Mirrors - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mirrors

What a pain in the azz these mirrors are, I have the extenders (which work great) to clearly see behind. However, both mirrors vibrate so bad I can not see clearly behind me! What has everyone done to correct this situation? Thanks

Regards,

Dave

2009 Versys (Metallic Moon dust Gray) Speedy lowering pegs, Speedy Kick stand pad, Speedy Mirror extensions, Vario Windshield, Oxford heated grips and SW-Motech Engine Guards.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 KLR (Red) - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 08:42 PM

Go up to the top of the page
click on "search"
type in "mirror"
You should find lots of info. Good luck.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 09:59 PM

Hey Dave,

The best mirrors I've found for the Versys is the factory ZRX mirrors. They are all metal so they vibrate less plus they work really well to see behind you.

There is usually someone on the ZRXOA forum that have used ones for sale for around 30 to 40 bucks a pair shipped.

Dan

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:03 PM

Anybody know if Speedy is working on extenders that help quell some of the mirror vibes?
May have to look into the ZRX mirrors...

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:45 PM

I use KTM mirrors and they seem to work great and I think they look better than the Kawi rectangle stock ones.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks folks for all the suggestions Jeff and Dan, do you have picks of these mirrors installed? Thanks

Regards,

Dave

2009 Versys (Metallic Moon dust Gray) Speedy lowering pegs, Speedy Kick stand pad, Speedy Mirror extensions, Vario Windshield, Oxford heated grips and SW-Motech Engine Guards.

2008 KLR (Red) - Sold
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 09:18 AM

FWIW, I tried the rubber isolated mirror mounts available from Whitehorse Gear and they did not do the trick. They're meant for gen 1 KLR's which has really bad mirror shake. Unfortunately all they did was turn the high frequency buzz into a lower frequency shake. I had a set of EMGO Mark II mirrors in my parts bin and they look great, stick out farther, and vibrate way less.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
Thanks folks for all the suggestions Jeff and Dan, do you have picks of these mirrors installed? Thanks

Sorry, I can't help you here. I just run with the stock mirrors and put up with the vibration. I've got the miror dampers on my KLR and I'd have to agree they don't help much - if any.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 10:25 AM

I'll take some today. I never did use the stock mirrors so I can't compare the two, but I still see some of my shoulder but don't have a problem seeing the vehicles behind me.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 12:55 PM

I think someone on here was able to get the right dose of silicone caulk injected into the mirror to quell vibes...but I don't think they stated exactly how much they put in. I tried 2 oz and it wasn't enough. try stick on wheel weights and then transfer the amount to the caulk gun, or there's always the switch to other bikes mirror's trick...I like the z1000 mirrors and the tuono mirrors as far as looks go.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 03:37 PM

I just put on a set of mirrors that are Honda mirrors. They are for the 650 XRL model.

I bought them from Fred, at Arrowhead motorsports in Moab Utah. I paid $80 to my door, very fast service.

They are not any bigger than the stock mirrors, and they do not stick out any further than the stockers.

They do work!! They cut down the vibration a whole bunch.I am amazed at how little vibration I have now, and can see very clearly . Nothing is going to completely eliminate all vibration, but these come very close, I recommend these.

I have tried mirror extenders, and they make the vibration worse, and only give marginally better coverage. Any time you add a longer piece of linkage to the handlebars the more vibration you will get. I quit trying to use the extenders they just made matters worse for me.

I believe Dual Star also sells the same mirrors, but I had a hard time getting in contact with them so I went from Arrowhead, Fred is great to do business with.

Regards August

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 08:59 PM

Mirror, mirror on the bar, how I wonder why you jar

I've noticed that despite the lack of perceptible
vibration in the bars, I still notice a slight amount
of shake in the left mirror. Only thing I can think
is the brake reservoir acts as a damper on the
right side. I use the riser/extenders, which did
not change the amount of shake. Stock bar end
weights for now, although it might wind up with
some heavier Throttlemeister weights some time...
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Folks for all the suggestions, I think I will look for another set of mirrors to install.

Regards,

Dave

2008 KLR (Red) - Sold
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 07:40 AM

2008 Kawasaki Z1000 mirrors, Speedy's mirror extenders, and CRG Hindsight knock-off bar end mirrors as well. This setup works really well for me. I'm about ready to re-do the handlebars again (Pro Taper SE ATV High's) and remount my Zeta handguards as well. Pics to follow when finished..

Jim

post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 09:09 AM

I installed the Speedy extenders over the winter, and I decided to reinistall my stock mirrors on the extenders. Now the stockers won't stay put! I have cranked on them to tighten them up, but they still flop around a bit. Any ideas? I may just go back to the Emgos I had on before.

-Alan
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordguy View Post
I installed the Speedy extenders over the winter, and I decided to reinistall my stock mirrors on the extenders. Now the stockers won't stay put! I have cranked on them to tighten them up, but they still flop around a bit. Any ideas? I may just go back to the Emgos I had on before.

-Alan
Tighten the 10mm bolt on the inside of the mirror:
* Fully remove mirror from bike.
* Separate adapter (black/gray) from top silver colored 'nut'. Careful - silver-colored nut is very soft.
* Remove the 10mm bolt, add a drop or two of blue thread-lock to threads, then reassemble (don't forget the spacers). Tighten down to spec (19-25 ft-lbs).
* Install adapter to bike and tighten.
* Attach mirror to adapter and tighten.
* Adjust mirror to correct position for you. (Should be much harder to turn.)
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:11 AM

Blue LockTight.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:16 AM

Thumbs up

Sweet lookin ride MackD...Nice shield...Mikes?

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:51 AM

You should ask Invader what his secret is. Could it be the Tag bars???...this is one of his posts from a thread "rox risers v. power commander", about bar vibes.

"There are no perceived vibrations in the handlebars, and the image in my mirrors is always clear with my tapered aluminum handlebars (Tag Metals T2) without the bar end weights."
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acinonyx View Post
Tighten the 10mm bolt on the inside of the mirror:
I did that. The issue now is that the black mirror base and the pressed steel collette don't stay tight. The the collette and everything above turns. The base stays formly screwed into the mirror extender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode