better for vibes- rox risers or power commander or? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
better for vibes- rox risers or power commander or?

The only downside to this bike that bothers me is the handlebar vibes around 5k-ish.
Rox anti-vibe risers sound appealing, but there isn't a lot of info on them on this forum, and I hate the way they look....aluminum protaper bars helped after the crossbar was removed....but I wonder if a correctly programmed a/f ratio ala the PC, Juicebox, TFI, etc. helps smooth out the motor in the 4k to 6k range where I spend most of my time even more? Maybe I should just get a triple clamp milled for dirt bike risers with iso-mounts, then use harley/cruiser risers to get the bars up high enough again (no, I don't want to run ape hangers )
what do y'all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 01:48 PM

Pour the bars full of lead shot and use heavy bar-end weights. I don't really notice anything with mine. If your hands are getting numb, you might be unconsciously squeezing the grips too hard.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like an awful lot of money & work to try to smooth a tiny bit of vibration. Maybe you should spend a little time on the KTM big singles (I believe they call them 'paint shakers') for perspective.

I know there are a couple of guys here that have the risers. Wouldn't hurt to shoot them a PM & ask their opinions...

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 01:58 PM

I have the Rox Risers and I like them. I didn't notice that much vibration before and still don't. I notice numbness in my hands but it's from gripping the bars to tight. A friend is giving me a throttle meister lock with the xtraheavy bar weights. I'll try them out, but I don't really have a vibration issue.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 02:12 PM

I just installed the Rox Risers yesterday but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I'm leaving on a week long trip trip tomorrow so I'll have plenty of time to try them out. Stay tuned...

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There are no perceived vibrations in the handlebars, and the image in my mirrors is always clear with my tapered aluminum handlebars (Tag Metals T2) without the bar end weights. I was able to fit a set of Moose Racing riser/adapter for the fat bar, but they would be easily installed with Rox riser/adapter.

Last edited by invader; 03-29-2009 at 08:08 PM.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
If your hands are getting numb, you might be unconsciously squeezing the grips too hard.
That's my vote. It is easy to do. I did it for the first week I was on the Versys. There is nothing close to a lot of vibes in these handlebars compared to my past experience. Ride a KLR for 600 miles in one day and gain a whole new appreciation for handlebar vibration!

That lead shot will definitely help. I did it on my - you guessed it - KLR.

2008 Versys
2003 DRZ250
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Sounds like an awful lot of money & work to try to smooth a tiny bit of vibration. Maybe you should spend a little time on the KTM big singles (I believe they call them 'paint shakers') for perspective.

I know there are a couple of guys here that have the risers. Wouldn't hurt to shoot them a PM & ask their opinions...
I did not see this post before I offered up my commentary on the KLR. But the end all mother af all vibrating machines is definitely anything built on the KTM 690 LC4 platform. Vicious vibes. But way powerful. I rode a Supermoto on the track and was terrified to go over about 80 MPH fearing that the thing would grenade.

2008 Versys
2003 DRZ250
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 04:47 PM

I use the damping mounts from Rox and I know that the vibs in the mirrors are less. I really didn't have an issue with vibs in the hand grips and I have the weights removed with handguards installed. The nice thing about these risers is that the vibration is somewhat adjustable with the compression of a rubber isolator. Just tighten or loosen a nut. Most people will need to get use to the feel of rubber mounted handle bars so be aware. For me I like that they also rasise the bars to where standing on the pegs doesn't have me bending over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 08:12 PM

My right hand was going numb from riding, changed to gel grips and also slipped a slice of gel (cut from foot install type thingies) into my gloves, only the index finger....

All is good now
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 08:39 PM

Good vibrations, rising

I've seen so many beautiful swept risers;
why these gotta be so fugly?

Vibration seems to be a subjective thing.
My Grip Puppies took out so much I have
to look at the tach to see if it's still running.

[edited to remove offending references
to days and bikes long gone]

Versys vibration? It's possible...

Last edited by AvaChava; 04-03-2009 at 12:02 PM.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 09:32 AM

I've owned all of the old big singles from time to time, BSA Gold Stars, Velocette, AJS-Matchless, and never really had issues with vibration. I still have a '67 Triumph Bonneville, and ride it for hours with no ill effect. I prefer skinny grips, currently Renthal MX hard compounds. I ride loose, with my hands just lying on the bars, and always lay two fingers on both the clutch and brake levers. Numbness is commonly caused by unconsciously being tense and squeezing the bars. Vibration can make it worse, but the numbness is caused by cutting off the blood supply through squeezing.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Numbness is commonly caused by unconsciously being tense and squeezing the bars. Vibration can make it worse, but the numbness is caused by cutting off the blood supply through squeezing.
That's exactly what I told another rider...yea, ischemia sucks.

It's funny how a lot of replies are, "You think this bike vibrates, well, back in the day, blah blah..." Did you also crawl thru 2 miles of snow to get to school? Uphill? I love the hardasses on this forum...
See, I mostly commute on a triumph triple, and that's a damn smooth bike, so RELATIVELY speaking, the V vibes are bothersome, though my paws don't go numb or anything like that. Anyway, thanks for the responses
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 12:44 PM

I'm not attempting to "hardass" anyone. I'm just stating that learning to ride relaxed solves a lot of problems, problems that are blamed on equipment at times.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomla View Post
That's exactly what I told another rider...yea, ischemia sucks.

It's funny how a lot of replies are, "You think this bike vibrates, well, back in the day, blah blah..." Did you also crawl thru 2 miles of snow to get to school? Uphill? I love the hardasses on this forum...
See, I mostly commute on a triumph triple, and that's a damn smooth bike, so RELATIVELY speaking, the V vibes are bothersome, though my paws don't go numb or anything like that. Anyway, thanks for the responses

Which one????

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
I just installed the Rox Risers yesterday but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I'm leaving on a week long trip trip tomorrow so I'll have plenty of time to try them out. Stay tuned...
OK, well I've put a few miles on the bike since adding the Rox. Frankly I didn't have a problem with the vibes initially and that's not why I added the risers but I'd have to say it's probably cut it down a little. I still get some around 4k but other than that it's smooth as butter. Actually, I'd have to say the vibes are more contingent on the road surface than the engine rpm.
Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticken to it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1222 (2).JPG (82.9 KB, 112 views)

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 06:32 PM

blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomla View Post
Hey man, if it really bothers you I can delete the post.
Sorry for sharing blah blah blah. Really didn't think riding
vibrating crap in my youth made me a hardass; just trying
to bring some perspective to the vibes. Geesh!

Fact is I did have to shovel a 150' cinder driveway,
sometime both ways, to get to school. That's why
I moved the fark out of the frozen north!

Lemmeno if you want that post changed; I was
trying to be helpful/funny, not irritating...
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaChava View Post
Hey man, if it really bothers you I can delete the post.
Fact is I did have to shovel a 150' cinder driveway,
sometime both ways, to get to school. That's why
I moved the fark out of the frozen north!

Lemmeno if you want that post changed; I was
trying to be helpful/funny, not irritating...

Hey AvaChava, I appreciated the post - thought it was cute. Actually, I don't see any real hardasses on this forum. That's why I like it so much. Everyone just tries to be helpful. Typed messages are easily misunderstood, as we all know.
And for what it's worth, we had to walk 5 miles to school, barefooted in the winter. Why, we'd wrap barbed wire around our feet just for traction in the snow cause it was uphill both ways!

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 08:18 AM

Actually, I walked to elementary school, but it was 5 blocks, not miles. Mom didn't drive until I was 14, and dad used the car for work, which was pretty much the case for everyone.

The point is, riding in the 1960s required a lot more commitment than it does now, mainly because a lot of the things that made it easier and safer didn't exist. And that's probably why I'm more accepting of what I consider minor annoyances.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

missed the point?

I think you guys missed the part where I said, " I LOVE the hardasses on this forum." I really find those kind of posts where folks one-up or get all hardcore pretty funny. I also smile when I see a poster ask a question, and the thread gets hijacked over to some unrelated thing...I'm a student of human nature so keep on speaking your mind, while you still can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode