Vibration between 2500-3000 RPM? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Vibration between 2500-3000 RPM?

Just purchased a new 09 Versys. My last bike was a 2000 Suzuki bandit inline 4 cylinder which I owned for eight years. Just a quick question, I've never ridden a twin cylinder engine like the Versys, but I understand that they are supposed to be pretty smooth. I notice that it's a little rough between 2500-3000 rpm, then smooth as silk from 3000 up. Also, how the hell do you keep it under 4000 during break in, virtually impossible. Is this typical for the engine? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 06:51 PM

try not to be so heavy on the throttle below 3000.

You are basically lugging the motor below 3000.

Above 3000 rip it.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:57 PM

keeping it under 4000 for the first 500 miles is very hard.

It will go 55 on the highway in 6th gear right around 4000 rpm.

I followed break in proceedure in the owners manual now it is fair game.

I have no problem behaving when I'm out alone. When I'm with my buds I turn into a freaking 20 year old.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Copy, thanks for the information, just a new paranoid owner. Just can't get past the recommendation to keep it under 4K??? That gives me a split second between gear shifts! I looked at a couple of dynos of the engine and it appears that torque comes up over 3K. My bandit really came alive over 6K and I bumped the rev limiter daily.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:17 PM

Just use the break-in period for play around time. I took mine on a little road trip on twisty roads and city traffic for about 300 miles. Now I'm just using it for little trips around town, running it through all the gears and gradually getting used to the bike. Around here the streets are still covered in loose sand and gravel from the winter so it's easy to ride cautiously and stay under 4000 RPM.

I, too, have noticed the vibration and lugging at low RPM. It's the nature of the bike. Parallel twins have their rough spots. I know it's a little irritating to speed up, slow down and vary the RPM during break-in but it's gotta be done. It's a matter of just stacking up the miles. Riding around the neighborhood, taking corners and switching gears on a brand new Versys isn't all that bad.

It sounds to me like you're being too heavy on the throttle if you say it's a split second between gear shifts to get to 4000 RPM. You have to run it at all RPMs during break-in, not just 4000. Take it easy. The scenery doesn't have to be a blur as you go by.

Last edited by charly; 04-06-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:23 PM

Or if it's more convenient, you could break it in using this method: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 PM

Parallel twin motors have some vibration, kind of like a single does, only not as bad.

The Versys is probably as smooth as any parallel twin I have ever ridden, but there are some vibes.

Mine does the same as yours, around 3000 it feels a little like a big single, but the shakes go away, quickly and then is smooth on up to the top.

Ride a KLR, and you will quickly see the difference. The Versys is not as smooth as a Wee Strom or any inline four, but for me, the vibes are not bothersome at all.

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
Old 04-06-2009, 08:59 PM

A big single like a KLR, though, has consistent vibration. When I first rode my Versys and hit that vibration around 3K, I thought, "What the heck? Did something fall off the bike?" I was reminded of the posts here talking about how poorly dealers assemble motorcycles.

You get used to the vibes after awhile.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:12 AM

I have an '07 Triumph Bonneville (for the moment) and it is a parallel twin. I never, EVER ride at 3000rpm or below. There is no power at all down there and it chugs, lugs and generally protests with engine noises I don't wish to hear. The peak hp and torque numbers are pretty similar to the Versys, but the powerband is basically nothing below 3000rpm and wheezing paint shaker at or above 6500rpm. Not kidding. I find myself watching the tach more than the speedometer. I know the Versys has a more useful and broader powerband, that's just one reason I plan on making the switch. The Bonnie is a cool bike and it gets lot's of looks and interest, especially the way I have it set up, but I only have room and budget for one bike and the Versys is in my future. All that to say, there are p twins that are worse in the vibe dept. Don't get me started on the Yamaha 650 I rode in the eighties...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in