting the R1 shock working but....

I honestly think the forks are the place to start. They really feel loose and just too soft.
The race tech site said .91 or closest spring. Im 185 with no gear. Since race tech springs run soft so I went with the .95's. stock is .78ish and I think a 7-10wt oil.

We pulled the forks and put new seals in while we had them open. We found that the right fork tube internal rod was off center. The new spring is slightly bigger outside diameter and would not slide all the way down because of the off center rod. We had already swapped the left spring and the oil in both forks so I put the stock spring back in the right tube. We went with a 15wt maxima oil to help give some damping against the heavier spring.
So with now I have a .95 in the left tube and a .78 in the right with maxima 15wt blend in both. The change is remarkable already. The nose dive is significantly less and the forks feel planted. I will eventually pull the right fork and find out what is causing the problem with the off center rod. For now though I think this is a bus step in the right direction.
The shock with be to the suspension guy tomorrow and I asked him to do it when he had time. I reckon a week or 2. I will follow up with the results ASAP.

If you are thinking about suspension the forks are the place to start IMHO. Not harsh or stiff. They just plain work better now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 07:45 PM

Race-tech's specs on Versys suspensions seems a little off to me.
Just one guys totally anecdotal opinion.
I assumed it's because they have experience setting up race bikes, and think that a Versys should have 25mm of sag on either end. Maybe the 95-78 is the sweet spot?
R1 Shock? Don't get me started!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Race-tech's specs on Versys suspensions seems a little off to me.
Just one guys totally anecdotal opinion.
I assumed it's because they have experience setting up race bikes, and think that a Versys should have 25mm of sag on either end. Maybe the 95-78 is the sweet spot?
R1 Shock? Don't get me started!
We'll see about the shock. Right now I'm pretty happy with the front end. A huge improvement over stock. I've been on and raced many bikes. All having at least Traxxion 25mm cartridges and penske shock. Ran elka and ohlins too.
Had plenty of seat time testing and adjusting. It all changes when you ride street. Need to be comfortable and if you like performance that needs to be there too. So far I'm pretty happy with forks and will see how the rear comes along.

Last edited by JeremyAZ; 06-13-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode