Stalling? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stalling?

Guys,

Anyone else having problems with the Versys stalling?

Several times now my bike has stalled after I let it warm up and start idling at the normal slow speed. It always seems to happen when I've speed up, shifted into second and then pulled the clutch in and slowed down.

The last time it happened was yesterday on my way home from work. The weather was perfect, sunny and in the upper 80's here in South Texas. The bike warmed up normally, I took off from a stop in first, shifted to second then braked and entered a long left turn. She died and while I tried to hit the starter button I must have popped the clutch, the rear locked up and I went down.

I was wearing my gear and am more embarrassed than hurt. Bunged up my left knee a little. I'm really glad I was wearing good boots, as the bike trapped my foot under her. The bike will live to run again, after the shop sorts out the shifter, replaces the left foot pet. The cosmetics will have to wait, but just looking at the scuffed up plastic on the left will remind me to WATCH WHAT YOUR DOING STUPID!

I must say, my wife is being a princess about the whole thing. Her only comment so far has been, ďDonít bother to fix the paint, youíll probably scratch it again anyway!Ē Ya gotta love that!

Ride safe.

Monte
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 07:27 PM

Maybe have the shop adjust your clutch while it's in there. Or you can.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 07:32 PM

Mine did that once as i test rode it and came to a stop sign. All we did was set the idle speed up a little as it was low and never had the problem again in 600 miles. You did learn a lessen on not to pop the clutch again while in a turn especially. I can fully understand how that happened and why you are disapointed. Hope the dealer sorts it out and is not a comon problem from what i understand. Does leave a bad taste on a new bike. Hope all goes better and keep us informed on what they think the problem was and if it is resolved.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Low Idle

Deano,

I do think the idle was set too low.

I'll definately have the shop look at that.

Chicken Little,

The clutch seemed good. you just can't pop it while your doing 10 MPH leaning into a turn!

Monte
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 08:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
Mine's done it once or twice, my SV used to do it sometimes too. Generally when running in relatively high RPM and then shutting the throttle down suddenly... It's almost as if the revs drop too much too fast and it doesn't quite stop dropping when it gets to idle speed...

~
FookStar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Kawasaki Versys (in green!)
Queensland, Australia
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 09:02 PM

mine has done this in high elevation... so my guess, like a few others have said is the idle was too low. When your up high there just is not enough oxygen for a low idle speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Idle speed is easy to adjust. It should be set to 1300 rpm. Throttle bodies vacuum may need to be balanced, which is checked at 1300 rpm idle. Mine was just slightly off. Since adjustment, it idles more smoothly and steadily, with a nice equal thump emited from both cylinders at idle...

Last edited by invader; 04-03-2009 at 12:41 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 07:18 AM

So sorry to hear about this.

Please make sure that dealer does a torture test on your bike after they figure out what to do to be sure the cause is fixed. Having a bike stall in most areas allows you to pull over out of traffic, but as you know, there are a lot of areas that you can't pull over and that is DANGEROUS. Don't tolerate a bike that stalls. You are way too important.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 01:06 PM

Same thing happened on my prior S2R1k. Gasahol + low idle speed would result in a stalled engine when rolling off throttle at stops. Set the idle to the upper limit and no more issues.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Good To Know

demuire, your scenario is exactly what Iíve seen.

invader, I canít believe that my idle has been anywhere near 1300 rpm.

atgatt, the dealerís mechanic and I will have a good session and discussion about this before I accept the bike as ďrepaired.Ē

Thank you all for your validation and kink thoughts.

Iíll keep the site posted with updates on repairs and eventual cosmetic restructuring!

Monte
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHansen105 View Post
invader, I canít believe that my idle has been anywhere near 1300 rpm.

atgatt, the dealerís mechanic and I will have a good session and discussion about this before I accept the bike as ďrepaired.Ē
Idle adjustment knob is down on the right by your throttle bodies. If your dealer must take care of it for you, have him also adjust the throttle cable slack, clutch cable slack, rear brake pedal height/brake light switch...

Last edited by invader; 04-04-2009 at 12:41 AM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 12:33 AM

If the dealer gave you the bike improperly set up, he might make good with repairs to the body as well? No harm in asking. Glad you are OK.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 07:43 AM

Hey guys, I know you've heard me harp on this before but.....I've had my idle set as low as 1000 rpm at times, just to see and feel the differences....and I've never had a stalling problem. I feel STRONGLY that the issue may have more to do with ETHANOL than anything else {like a prior poster stated}. The alcohol content of E-10 varies greatly from station to station. Try another brand if it happens again without making any adjustments and see if the problem goes away. This theory kind of makes sense, especially if amir had it happen at higher altitudes {lean}, in which e-10 will amplifiy the problem. IMO.....
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Update

Well folks, I just got my V back from the shop today.

Sure enough the idle speed was way down around 800 RPM or so!

Turned her up a few notches to 1,000 RPM and I'll keep an eye on it for awhile.

The dealer did a good job of repair, but no discount.

Ride Safe!

Monte
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 08:24 PM

800 RPM....?!?!?!?! Shoot, I didn't think it would even run at that low an RPM. No wonder.....

BTW....you should keep the idle somwhere closer to the spec, 1300+/- 50 if memory serves me correctly. There are a number of issues THAT A LOW IDLE CAN CAUSE,:
1. Oil pressure, circulation, and deprivation of oil to the top end. Let alone the cooling oil jets under the pistons.
2. Extremely low rpm is very hard on a motor,...even at idle....and the cylinder pulses can cause the working pieces and parts to "hammer" themselves to death.
3. STALLING!!!!!

AND....not to start a war, but I'd be very upset at the Dealer for letting it go that way, at the very least they should offer to fix it for you. It sounds like a blatant "error" on their part.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 08:48 PM

Glad to hear your Ok Mhansen and a cager didn't friggin run over you... You might think (and hopefully you will never need them) is a set of crash bars. They saved my V from some serious repair on a drop...Only a scratch on the bars (crash) themselves, best money I've spent...Safe ridin to ya

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm... Could've sworn I had posted in this thread...

Anyway, glad you're ok!

I'm curious, was it Universal City Kawasaki?

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Update (2)

Redline,

She ran at 800 RPM, but now that Iíve bumped it up I can tell she wasnít happy.

All good points on the possible effects of low idling, I did actually move the idle up to about 1250 (which is the lower end of the range specified in the manual) I may take it up just a bit more, but had no stumbles whatsoever today, and I tried to stall it on purpose!

Iím not so sure I can put all the blame on the dealer. Iíve had the bike for a year now. I did read the manual cover to cover, and STILL never thought to check the idle, even after she stalled a couple of times on me. Thatís not to say that the dealer shouldnít have checked it also, but the final responsibility is always on the operator.

Contractor,

Iíve sure thought about the bars now, and my knee would sure appreciate them!

Bear,

It was indeed Universal City Kawasaki. Theyíre not the friendliest bunch.. The have a good product , and good prices.

They treated me fairly on the repairs.

Thanks to all for all your good wishes.

Monte
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHansen105 View Post
Redline,

She ran at 800 RPM, but now that Iíve bumped it up I can tell she wasnít happy.

All good points on the possible effects of low idling, I did actually move the idle up to about 1250 (which is the lower end of the range specified in the manual) I may take it up just a bit more, but had no stumbles whatsoever today, and I tried to stall it on purpose!

Iím not so sure I can put all the blame on the dealer. Iíve had the bike for a year now. I did read the manual cover to cover, and STILL never thought to check the idle, even after she stalled a couple of times on me. Thatís not to say that the dealer shouldnít have checked it also, but the final responsibility is always on the operator.

Contractor,

Iíve sure thought about the bars now, and my knee would sure appreciate them!

Bear,

It was indeed Universal City Kawasaki. Theyíre not the friendliest bunch.. The have a good product , and good prices.

They treated me fairly on the repairs.

Thanks to all for all your good wishes.

Monte

Agreed!

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 10:09 PM

thought of this thread today and checked my idle... mine was also low, near 800or so... but here at this low elevation that didnt stop her from running like a top! either way, i bumped it up to about 1250ish...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode