Electic bike for the masses? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Electric bike for the masses?

This is somewhat interesting...
http://www.enertiabike.com/content/blogsection/2/34/

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.

Last edited by Bear on a bicycle; 04-03-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 11:46 PM

I like the idea. I'm super excited to see if they will be making this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUXhJZZRUIg

Reminds me of Akira and brings me back to my childhood.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 12:08 AM

So far these things are a joke. 50 mph top speed. 35-45 mile range. 33 inch seat height. I am an old man but give me a 250 cc scooter first.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 12:22 AM

They will get better it is just a mater of time. It is still early into battery development for these bikes. 50 mph and 35-45 mile range would get me to work and back.

Last edited by TAC650; 04-04-2009 at 12:25 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 AM

If you don't get run over first. Are you going to trade in your Versys for one? Or are you going to put your life savings into this company? So far these are just hype and nothing more. Let's be serious, green is good and so is saving money but did you notice that no mention was made of availability or price? Thats because they cost twice as much, so where is the savings; not to mention the fun?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC650 View Post
They will get better it is just a mater of time. It is still early into battery development for these bikes. 50 mph and 35-45 mile range would get me to work and back.
I don't think the battery bike is neccesarily a feasabile option with current battery technology. What might be is a Hydrogen Fuel cell bike.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4353853.stm
this has been doing the rounds for several years, although it hasn't come to market. undoubtedly the main problem is going to be the supply network for Hydrogen. I can also see the politicians reacting in fear att eh idea of a Hydrogen powered bike
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 05:36 AM

These guys are a bit out of left field.. based on a custom made MTB frame and
internal G/Box "like a mountain bike on steroids" as they say.
http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com.au/
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:46 AM

I'll divorce my V for something like this:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ne...ike/index.html

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
In today's technocracy world, consumers have very little to say and it all about economic.
Battery technology is fast gaining ground and its a matter of time before these are in the market.

Just go back a few year and how big was Motorola Hand phone, and compare that with today hand phones.
Its the big Oil companies that holding these development back. Given a time frame when we run into serious problem then its all going to be battery or Hydrogen powered.
Just my 2cts thoughts
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
So far these things are a joke. 50 mph top speed. 35-45 mile range. 33 inch seat height. I am an old man but give me a 250 cc scooter first.
Depends on where you live. Here in texas I would not even think about it but there are many parts of the world where 50 mph is fast and 35 miles is far.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 11:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
The Empulse on the first link is 100 mph and up to 100 mile range

The 60 mile range version is under $10k and "Since the Empulse is a 100% electric vehicle, customers are eligible for government tax incentives at the State and Federal level, including a 10% Federal income tax credit. "

I like the other riders comparison to cell phones - they will only get better over time.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 12:14 PM

These guys have been at it for a while now, and are selling commercially here in Canader... i don't now about the US... but you guys always get the cool bikes after us!

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s-specs.php

And a video... MotorcycleUSA ZERO Test Ride

I like the idea of stepping away from dyno fuel, and there is a new generation of Lithium Ion batter MIT is working on that recharges in a fraction of the time conventional batteries do, and that leap forward will make alternatives a reality.

I think these guys are really on to something as well. http://www.betterplace.com/ They make car ownership and battery ownership a separate issue, and have refueling stations that swap the batteries for a fully charged unit in just over a minute. They have joined with Renault who have invested a billion into making a fleet of new, conventional looking vehicles to work with this technology... and it's coming to market now.

The genius of Better Place is that it separates car and battery ownership. You buy the car, then rent the bateries on a cell phone like contract based on mileage and use. For heavy consumers like taxis, some municipal vehicles, and even those who use their vehicle a lot, the car can be had for free if an extensive enough battery contract is needed... much like your cell phone today. You can charge the car conventionally at home or on long trips, pull into a switch station and get a new battery.

Here is a video of their idea in action. It's pretty slick.

I used to think Hydrogen was the bees knees, but the logistics of it are difficult to overcome, and seeing as how the plans are to produce it using fossil fuels as it's base, just puts me off the whole idea. Electricity just makes more sense.

There is a company in the UK who are designing rechargable batteries that are so durable, maleable and flexible that they can be constructed into whatever needs their energy. In other words, the body of your cell phone might be it's rechargable energy source in the near future, and this can be applied to much larger things as well.

I am looking forward to when they make roofing shingles a connectible solar device that feeds the grid.

Exciting stuff.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

Last edited by Red Herring; 08-29-2010 at 12:19 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 01:43 PM

solar shingles they are a reality now.

http://news.dow.com/dow_news/manufac.../20100203a.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode