New, obvious source of 2nd gen buzz - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New, obvious source of 2nd gen buzz

I just got back from a long-ish ride that included a couple long, fast-ish runs on washboarded dirt roads. Once back on pavement, my mostly buzz-less 2010 V was buzzing like a bee from 4k to 5k RPM. Really loud this time.

Once I got back and took the fairings off, I found this:

That's the ear that holds the front of the side cowlings to the bike. Not only is the rubber grommet missing, but the dern thing is broken clean through. Not only that, but the small tab in front of this mounting point - the tab that fits up by the headlight - is damaged a bit, worn away at the back.

Anyone else seen this kind of failure? The right side is broken, too, but less material is missing, so the fitting still provides a small amount of help keeping that cowling in place and stationary. But the left side - whoa! If I run at 4500 RPM and put my hand on that piece up by the dash, my bike is (relatively) silent again.

I'm going to wrap the metal piece that mates with this feature in foam, and then try to find a way to rebuild this feature. We'll see how well that works...

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 03:48 PM

Happened to me at one side when I was not knowing (remembering) what I was doing when trying to take the cowling off. I forgot to push the piece forward. It said: Crack!
Fixed that with Epoxy Glue and put the rubber grommet back after the glue hardened.
Never heard that this could occur by itself.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders55 View Post
Happened to me at one side when I was not knowing (remembering) what I was doing when trying to take the cowling off. I forgot to push the piece forward. It said: Crack!
Fixed that with Epoxy Glue and put the rubber grommet back after the glue hardened.
Never heard that this could occur by itself.
+1 I used JB Weld on mine.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Yeah - I don't have the grommet or the rest of that plastic ring any more, so I'm going to have to build one up with epoxy and wire. But, for now I just wrapped the metal attachment point in some felt I had lying around, and it's a whole lot quieter....

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode